Quantcast

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
http://www.vitalmtb.com/news/news/Aaron-Gwin-and-John-Tomac-Team-Up,222

The “Legend” John Tomac and current Downhill US National Champion Aaron Gwin, have teamed up, and are currently training hard for the 2011 Downhill World Cup Season. Tomac’s resume and reputation speak for itself, and when it came time to make the decision on who and what could make Aaron Gwin’s program better, it was an easy choice to seek the guidance of Johnny T.

Already well into the training program, Gwin had this to say about his new Trainer,
“I'm super excited to be working with Johnny T. this year. I think the experience he brings with racing and training, is going to be a huge asset to my program. I couldn't be happier and I look forward to developing this relationship for many years to come!”

Tomac had this to say about training Gwin,
“I am really looking forward to helping Aaron in 2011. I believe my racing experience and my training approach will help him rise to another level. I’d really like to see an American back on top of the podium in both World Cup&World Championship Downhill Racing”

2011 is shaping up to be an exciting season, see you at the races!

VADHPROMO

Monkey
Dec 1, 2004
A, A
Definitely.

But otherwise, cool news. John T is one of my favorite all time riders.
NO DOUBT Johnny T can ride anything on two wheels.

He won Lorrrettas Lynns Moto Title at some point . JT also has a son that won a Moto National Championship class.
Awesome History lesson as they are the only father and son that can
claim a class win at the finals in Tennesse.
Something I read at www.racerx.com

Gwinn & the Knighter should have swapped machines.
Best 2 out of 3 might gotten dangerous & crazy.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
Surely pretty average on a Moto, or he'd be making ten times as much cash twisting throttles as he is turning pedals.

Edit: And by pretty average i mean about twelvty times better than i could ever dream of being.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Interesting news for sure. Tomac is god-like to me and anyone else who's got a sense of history for MTB racing, and it'll be really interesting to see how that translates to training another athlete. Assuming he had something to do with imparting wisdom and skill on Eli (and it wasn't just some genetic thing that results in two-wheeled domination), I think it's a forgone conclusion that this will work out well for Gwin.

How good was Gwin on the crossers, what did he race? I've no idea, it's always mentioned but never in any detail!
There was an interesting interview on Pinkbike a few weeks back where Gwin talked about his MX experiences. From the sounds of it, he had tons of talent, but he couldn't stay healthy.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
As much experience as Tomac has in his own right, I can only imagine that he's absorbed a lot of useful knowledge watching Eli come through the ranks as well that would be applicable. Cant wait to see the results! Although not likely, at the rate he's progressed who knows we could see a dominating season out of him.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Surprisingly he is doing east, more time to get in moto shape I guess :thumb:

I just hope all the big players stay healthy in next years WC´s, esp Barel.
Yeah, Barel never ceases to amaze me, comeback kid of DH.. Awesome news about Gwin as well, he knows how to train, I'm sure w/the help of Tomac it will just further his results.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
... will I get beaned for brining up the doping rumors that started to surface a few years ago? Tomac was an early idol, but I heard some bad juju re: EPO.

Still, this is cool news.

ragdoll

Chimp
Dec 21, 2004
Hudson Falls, NY
No more pictures.. PLEASE!!! You guys are bringing back memories of my Killington incident this summer! And the rod in my leg reminds me its there enough on its own thanks to the cold NY winter...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Am I the only one missing how Tomac, having no formal exercise science degree, and a boatload of DH wins back when we pedaled down fire roads....is an improvement in coaching?

Granted, his words might carry more weight from experience alone, but this is sort of like Lance Armstrong offering to train Bubba Stewart in my eyes.

Please don't flame. I'm a massive Tomac fan...but can someone explain the logic part?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Am I the only one missing how Tomac, having no formal exercise science degree, and a boatload of DH wins back when we pedaled down fire roads....is an improvement in coaching?

Granted, his words might carry more weight from experience alone, but this is sort of like Lance Armstrong offering to train Bubba Stewart in my eyes.

Please don't flame. I'm a massive Tomac fan...but can someone explain the logic part?
ive been wondering that too but worried about getting flamed for mentioning it.

James Wilson's program seem to work pretty well for him last year. :rolleyes:

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
3rd.

Although I know Tomac is removed from ownership, it's kind of funny that the athlete he's teamed up with is not on the bike bearing his name (which doesn't seem to be doing so well).

Last edited:

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
:rofl:

Exercise science degrees are handed out like hot cakes to kids who are already licensed pro to keep them in school.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Exercise degrees are like art degrees=stupid. If you have the talent to teach/coach combined with the experience of being a champion, the possibilities are endless.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Agreed. Just because somebody can run for 80 miles without stopping and tell you 39 different ways to stretch your left asscheek, doesn't mean they can make you a pro at a sport, no matter what it is. (no, thats not a jab at James. James rules.)

First, a lot of you might be missing the fact that Tomac won a few of those...whaddya call em...XC races. You know, the ones that go up too? And require a bit of fitness. Then theres that whole road racing thing...trivial facts I know, but might mean Tomac knows a thing or two about fitness.

Then theres the whole mental game, line choice, etc... I am betting my left nut that if Tomac trained any of you schlubs, you'd get assloads faster than any personal trainer could make you. I mean honestly, if you were going into the NBA, who would you want training you? Michael Jordan, or Richard Simmons?