Quantcast

Oh Super ... How much will this cost???

SloMoJo

Monkey
Dec 17, 2002
New England
So I'm driving outta the parking lot this morn from an appt ... car just dies.
Start her up ...fine ..put in gear ..dies. Repeat 3X.

Had her towed to the shop ...thank you AAA ... missed 2 meetings this morn.
She's at the shop and I'm back working from home.

Ole 99 4Runner I have squeaked out 190K on ..looking forward to the 200k mark.
Only hint was ..temp gauge went off the chart, but it's not actually overheated...plenty fluid.

Here's the 2 questions I pose to this group of smarty pantie people:

1. What do you think the problem is?

2. What do you guess this is gonna cost me? :think:

Last edited:

JetTeach

Monkey
Aug 18, 2011
Check the positive battery cable. If it loses contact momentarily it will kill the fuel pump. Had a Chevy truck that did this for years until I figured it out. The cable may seem tight but check it anyway.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i had a '98 tacoma that i had a few odd, but minor, issues with that may have been similar to your situation

-starter died. had to replace the starter cylinder in the platty parking lot

-i had overheat issues. twice. bad radiator block both times. dunno how the f that happened.

-misfire cylinder #2. apparently this was a known issue for the vehicle. truck got "warrantied" and bought back by toyota before this got properly diagnosed and repaired. i think i dodged a big expensive bullet here tho

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
Check the positive battery cable. If it loses contact momentarily it will kill the fuel pump. Had a Chevy truck that did this for years until I figured it out. The cable may seem tight but check it anyway.
This happened to my buddy's 98 4runner. They ended up replacing the alt before they figured it out. Don't know about the temp gauge though..

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
My money is on electrical. I'm with JetTeach, the temp gauge is just a byproduct of an electrical issue. Something interfering/shorting with the ignition or fuel pump.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
In all honesty, I don't think whatever it is will be expensive...the hard part may just be finding the cause since it could be quite a few different things. Depends on how good the shop is.

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
another guess...

Does this engine have one serpentine belt doing the cooling fan & alternator? No belt, equals no cooling fan - possible hot engine if in slow/stop traffic, and with no alternator, well now your running off just the battery. It's possible it stalled b/c you had drained the batt low enough so the coil couldn't produce spark...

edit - nope, you couldn't have tried to start it 3X if batt was dead...bad guess

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
4runner

check/clean throttle bore for excess carbon
check/clean idle air control valve for excess carbon

stalling and temp gauge symptoms may not be related
temp gauge input on 98 toyota is by a separate temp sensor
temp input for ECU is from coolant temp sensor

SloMoJo

Monkey
Dec 17, 2002
New England
confused.jpg

That was me this morn.
Fortunately ...Mark at the shop is a smarter monkey.

Just called me ... He asked ..
"Have you used you remote car starter lately?"

I had not even thought of that ... Duh. :confused:
He said a shorted wired by the brakes was causing the security feature of the remote starter thingie to trip.
I have to press the brakes to put in gear ..that was tripping it.

The temp thing is still a mystery ...maybe electrical weirdness. He has cut the problem wire and going to take it for a drive and report back.

This may not be so bad after all.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
hopefully he knows what he is doing with remote starters. "cutting the problem wire" can/could be a bigger cluster F then it currently is...ive seen plenty of these "solutions" in my shop

SloMoJo

Monkey
Dec 17, 2002
New England
Thanks for the feedback guys.

hopefully he knows what he is doing with remote starters. "cutting the problem wire" can/could be a bigger cluster F then it currently is...ive seen plenty of these "solutions" in my shop
Good point man ...I called the place that installed it. Down the road from the shop.
They said bring it in after the shop is done and they will sort it out.

200k is still in sight. :thumb:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I swear....every damn electrical problem I've had on a used car leads back to some dip**** that installed/fixed an alarm.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I hate remote start features.
The stupid remote start harness someone left in the Subie was the problem I had with all my lights way back when. Is it really that effing hard to just walk out and start your car when its cold you pvssies? :rant:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
The stupid remote start harness someone left in the Subie was the problem I had with all my lights way back when. Is it really that effing hard to just walk out and start your car when its cold you pvssies? :rant:
While we're ranting I'd like to rant about the remote lock/unlock/alarm feature. When that system goes to $hit it causes no end of fvcking problems. Is it really so difficult to just press the "lock" button when you get out of the car? And who the FVCK worries about their car getting stolen? 'Specially when it's a goddam 15 year old Subaru?? :rant:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
While we're ranting I'd like to rant about the remote lock/unlock/alarm feature. When that system goes to $hit it causes no end of fvcking problems. Is it really so difficult to just press the "lock" button when you get out of the car? And who the FVCK worries about their car getting stolen? 'Specially when it's a goddam 15 year old Subaru?? :rant:

I <3 my Jeep for this very reason.....didn't even come with key fobs.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
sorry, did that not make sense? cause i dont know how a temp gauge can spike and not be overheating. unless its a bad temp gauge of course
i mean i have the same question.

if the water temp went thru the roof, and the engine starts stalling after that, besides whatever issue (thermostat/electrical/dirty throttle/idle body) it had in the first place, there is a good chance the head gasket is gone and head might be warped.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i mean i have the same question.

if the water temp went thru the roof, and the engine starts stalling after that, besides whatever issue (thermostat/electrical/dirty throttle/idle body) it had in the first place, there is a good chance the head gasket is gone and head might be warped.
agreed