Quantcast

Oh that poor Ferrari!

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Oh that poor Ferrari? Not even. It's street legal, and it's fast, hence it met its destiny early in life. The accident could easily have been from driver inexperience. That's a lot of horsepower to handle right there, and it's not very likely he had the skill to control it, especially after a couple rum and cokes. The car was built to drive, might as well use it. What if the world ended tomorrow, and you never took your Enzo out of the garage? You'd feel like quite the tool watching that huge, burning astroid falling down from the heavens.

One could say it's sad that such a car met its destiny on the streets, but it was designed to be street legal and still fast. Now they'll sell another. Smart guys over there at Ferrari.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
stinkyboy said:
Don't they have paddle shifters too? An expertise that most car jackers have mastered...
Getting the Enzo is the hard part the shifters are pretty straight forward.
Pull both for neutral then start the car
Right paddle is upshift and left is downshift
There isn't even a clutch to worry about

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
maxyedor said:
I'm sure it's good for racing but I can't help but think part of the reason for the auto clutch is so the stupid clowns with too much money and no skills don't stall their million dollar cars in front of the velvet rope at the Hard Rock. :mumble:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Curb Hucker said:
No matter how much money you need insurance to drive anything before getting behind the wheel. Being an uninsured driver is an arrestable offense, even if you have $50million.

Actually Most with a car like that do NOT have insurance. Law does Not require Insurance, it requires Finacial responsibilty, For most <97% of drivers> that means Insurance. But others such as those able to afford a ferrari in teh first place, sign a form when they register the car that shows they have a Minimum amount of money available to them at any point and time. I dont know teh numbers off hand, but it is alot, My Ins covers a total of 75,000 from different areas 30,15,30...... not sure teh break down. But The card itself even reads that the Ins policy meets the requirement for minimum fiancial responsibilty for california. My guess would be that Minimum fiancial responsibility on a Ferrari is Probably over a Million. But Bottom line is guy ran because 200 Mph equals jail time... Alot

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
OGRipper said:
I'm sure it's good for racing but I can't help but think part of the reason for the auto clutch is so the stupid clowns with too much money and no skills don't stall their million dollar cars in front of the velvet rope at the Hard Rock. :mumble:
The reason for the auto clutch is no human can hit a clutch nearly as fast at the actuators on the auto clutch can. Faster shifts make for faster cars.

Dirtymike: the driver can have a bond on their liscense that garuntees they have financial responsibility. In cali. it is to the tune of $100,000 (I think) and is not dependent on what you drive. It is to garuntee you can pay for what you destroy that belongs to someone else.

also most guys would have that car insured, they just get their insurance from specialty companies. The insurance has certain milage limits typicly. They would also likly not pay out for a streetracing accident or a DUI related crash, much less both at once:eek:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
maxyedor said:
those arent that rare, m5's have paddle shifters now..

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I heard on the news this morning, that the guy who was sitting in the car didn’t actually own the car. Apparently, the local police department received a call from a bank in Scotland, who said they actually owned the car after it was repossessed…

J

JRB

I am with dirtymike. You can be self insured. There are tons of company vehicles that are. When I was hit by Eva Longoria driving a Hertz rental car, they told me they were self insured. Hertz that is.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
maxyedor said:
While you turn the key with your mouth?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
stinkyboy said:
While you turn the key with your mouth?
Push-button start on the steering wheel....

Side-note: Saw a guy with a brand new Lambo Murcielago, drives it off the show lot I was driving by...gets onto the freeway.... Revs it to about 3 grand, slips the clutch sooooo bad, takes off till the elec. rev limiter kicks in, shifts, slips the clutch again, all the way to the limiter....No wonder all the Lambo mechanics are well off...their customers have no idea how to break in an engine....

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
manimal said:
flux capacitor?
No, thats the kanuter valve. And probably what caused the accident. They are notorious for failing at the most inopportune time on all Ferrari's. Normally it just leaves you stranded in your nice hunk of metal, except for when it happens under full throtle and at a high rate of speed, which can lock up the transmission casuing the back end to swing out uncontrollably. Even Mario Andretti can't save a car in that situation. The driver and navigator were unfortunate, but lucky to walk away from stage seven of '06's Socal Coctail Rally.

Yes, I know I'm a retard w/ too much time on my hands right now.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
d.e.f. said:
No, thats the kanuter valve. And probably what caused the accident. They are notorious for failing at the most inopportune time on all Ferrari's. Normally it just leaves you stranded in your nice hunk of metal, except for when it happens under full throtle and at a high rate of speed...
My money is on the .09bal+street racing=oops equation myself.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
jimmydean said:
My money is on the .09bal+street racing=oops equation myself.
You've got your story and I've got mine. :) Mine sounds more fun, yours is boring and has too much "reality" in it. :rofl:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Secret Squirrel said:
Push-button start on the steering wheel....
Yep there is a red buton that you push with your right thumb (I think) beleive it or not I have never driven an Enzo. I just watch a lot of car shows on TV and look at a lot or cars very closely. In fact I don't think the key does anything except unlock the doors.

As far as the M5 and other paddle shifted cars, most don't realy shift with the paddles. They are sinply switches that tell the trany that you would like to shift, then the thrany decides if it wants to shift, then it might just shift for you. This system is slower than a standard auto gearbox, but a great sales feature

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
chicodude said:
The start button is on the center council (sp?)
Your right, in that case I have no idea what the button on the wheel does. You have to put it in neutral before you start it. then you can crash it.

Merrrrrrjig. Guys probably took all kinds of crap from the car. The towtruck driver or drivers are going to be selling Enzo parts all over ebay.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
maxyedor said:
As far as the M5 and other paddle shifted cars, most don't realy shift with the paddles. They are sinply switches that tell the trany that you would like to shift, then the thrany decides if it wants to shift, then it might just shift for you. This system is slower than a standard auto gearbox, but a great sales feature

I take it you have never driven a SMG Bmw or a DSG Audi. They are called automatics because they have a auto mode but they are 6 speed manuals with a computer activated clutch. They are without a doubt the fastest shifting cars on the market.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Hawkeye said:
I take it you have never driven a SMG Bmw or a DSG Audi. They are called automatics because they have a auto mode but they are 6 speed manuals with a computer activated clutch. They are without a doubt the fastest shifting cars on the market.
I was making a generalization the Bimmer does shift pretty fast, I haven't driven the Audi yet. Even Aston Martins have that issue, the Ferrari system is you push it shifts. Most others go through an algorythim to determine weather or not it is safe to shift, then they shift. Anything with an auto. mode will likley have the 2nd style of shifting wich is inherently slower, some are still pretty fast but most are uslessly slow.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
maxyedor said:
That is one seriously screwed Sweed.
It sounds like he might be in some pretty serious trouble. Apparently, the car was sent here as a "show-car," that was not to be driven. No one is too sure how this moron actually had the car in his possession . Considering that a bank in Scotland claims they are the legal owner of the car...

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
maxyedor said:
I was making a generalization the Bimmer does shift pretty fast, I haven't driven the Audi yet. Even Aston Martins have that issue, the Ferrari system is you push it shifts. Most others go through an algorythim to determine weather or not it is safe to shift, then they shift. Anything with an auto. mode will likley have the 2nd style of shifting wich is inherently slower, some are still pretty fast but most are uslessly slow.

Drive the audi. Even in auto mode it shifts so fast. you could never shift a manual that fast

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
The system used on these types of cars is really quite an Impressive one. I am talking about all the cars listed with the Auto shift manual trani setups. They start with a differnt shift lid, Instead of a SHifter handle you have a solenoid assembly and a computer. Then you remove teh Throttle Cable and install a Potentiometer and a High speed Stepper motor. More commonly known today as Drive by wire. So what happens and how do they shift so fast???. Well the Autoclutch only Ever Dissengages when you stop or When its absolutly needed. The computer system Controls how much throttle you have and when to change the gears. Instead of Dissengaging the clutch everytime the Vehicle shifts, to save time the computer just Syncronized teh speed of the motor and transmission. A style of driving Truckdrivers have been doing for years. Only with the aid of a computer and speed of electronics. Not saying that the auto clutch is never used, but only when absolutly necessary. Just like when your drag racing a crotch rocket, you dont cluth, you just back off a hair and click the shifter, obtaining a faster smoother high speed shift.

Just a quick overveiw there of these systems, To go any further without confusion would be to go and take a class. Its about a six month class to learn about it all, and a tough one at that. The Drive by wire on teh accelerator is also were this system gets its traction control from, allows teh vehicle to maximixe its power to traction ratio simply by backing off the Accelerator a bit. Hell of alot of engeniering went into these, and there getting more and more common, even Chevrolet uses it on alot of there Tahoe's and Suburban's. The new H3 uses it as well. Very neat system.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I......Want........That........Car!

That sucks bad, that guy is lucky to have walked away from it! one of my buddies just wrapped a Dragster around a tree in almost the same fashion. It didn't split in half, but he's lucky to be alive, i'll tell you that much!