Oh that poor Ferrari!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
***UPDATE***UPDATE***
This newz story has a typo! :p

Man in L.A. Ferrari Crash Is Arrested

LOS ANGELES - The Swedish video game entrepreneur involved in the 162-mph crash of a Ferrari has been arrested, accused of grand theft for an unauthorized collection of exotic cars, authorities said.

Detectives concluded that the wrecked Enzo Ferrari — one of only 400 made — along with a Mercedes and another Enzo Ferrari in Stefan Eriksson's collection were actually owned by British financial institutions, said Sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore.

Eriksson apparently brought the cars to Los Angeles when he moved from Britain last year, but the financial institutions that held the titles said his payments had lapsed. Authorities have said the $600,000 Mercedes had been reported stolen to London's Scotland Yard. The Ferrari was worth more than $1 million.

All three cars have been confiscated, and Eriksson, 44, was arrested at his Bel-Air home Saturday, Whitmore said.

He is being held without bail because U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement put a hold him, the Los Angeles Times reported Monday.

The Ferrari crash spun into a web of mystery when Eriksson told authorities he was only a passenger in the car and that the driver was a German acquaintance he knew only as Dietrich. He said Dietrich ran into the hills, but a search by deputies turned up no one.

Officials have questioned Eriksson's story, noting that only the driver's side air bag had blood on it and Eriksson had a cut lip. The front of the red Ferrari crumpled when it slammed into a poll [sic] on the Pacific Coast Highway on Feb. 21.

Eriksson was an executive with Gizmondo, a European video game company that filed for bankruptcy.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
jimmydean said:
Busted! 3 cars, no payments. What a deal he had going, too bad he crashed.
No kidding...he created all of the headaches in his life!

Last night the news showed some file footage of this guy's wife and child standing on the sidewalk, while the Beverly Hills police impounded their $600,000 Benz. It turns out that car was stolen, too. What a nice guy, he let his wife and small child drive around in a stolen car...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
blt2ride said:
No kidding...he created all of the headaches in his life!

Last night the news showed some file footage of this guy's wife and child standing on the sidewalk, while the Beverly Hills police impounded their $600,000 Benz. It turns out that car was stolen, too. What a nice guy, he let his wife and small child drive around in a stolen car...
It wasn't "stolen" as much as it was unpaid for. :D They call it stolen because to shipped them to the US and quit paying for them once he got here it seems.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
jimmydean said:
It wasn't "stolen" as much as it was unpaid for. :D They call it stolen because to shipped them to the US and quit paying for them once he got here it seems.

That pretty much constitues STOLEN in most people's book.

imageWIS

Chimp
Mar 19, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
N8 said:
That pretty much constitues STOLEN in most people's book.
If you don’t own it / are not paying for it, you’re stealing it. And the only book that matters is the law book, which states that the cars were stolen, illegally brought over to the US, and not licensed to be used on US highways. Unfortunately, thanks to this guy’s complete disregard for the law, an innocent Enzo got hurt in the process.

Jon.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
And another...

CHP officer, friend identified as victims of SoCal Ferrari crash

AGOURA HILLS, Calif. - A California Highway Patrol officer and another man were identified Wednesday after they died in the crash of a Ferrari Testarossa.

CHP Officer Derek Midollo, 39, and his passenger, David Bjorklund, in his 30s, died Tuesday at the scene, CHP Officer Leland Tang said.

"It is a huge, huge loss for us," Tang said.

Midollo, an 11-year veteran of the CHP, was assigned to the West Valley Area office. Bjorklund was his friend visiting from Chicago, Tang said.

The 1993 Ferrari Testarossa was traveling south on a narrow road when Midollo apparently lost control and hit a telephone pole, Tang said.

The mangled silver sports car came to rest on its roof in a corral several yards from the road.

An investigation was continuing and could take several weeks.

"We have to put the vehicle together, then take it apart, and do a vehicle analysis to make sure there were no mechanical defects," Tang said.

Actress Morgan Brittany told KCAL she heard the crash.

"I heard it coming, and I heard the engine rev, a high-speed rev," she said. "I just braced myself. I said, 'Oh no, oh no. I hope someone's not coming the other way.'"

Brittany portrayed Katherine Wentworth on "Dallas" in the 1980s.

Witnesses say the 1993 Testarossa flew off the road, hit a boulder, then flipped over and slammed into a tree.

The CHP says Midolo lost control and it is investigating whether speed was an issue.

Midolo had been a member of special enforcement teams used to enforce speed limits on hillside roads.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
Ciaran said:
Ferrari F430 Spyder....

4.3 liter V8
Formula One Transmission

Rental Rates

$3000.00 per day. :eek:
$18000.00 per week. :eek:

50 miles per day included.
$2.00 per additional mile.

It costs more per day to rent than I make in two weeks!

:eek:
I wonder if they make you sign the contract in blood...

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
justsomeguy said:
1993 Ferrari
Still - that's a $75,000 car used. Not to mention the oppresive costs of maintaining the flat 12 in the Testarossas. Why are there so many rich policemen?:rolleyes:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
rooftest said:
Still - that's a $75,000 car used. Not to mention the oppresive costs of maintaining the flat 12 in the Testarossas. Why are there so many rich policemen?:rolleyes:
Because they put the shake down on us honest hard working drug dealers.

Just kidding... I don't really work hard.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Ciaran said:
Where the heck does a CHP officer get Ferrari? :think:
I was wondering the same thing. Considering the accident occurred in Agoura Hills (one of the most expensive areas in Southern California) I wonder if he lived in the area?

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
blt2ride said:
I was wondering the same thing. Considering the accident occurred in Agoura Hills (one of the most expensive areas in Southern California) I wonder if he lived in the area?
I went to High School in Agoura Hills. Sure there is a ton of money, but there are many, MANY areas in the surrounding hills that are perfectly reasonable on a cop's salary.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
hey, i saw a bmw 645ci flipped over, and burnt to the ground here in a twisty downhill road from a suburb in Lima about a week ago. not as fancy as a ferrrari, but still, they are 110k here.
the driver walked (actually run) away. damn safe car.

here is a pic of the car at the shop.

N8 said:
And another...

CHP officer, friend identified as victims of SoCal Ferrari crash

AGOURA HILLS, Calif. - A California Highway Patrol officer and another man were identified Wednesday after they died in the crash of a Ferrari Testarossa.

CHP Officer Derek Midollo, 39, and his passenger, David Bjorklund, in his 30s, died Tuesday at the scene, CHP Officer Leland Tang said.

"It is a huge, huge loss for us," Tang said.

Midollo, an 11-year veteran of the CHP, was assigned to the West Valley Area office. Bjorklund was his friend visiting from Chicago, Tang said.

The 1993 Ferrari Testarossa was traveling south on a narrow road when Midollo apparently lost control and hit a telephone pole, Tang said.

The mangled silver sports car came to rest on its roof in a corral several yards from the road.

An investigation was continuing and could take several weeks.

"We have to put the vehicle together, then take it apart, and do a vehicle analysis to make sure there were no mechanical defects," Tang said.

Actress Morgan Brittany told KCAL she heard the crash.

"I heard it coming, and I heard the engine rev, a high-speed rev," she said. "I just braced myself. I said, 'Oh no, oh no. I hope someone's not coming the other way.'"

Brittany portrayed Katherine Wentworth on "Dallas" in the 1980s.

Witnesses say the 1993 Testarossa flew off the road, hit a boulder, then flipped over and slammed into a tree.

The CHP says Midolo lost control and it is investigating whether speed was an issue.

Midolo had been a member of special enforcement teams used to enforce speed limits on hillside roads.