OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/9118.0.html

EPO maker to back California Tour
By VeloNews Interactive
This report filed November 2, 2005
Rumors surrounding the rather unusual sponsorship of the upcoming Tour of California, appear to be true.

USA Today and other media are reporting that Tuesday's route announcement of February's Tour of California will also include the revelation of the race's title sponsor: AMGEN, the biotech firm that pioneered the manufacture of recombinant Erythropoietin, or EPO.

One of the most widely abused drugs in endurance sport, EPO has been at the heart of cycling's doping scandals since the early 1990s. The company, which boasts more than $2 billion in annual sales, says that its sponsorship is driven by its awareness of the inappropriate use of its product.

"We believe we have a responsibility to ensure that the medicines we develop are used properly," Amgen scientific director Steve Elliott told USA Today's Sal Ruibal.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Jeremy R said:
This just in: High Times magazine is sponsoring a video game tournament.
And how does this relate? Did I miss the announcement from the video game industry where they tried to get weed banned for people playing video games?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
N8 said:
Do you what Erythropoietin was developed for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythropoietin

Besides AMGEN is the company who makes the test kits to find out who's been using their product in the wrong way.
Um yeah. And the cigarette makers are all ok too because they fund a few programs researching the effects of smoking. They are benevolent angels and I am just a commie pinko hippy who doesn't understand. :rolleyes:

They could make it harder to get EPO if they wanted to, and doing so will not make it any more difficult for the people who really need it. Whatever, it's capitalism, that's a separate issue. I just think it's funny and ironic that in a sport being hurt by doping scandals almost every day, the best sponsor they could find manufactures one of the most notorious doping products. It's hilarious - the cash to sponsor the event comes in part from their dope profits. There is no doubt in my mind that some of those profits are from EPO sold to bike racers, and that some racers in this race will be fueled by Amgen EPO. Dirty team docs and riders will be laughing their asses off at how perfect it is!!

It's a big gamble to address the issue head-on in this way. I think the public is going to have a hard time taking the race seriously. That is unfortunate because I would love to see the race do well and come back every year.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
OGRipper said:
Um yeah. And the cigarette makers are all ok too because they fund a few programs researching the effects of smoking. They are benevolent angels and I am just a commie pinko hippy who doesn't understand. :rolleyes:

They could make it harder to get EPO if they wanted to, and doing so will not make it any more difficult for the people who really need it. Whatever, it's capitalism, that's a separate issue. I just think it's funny and ironic that in a sport being hurt by doping scandals almost every day, the best sponsor they could find manufactures one of the most notorious doping products. It's hilarious - the cash to sponsor the event comes in part from their dope profits. There is no doubt in my mind that some of those profits are from EPO sold to bike racers, and that some racers in this race will be fueled by Amgen EPO. Dirty team docs and riders will be laughing their asses off at how perfect it is!!

It's a big gamble to address the issue head-on in this way. I think the public is going to have a hard time taking the race seriously. That is unfortunate because I would love to see the race do well and come back every year.
Well, this seems like the perfect example of "There is no bad publicity". I think people will take the race seriously, but EPO will be on everyone's mouths, which is the purpose of sponsorship and advertising.

This isn't like the Calif Marijuana Growers Association buying a sponsorship. EPO is a legimate drug which is misused by endurance athletes.

I suspect Amgen will drop out before the race, but this does seem odd to me.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:
Do you what Erythropoietin was developed for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythropoietin

Besides AMGEN is the company who makes the test kits to find out who's been using their product in the wrong way.
I'm having problems with your link so forgive me if it answers your question. EPO was developed for people with low blood count, for whatever reason. Cancer patients going through Chemo and radiation treatment can suffer from low blood cell production.

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
Most SoCal residents should know this already, but AMGEN is the main sponsor of a large road cycling team, comprised mainly of Cat. 3 racers. Anyone on the team has been under suspicion from everyone else since the day that team formed.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Slugman said:
And how does this relate? Did I miss the announcement from the video game industry where they tried to get weed banned for people playing video games?
Umm because EPO is illegal, yet cyclists continue to use it,
and weed is illegal, yet video gamers continue to use it.

I know that was super complicated, so I can draw out a diagram if you need one. :thumb: