Quantcast

Oh! The temptation!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
So I've started checking out the area. I now live in Vancouver.

On our saturday recon mission, I stumbled across this little beauty:

It's a 2006, but brand new. I've yet to receive a paycheque from my new job, but I've just discovered a good contender for ways to spend my "loyalty bonus" from my last job.

What do you think?

2 Gs by the way...

I've already got a Kona Garbanzo, but it does not like going uphill at all. This thing would be the tool for "The Shore" would it not?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I love the MKIII. The DW system pedals very well and even though it looks a little thin, that bike can take some serious heat.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There are some pictures on here somewhere of someone hitting some rather large drops and jumps on his with no complaints.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
It is a small, but there's s med. frame in the shop.

Vanc. is pretty wet so far, so we're headed out for a ski today. Riding next weekend! Maybe on a kickass new bike.

For some reason, the pic of the one you rented isn't showing up, but neither are mine. Maybe I need a new computer too...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Not sure what it weighs. I was struck with how light it felt, I'd guess under 30 lbs. That may or may not be right.

I'm around 5'9", so I think the med would be the way to go.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Iron Horse bikes perform very poorly in the US but, oddly enough, they totally rock in Canada - just make sure you stay north of the boarder because the make is not boutique enough for the fashion forward Seattle crowd.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
even though it looks a little thin, that bike can take some serious heat.
Personally, I disagree. My 53 old father broke a pivot on his doing pure xc. When asked about parts, I was there where non available and there never would be.
The bikes ride decent but I will never buy one again.

Oh yeah, and in BC it's a paycheck.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
You could find a bike that is more shore appropriate that still pedals well, in that 2G price range.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
yep, that bike pedals great
I'm open to suggestions.

My Kona is fine for DH, buy I'm going on the assumption that I'll need to get uphill on occasion. I'm going out next weekend, hopefully, and get a better idea if I really need to get a pedal-able bike. It's just a tough deal to pass up.

I'll check out those parks in Surrey. I'm still not all that mobile since my car still hasn't arrived.

Thanks for all the info so far.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
For uphill & general XC... I find a mid level Trek Fuel to be good times. I've pedaled around with guys on sleds & they don't have much fun. Then its all about the shuttle which can be logistically unpleasant.

Lady Gravity

Chimp
Jul 1, 2004
Mtnbike Mecca
My Kona is fine for DH, buy I'm going on the assumption that I'll need to get uphill on occasion. I'm going out next weekend, hopefully, and get a better idea if I really need to get a pedal-able bike. It's just a tough deal to pass up.
you'll definitely have more fun here if you have a bike that can decently pedal up as well as have fun riding down. seymour and cypress are the only "shuttle" mountains (apart from the valley). there's a lot of really great trails on fromme, but you either have to pedal or push to get to them.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Personally, I disagree. My 53 old father broke a pivot on his doing pure xc. When asked about parts, I was there where non available and there never would be.
The bikes ride decent but I will never buy one again.

Oh yeah, and in BC it's a paycheck.
that makes no sense, I got parts from IH for my '04 (pre MKIII)

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
So I went for it:

Took it for a ride around the easy trails around Mt. Seymour yesterday, but "La Belle" left the memory card in the computer, so no pics of the ride. It was a great day yesterday with tons of sun and not too much snow. Gave me an opportunity to pedal uphill for a change and learn how to use SPDs...ow.

Slick new fork, which I haven't fiddled with yet:

Friggin' pedals that put me on my ass around 5 times on the climbs:

Doesn't look like I got full travel out of my shock

And just to get some shots outside, we went for a ride to the UBC trails. I discovered that hardtails truly climb far, far better than fullys...fo real.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
When someone says a full suspension bike "climbs well", it's in comparison to OTHER suspension bikes. Energy lost is energy lost, even when it's only a little.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
It's my opinion that there are some situations/trails (the good ones :) ) where a good full suspension bike climbs better than a hardtail. Like rocky, technical climbs with lots of ledges. If you're taking a fire road up, or a nice smooth track, by all means hardtail all the way.