Quantcast

Oh yeah 41 in. bar height.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I just got back from the shop, decided to upgrade some parts.
My bars were annoyingly high for my tastes. Before I had a FSA orbit reducer. The cups were really thick it was heavy, it sucked. (especially for such a nice frame). Well I got a set of e-13 cups and a canecreek is2 slapped them puppies in thar and she is low and sweet now. I also decided to pick up some new tires, MinionDHF 3c of course. But to top it all of, a new sunline v1 brown saddle and v2 bars. Oh yeah. What do you guys think is the optimal bar height, I may go direct mount yet. All this and a new Tazer! This season should be fun.:picsstfu:
edit: I threw a flat crown on too for good measure.
edit: Umm maybe not 41 exactly... but way lower anyway.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Only asking because you claimed a number instead of just "low" - did you force the boxxer to topout before you measured? They often sit into their travel a bit neutrally which throws off measurements, so you usually need to pull it up and get it to rest at that height. Making sure the bike is dead straight is also pretty important.

41" just sounds a little too low for your pictured setup, I have a friend that measured his sunday at 41.3" and he's running no headset topcap, and lower bars from what I can see. The sunday also has a slacker head angle which means the bars sit lower than the socom due to that as well.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Awsome bike. How do you like how the Socom's ride? Ive been thinking of getting one of those bikes some time in the future.
Its pretty amazing. It tracks perfect flys with courage and even with burly parts kit its still easily under 40. If it suits your riding style and you have the means, I highly recommend you pick one up.

Udi, you are right... the fork was a bit into the travel when measured, Ill measure it again in the morning. BTW what does the top cap have to do with bar height? Maybe a noob question but...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Udi, you are right... the fork was a bit into the travel when measured, Ill measure it again in the morning. BTW what does the top cap have to do with bar height? Maybe a noob question but...
No worries... the topcap on the headset adds stack height, and therefore bar height. On the E13 cup / IS2 combo, you can run the headset without the top cover (the one with the writing on it) and instead replace it with 2x FSA microspacers (this is for a boxxer crown).

Not sure if there's a difference between the FSA IS2 and CC IS2 by the way, but on the FSA at least it needs 5x microspacers under that headset top cover for that part to clear the reducer cups anyway, so it was as simple as ditching both the cover, and 3 of the 5 microspacers (might be different for yours I'm not sure, just use the minimum number you can get away with to stop the top crown touching the reducers). You can lose a fair few mm of bar height just by doing that. :)

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
No worries... the topcap on the headset adds stack height, and therefore bar height. On the E13 cup / IS2 combo, you can run the headset without the top cover (the one with the writing on it) and instead replace it with 2x FSA microspacers (this is for a boxxer crown).

Not sure if there's a difference between the FSA IS2 and CC IS2 by the way, but on the FSA at least it needs 5x microspacers under that headset top cover for that part to clear the reducer cups anyway, so it was as simple as ditching both the cover, and 3 of the 5 microspacers (might be different for yours I'm not sure, just use the minimum number you can get away with to stop the top crown touching the reducers). You can lose a fair few mm of bar height just by doing that. :)
I see, thanks for the info Udi you rock.:monkeydance: