Quantcast

OH yeah............Much needed help in this area.....

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I quite smoking last July, and have learned a VERY horrible thing

I DON'T KNOW HOW TO BREATH!!!!!!!!

PROPERLY..................

So, after smoking all those years, I forgot how to breath!!!!

help?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
First off Ralph, congratulations on quitting. I hear it is one of the hardest things a people can do.

As far as breathing goes, I've always been told to take deep breaths, in through the nose, out through the mouth. However, I have a damaged nasal passage, so I do 90% of my breathing through my mouth. Just do whatever feels comfortable. When you are busting your ass trying get up a hill, the last thing you want to be thinking about is "Am I breathing properly?". If you are having problems with your lung capacity, just keep riding and you'll get there.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Try some of those Breath Right strips, they work pretty good. Concentrate on slowly and deeply breathing on the climbs. Take 10-15 REALLY deep breaths, in through the nose, and slowly out through the mouth. Do this every few minutes on a climb, pretty soon it'll be second nature.

I quit smoking 4 years ago after 15 years of heavy pack-a-day use. Intervals and sprints really helped too. The horrible pain in my lungs as they were cleaning themselves out really helped to keep me from starting again.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
First off Ralph, congratulations on quitting. I hear it is one of the hardest things a people can do.

As far as breathing goes, I've always been told to take deep breaths, in through the nose, out through the mouth. However, I have a damaged nasal passage, so I do 90% of my breathing through my mouth. Just do whatever feels comfortable. When you are busting your ass trying get up a hill, the last thing you want to be thinking about is "Am I breathing properly?". If you are having problems with your lung capacity, just keep riding and you'll get there.
I don’t think it is physically possible to try to maintain the nose thing for cyclist. (I’ve always been told the same thing) my trainer coach says 2 seconds in 4 seconds out.
now when i'm in a lower heart rate range i can do it but as it increase i switch to full mouth breaths. Also breath from the stomach (diaphragm) and not the shoulders. i.e. your stomach and chest should move out and your shoulders should not move up.