Quantcast

Oh yeah, poor Wanderlei.....

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I forgot that those fights went on saturday night. I still haven't watched them. Apparently Rich Franklin won a decision over one of my favorite fighters. Props to him. I didn't think he'd do it. I heard that he weathered a few storms that Wand was throwin at him. I also heard that Wand looked like crap. Like he was gassed in the first round. Too much weight cut? What are your thoughts?

LeRoy

Monkey
Apr 11, 2002
Wellington - NZ
In my opinion, Wand took the second round. That being said, I tend to side with the Japanese judges and award aggression. Franklin looked solid in every way. I didn't think Wand looked weak or compromised in any way but I am not sure how he plans to get to 185. If he gets to 185 as a fight weight, it seems like he'll need to employ the advice of Franklin and his trainers as they are the masters of the "walk-around-at-205-fight-at-185" mantra. I think both of the headliners on this UFC are past their prime in the MMA game but I love and respect both of their skills/styles and want to see more amazing things from both before they retire.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Yeah, i'm with you there. I would like to see Wand do better, but i think he's also past his prime. Too many good fighters out there these days. i think he should go out and fight one more fight, win or lose, and just coach after that. he's still got a reputable name. Don't want him to become like Ken Shamrock. he should quit while he's still a good fighter and doesn't have a ton of stupid losses added to his record.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I don't know Wanderlei, but isn't he tired of using his face for a meat tenderizer?

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
On a lighter note, I look forward to seeing Diaz destroy Joe Stevenson at the TUF final.
Don't know if that is going to happen. Stevenson is a big step up in competition for Diaz. Even though both of the diaz brothers are complete tools, I love watching them fight. I wish they would bring Nick back so he could make a run on the 170 division.

Wand looked juiced out of his brain at the weigh ins. I think the weight cut made some difference, but Franklin was a poor matchup for his style.

Wand may be on a downward slide, but if you look at who he has lost to recently, it is a list of the biggest names in MMA in the weight classes. Hendo, Chuck, Rampage, Franklin... The punch that Rampage koed him with would have knocked out 99% of the mma fighters today.

He needs to fight some of the mid-level guys at 185 to stack up some wins, and then have a grudge match with Anderson.

As for franklin winding down, his losses are to Machida, Anderson twice, and Hendo. He can beat anyone in the world at 185 except for Anderson, and I think he beat Hendo.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Uh, I just saw that they're bringing back Chris Leben to fight in UFC 102. WTF? This guy is so bad, sloppy, and not entertaining to watch fight, unless he's getting knocked the hell out. Last I heard he was caught juicing after his last loss. I really, really never want to see him again, he's the epitome of the "small-sinep" UFC wannabee.

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
Bringing Leban back...

Even though he is not the most skilled fighter, he always brings it. Dana loves that, and you never know what will happen in his fights.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Watching him fight bisping was sad....he looked sluggish and uninterested as he wobbled around the ring. Bisping was bouncing around and just picking him apart.

I think White just brings him back because of fan interest. He fought a bunch of lesser guys then got dropped when he fought Silva. He needs to stay on the drugs to be remotely interesting.

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
As awesome as it is to see highly skilled guys fight, Anderson, Maia, Machida, GSP, Penn..

There is also something to say about guys who always bang, sure sometimes he looks terrible, but his fights with Terry Martin, Sakara, santiago, and even him getting koed 3 times in a round by Anderson were all entertaining fights to watch. The mindset of taking 2 punches to land one is normally not the brightest move, but is always fun to watch.

There will always be a spot on ppv cards for guys like him, Mcfedries, Houston Alexander, etc, who do nothing but bring it. These guys will never be champions, but usually put on a show.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There will always be a spot on ppv cards for guys like him, Mcfedries, Houston Alexander, etc, who do nothing but bring it. These guys will never be champions, but usually put on a show.
You CAN'T lump that jackass with McFedries and Alexander. The UFC is packed with talent, they don't need punching bags.

Leban did OK at best in the early years, but the UFC has enough guys with talent now. I don't mind seeing undercards with a new guy in his first fight and you have no idea what he brings. That's what undercards are for. But Leban is a waste of time and effort. He MIGHT get lucky and land a shot, but give someone new a chance.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Don't know if that is going to happen. Stevenson is a big step up in competition for Diaz. Even though both of the diaz brothers are complete tools, I love watching them fight. I wish they would bring Nick back so he could make a run on the 170 division.

Wand looked juiced out of his brain at the weigh ins. I think the weight cut made some difference, but Franklin was a poor matchup for his style.

Wand may be on a downward slide, but if you look at who he has lost to recently, it is a list of the biggest names in MMA in the weight classes. Hendo, Chuck, Rampage, Franklin... The punch that Rampage koed him with would have knocked out 99% of the mma fighters today.

He needs to fight some of the mid-level guys at 185 to stack up some wins, and then have a grudge match with Anderson.

As for franklin winding down, his losses are to Machida, Anderson twice, and Hendo. He can beat anyone in the world at 185 except for Anderson, and I think he beat Hendo.
I didn't like the Diaz bros at all about a year ago. They've grown on me. They are big shizz talkers, but they can do more than back it up. Nate is going to triangle Joe. Joe has nothing but strength. He's got no technique. what kind of BJJ black belt gets choked out? He got choked out by Florian. I think Florian might be a purple belt.

I think Wand would do good in 185. You gotta admit that he'd do pretty good against Marquardt. And i think marquardt is the top contender in that class right now.

I thought Hendo beat Franklin? Isn't that why he's a coach on TUF?

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Yeah. UFC likes putting together good match ups for the crowd. Look at Chris Lytle. He hardly ever wins, but his fights are always awesome. Same with Paul Taylor. He never wins, but always gets fight of the night. He's made more from fight of the night bonuses than the money he actually gets for fighting.

Americans like seeing brawls. Technique is still something that americans don't like to see as much as KO's. It's getting better, but it's still got a ways to go.

I myself like to see technical grappling. Carlos Newton vs Sakuraba for example. I like watching Nate Diaz fight too. His BJJ is awesome. Same with Demian Maia.