Quantcast

OH YES, come to papa!

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Yesterday I ordered a Monk CX frame from the fine peeps @ Soul Cycles. I should ship next week. I cant wait. This is the first NEW bike, er...frame I have owned (my evil & sugar were purchased used) AND the first bike I will build from scratch.

Also I got a screamin' deal on the frame & fork (closeout + it is a 2nd with flaws in the finish.)

so yeah, I will be sporting a new cx frame soon. :D

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
TN said:
Yesterday I ordered a Monk CX frame from the fine peeps @ Soul Cycles. I should ship next week. I cant wait. This is the first NEW bike, er...frame I have owned (my evil & sugar were purchased used) AND the first bike I will build from scratch.

Also I got a screamin' deal on the frame & fork (closeout + it is a 2nd with flaws in the finish.)

so yeah, I will be sporting a new cx frame soon. :D
That is so exciting!! I built my first bike this past May. My Shova was the first mtn bike I have had that was from-the-factory new, and additionally that I built up.

Be sure to take pics of the frame, and lots of pics during assembly.

Keep us posted!! :)

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
McGRP01 said:
That's cool. Funny though since their website has said that the Monk has been sold out for at least a month.
I e-mailed them about 6 weeks ago, after they just sold out and they said they were getting some with flawed paint refinished & I would be put on a list, so after more e-mails & some ol' fashioned phone tag, I ordered her yesterday.
She is black with a silver fork....& i am thinking mustache bars.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
TN said:
I e-mailed them about 6 weeks ago, after they just sold out and they said they were getting some with flawed paint refinished & I would be put on a list, so after more e-mails & some ol' fashioned phone tag, I ordered her yesterday.
She is black with a silver fork....& i am thinking mustache bars.
That's awesome!! Congrats!! You should get some Jeff Jones bars for that puppy!! :thumb:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Man i'm so torn, i mean i really like the Fred but i can't stand CX.... Should i be stoked for him regardless of how the feeling cannot be truly genuine?

i just don't know what to do here...

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Skookum said:
Man i'm so torn, i mean i really like the Fred but i can't stand CX.... Should i be stoked for him regardless of how the feeling cannot be truly genuine?

i just don't know what to do here...
is it too british for ya? like fish pudding?

i havent really planned on racing this year, but it will be my commuter/road ride taking bike.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
TN said:
quick question....can I run 130mm spaced wheels on a 135mm spaced frame?
I wouldn't. You will lose about half of the part that goes into the dropouts. Good possibility that it will throw your chainline off which will be hard to correct since you will have to move the cranks inward.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Wumpus said:
I wouldn't. You will lose about half of the part that goes into the dropouts. Good possibility that it will throw your chainline off which will be hard to correct since you will have to move the cranks inward.
No, no, not really.

You can run a 130mm on a 135 rear. First make sure the axle is long enough - if it is, you are set, if not, you can get new axles cheap. Most shimano rear axles are swappable, so if you have an old 135mm hub around, steal the axle from that one.

With that being said - the portion of the axle that rests IN the dropout does very little in terms of securing the wheel(See http://sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html for more info on this) so my guss would be that the 130mm axle will lork just fine with some respacing:

You need to respace the axle with some axle spacers, which are cheap. If you do it symetrically, you need 2.5mm on each side.
But I would add 4mm of spacers on the NDS and 1mm of spacers on the DS. That way you barely alter the chainline. You will need to redish the wheel, of course.

Good luck with that TN, they are nice rides.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
SWEET i've been trying to score a cx frame for a while. but i just cant seem to find a good used one for cheap.
i've put bids on ebay for them and get out bid. there's one now that somebody is going to bay WAY to much for but oh well.
anyhoo have fun on 'er.
t