Quantcast

ohhh..ya...this kind of muscle makes a girl wet all over!

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
:love: :love: It even looks like the 67/68 GT....sigh...looks like i know where my pennies are going ....time to start saving...

Behind the Wheel: 2005 Ford Mustang: The Pony Express Rides Again

December 26, 2004
By PETER PASSELL

SANTA BARBARA, Calif.

THE last time Ford introduced a truly new Mustang, Gloria
Gaynor's "I Will Survive" topped the pop charts, Don Baylor
was the American League's most valuable player and
fundamentalist Muslims were denouncing America - under
President Jimmy Carter - as the Great Satan.

Well, some things never change.

Though the Mustang has
continued to sell well, almost everybody agreed that the
marketing phenomenon that transformed Lee A. Iacocca into a
capitalist hero was long overdue for a bumper-to-bumper
makeover. After all, it had spent 26 years on a limp
chassis derived from the long-forgotten Ford Fairmont, and
had gone a full decade wearing the same basic wardrobe.

What few expected, though, was a new design that looked
terrific, delivered great value and drove like a
state-of-the-art sports coupe - yet could never be mistaken
for anything else.

The 2005 version, which adheres to the pony car tradition
of rear-wheel drive, comes in two flavors: a base model
with a 12-valve iron-block V-6 engine delivering 210
horsepower with 240 pounds-feet of torque, and the GT, with
a 24-valve aluminum block V-8 rated at 300 horsepower and
320 pounds-feet. A convertible will make its debut on Jan.
5 at the Los Angeles auto show, and a high-performance
version with a more powerful engine and an independent rear
suspension, like the SVT Cobra version of the previous
generation Mustang, is expected sometime after 2006.

Both of the current models come with four-wheel disc
brakes, air-conditioning and five-speed manual
transmissions (a five-speed automatic is an option). Both
are built on a simplified version of the platform
architecture Ford uses for the Lincoln LS and the Jaguar
S-Type.

The GT does, however, get bigger wheels (17-inchers instead
of 16's), lower-profile tires (Pirelli P Zero Neros) and
the brakes (with larger front discs) get a standard
antilock function. The GT's other attractions include
electronic traction control, a stiffer suspension, dual
exhausts and a rear spoiler.

The base Mustang starts at just $19,410, including the
delivery charge, making it one of the most stylish $20,000
investments available. Add a 500-watt stereo with a CD
changer, and a six-way power driver's seat, and the car
barely tops $20,000. The GT, starting at $24,995, is also
priced to sell. Adding leather, seat-mounted side air bags
and that monster sound system results in a nicely equipped
coupe that is still less than $27,000. A 1,000-watt audio
system is $1,295.

You can find a number of well-built cars with plenty of
zing in this price range - think of the Acura RSX, the
Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS, the Subaru Impreza WRX and the
Volkswagen GTI for starters. But those do not offer a V-8
option.

Moreover, no imported pocket rocket has a gorgeous body
like this. The new Mustang has exceptionally clean lines
that echo the the original model yet look quite modern, in
much the way Volkswagen's playful New Beetle captured the
essence of the old one.

The new Mustang is substantially longer than the previous
model and, for the first time, offers truly roomy front
seats. (The rear remains barely adequate for grown-ups.)
Few other carmakers, it is safe to say, would dare to
create an interior with so much chrome or so many
contrasting colors and surface textures.

With the My Color option, it is even possible to vary the
color of the lighting on the instrument cluster; Ford brags
that 125 shades are possible. But I am betting the sheer
garishness of the concept will work well on two levels. The
young will take the 1960's exuberance at face value, while
the merely young at heart will enjoy the interior as a trip
down memory lane, at least until the novelty wears off.

All the attention to style would be wasted if Ford had
scrimped on performance. Happily, this is not the case:
both models are light-years better than their predecessors.

The V-6 with the five-speed automatic, which Ford expects
to capture half or more of Mustang sales, is an efficient
modern vehicle that is peppy, smooth and relatively quiet.
The power is adequate and the handling is crisp, an
unexpected treat given the visual cues that suggest one is
behind the wheel of a big, old-fashioned American car.

There's no denying, though, that the model of choice for
serious drivers is the 300-horsepower GT with the
five-speed manual. I spent 150 miles behind the wheel of a
GT in the mountains of Southern California one sunny
afternoon and had to be coaxed from the driver's seat with
promises of espresso and white-chocolate macadamia nut
cookies.

As expected, the GT is fast: zero to 60 miles an hour in
5.3 seconds, according to Road & Track magazine, and it has
plenty of torque at low engine speeds. And the throaty
rumble of the dual exhausts make it seem even faster.

But the more dramatic improvement over the old model is in
the handling: in spite of Ford's decision to save some
money by sticking with a solid rear axle (rather than using
an independent suspension) the car manages irregular
pavement and hard cornering like an expensive sports sedan.

Once, the Mustang captured the sense of fun and freedom
that represented the best of American cars. Once again,
Mustang - now over 40 and having outlived its original
competitors - demonstrates Ford's determination to keep
that spirit alive.

INSIDE TRACK: A blast, even on a budget.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/26/automobiles/26AUTO.html?ex=1105332367&ei=1&en=
5c9ba44446a91b9e

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
actually they are pretty good lookin cars. i like the way they went back ot the old school front clip.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've seen a bunch of them driving around. From the side or front it looks great. From the back it looks like a crap. Takes the early 80's mustang theme of having bumpers that expose rusting gas tanks and exhaust pipes, unless the GT version still has plastic ground effects designed by a 12 year old.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Westy said:
I've seen a bunch of them driving around. From the side or front it looks great. From the back it looks like a crap. Takes the early 80's mustang theme of having bumpers that expose rusting gas tanks and exhaust pipes, unless the GT version still has plastic ground effects designed by a 12 year old.

DEARBORN, Mich., Dec. 22, 2004 -- Like a massive automotive supernova, the 2005 Mustang is lighting up Ford dealerships across North America.

Checkbooks in hand, customers are often waiting outside dealerships before the new Mustangs are even unloaded from their carriers. Others are snapping them up as soon as the vehicles hit the showroom floor.

Some are traveling hundreds of miles to buy them, and, on one occasion, customers have trailed vehicle carriers loaded with Mustangs to a local dealership. According to a Kentucky dealership, police have even pulled new Mustang models over to take a closer look at them.

"There's no question the Mustang is a smash hit. It's doing extremely well in the marketplace," said Ford Division President Steve Lyons. "We're just trying to keep up with demand."

George Pipas, Ford Motor Company sales analysis manager, said he has never seen anything like it.

"In my 28 years at Ford, I have never seen a product go in and out of the showroom as quickly as Mustang," said Pipas.

Mustang sales were up 12 percent in November from a year earlier. But even more importantly, sales to retail customers were up by 50 percent, according to Mustang Launch Marketing Manager Killol Bhuta.

"We're seeing sales levels exceeding our own objectives," said Bhuta.

The 2005 Mustangs that actually make it to the showroom floor have drawn throngs of onlookers -- some content just to crowd around and admire it -- frequently spurring warm recollections about the Mustangs they have owned or driven.

In recent years, warm receptions have greeted a number of retro-styled vehicles built by other manufacturers, such as the Volkswagen Beetle in 1999 and the Chrysler PT Cruiser in 2000. But the Mustang splash seems bigger than anything else in memory, according to Ford dealer John Nakamura at Albany (Calif.) Ford.

"I have never, ever seen so much emotion from the public as with the Mustang," said Nakamura.

Tim McKee, sales manager at Friendly Ford, in Springfield, Mo., agrees.

"I have been in the car business for many, many years and I have never seen anything like the traffic this new Mustang has driven to our dealership," said McKee. "People stop by and just stand and look at the car. I have kept the showroom open later than normal every night since its arrival just to satisfy customers' thirst for this new car."

While some people aren't exactly shopping, they are content just to look, treating the 2005 Mustang as though it were on exhibit. McKee said that a fire truck recently stopped outside Friendly Ford and five firemen jumped out to spend about 15 minutes looking the Mustang over.

Auto writers seem to like the car, too. In its January, 2005 issue, Car and Driver named the Mustang a 10Best car by writing: "The first truly new Mustang in 26 years is on the street and it goes good, looks bitchin', and the GT version is an unbeatable performance buy: 300 horsepower for 25,000 bucks?The key to its eye appeal is obvious ? an inspired revival of the late '60s Mustangs, arguably some of the best of the breed. Stir in bargain pricing, plus the absence of direct competition, and you have a formula that adds up to can't lose."

Columnist David Thomas from Autoblog Garage wrote: "I know I?ve only been driving it a day and most of that has been stop and go city traffic. But I?ve never been in a Mustang that is so stellar. On a personal note I?m not a Ford or GM guy, or even a Mopar freak. I?ve never understood the rivalry. I just like to drive good cars. Deliver me a Kia that rocks and I?ll write about it. I say all this because I?m in love with the new Ford Mustang."

During his test drive, auto writer Robert Bowden wrote in an online review that the '05 Mustang "turns so many heads, you will wish you were a chiropractor."

Aside from craning a few necks, the vehicle is opening wallets too. At Steve Coury Ford in Cottonwood, Ariz., a woman in a 2000 Mustang happened to see a 2005 model sitting on a carrier as she was driving by. She pulled into the dealership and bought it on the spot. "My first Mustang sold in five minutes," said sales representative Steve Coury.

At Wickstrom Ford in Barrington, Illinois, the staff sold three Mustangs off a carrier trailer in one day and wrote up five more orders as they were delivering those same three cars to customers. In Manteo, N.C., a red Mustang GT hit the Sawyer Motor Co.'s showroom on a Thursday afternoon and was gone by Saturday.

"Our dealers are telling us that customer reaction to the new Mustang has been nothing short of spectacular," said Brant Noltie, director, Field Operations, Ford Motor Company of Canada, Limited. "Mustang and our other 'Next Generation of Ford' all-new vehicles -- Five Hundred, Freestyle, Escape Hybrid and Super Duty -- are creating quite a buzz in the marketplace."

In Dearborn, Mich., Bob Wheat, general manager at Village Ford, had to reserve a new Mustang from the dealership's for-sale stock so that the showroom would have one for customers to see.

"The reaction to this car is the best we have seen in 20 years," Wheat said. "Anytime you have sold out your inventory for the next two months, I consider that a hit."

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
True, but are they mustangs? I'll take a piece of crap '67 or '68 Ford Mustang Shelby GT...:D

Besides, the fun of owning a classic car is the need to talk to it while it works it's way up a hill....this new one (other than the rear end view, which won't be much improved by the spoiler on the GT), sure has the look of my faves...

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I Are Baboon said:
My grandfather had a Ford. My mom had a Ford. My brother had a Ford. My wife HAS a Ford. All pieces of crap.

So you are saying your family likes crap? Hmmm... Interesting. Or maybe you are generalizing just a little?

btw... I work for Ford :blah:

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
So you are saying your family likes crap? Hmmm... Interesting. Or maybe you are generalizing just a little?

btw... I work for Ford :blah:
All four of them had Fords and they all sucked. How is that generalizing? Generalizing would be something like "All Fords suck." That said, the wife may buy another Explorer because she gets the hookup and the vehicle serves our purpose.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I Are Baboon said:
All four of them had Fords and they all sucked. How is that generalizing? Generalizing would be something like "All Fords suck." That said, the wife may buy another Explorer because she gets the hookup and the vehicle serves our purpose.
Ford do suck though.... so in this case, generalizing is appliciable.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
As the thread title implies, I haven't seen a dude driving a mustang since the early nineties, they are a total chick car. Sure they are looking better now than they did in the early 80's but I wouldn't be caught dead driving one.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Kornphlake said:
As the thread title implies, I haven't seen a dude driving a mustang since the early nineties, they are a total chick car. Sure they are looking better now than they did in the early 80's but I wouldn't be caught dead driving one.

I am assuming you are guessing because the industry info I have seen doesn't support that. The base is about even the last time I saw any info and the GT is male dominated. As far as sucking, eh I havent been a fan until the 05, except for the 03 Cobra that was basically a bolt-on away from being an 11 second car out of the box.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Btw - those of you insisting Ford "sucks"...what exactly is your experience that leads you to form this opinion? Just curious, but I've found that most people form these opinions either due to a) one bad car experience, that oft as not is their own fault for lack of proper maintenance, or b) other people said so.

Cars are so heavily image driven. If your budies are Chevy Truck drivers, then you must be too, and Ford is evil if you're a Chevy man...right? lol...a Mustang - for those of you who are Ford Truck drivers, or Ford Truck haters, is not a truck. :) But a sweet butterfly on wheels :D

Unfortunately, I personally think the Stang went through an identity crisis from the mid-70s through 2004. Glad to see she's got her mojo back. ;)

KleinMp99

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
United States
I was out cruisin around in the team van one night, and we came upon a couple mustangs that they were testing. Basically there was nobody else on the roads except my van and a couple or maybe more 2005 mustangs. I started to follow them and it was really weird because all of a sudden one would pop up and scare the **** out of me. One time I was stopped at a light, and one comes rumbling down the road and turns left right in front of me. :p
I wanted to get one to stop to see if they would let me drive one but I never did. We saw them stop once and switch drivers or something. I think they were plotting to destroy the city!!!!!!!!!

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Jr_Bullit said:
Btw - those of you insisting Ford "sucks"...what exactly is your experience that leads you to form this opinion? Just curious, but I've found that most people form these opinions either due to a) one bad car experience, that oft as not is their own fault for lack of proper maintenance, or b) other people said so.

Cars are so heavily image driven. If your budies are Chevy Truck drivers, then you must be too, and Ford is evil if you're a Chevy man...right? lol...a Mustang - for those of you who are Ford Truck drivers, or Ford Truck haters, is not a truck. :) But a sweet butterfly on wheels :D

Unfortunately, I personally think the Stang went through an identity crisis from the mid-70s through 2004. Glad to see she's got her mojo back. ;)
I love fords trucks, I hate their cars though. Their cars are cramped if you're 6' up and have long legs if you have to sit in the rear seats even if they are adjusted all the way up. The one my parents had had so many electrical issues came down to the fact that it died without warning on a drive down to Florida culprit was electrical, got the part replaced and on the way back up it died again, same part. Then there is the squishy as a rotten apple feel to the gas and brake pedals. I like crisp feeling pedals thank you very much.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Opeth said:
I love fords trucks, I hate their cars though. Their cars are cramped if you're 6' up and have long legs if you have to sit in the rear seats even if they are adjusted all the way up. The one my parents had had so many electrical issues came down to the fact that it died without warning on a drive down to Florida culprit was electrical, got the part replaced and on the way back up it died again, same part. Then there is the squishy as a rotten apple feel to the gas and brake pedals. I like crisp feeling pedals thank you very much.
What model? Car? Year? How long had your parents had it? Previous owners?

My thought in response to your post is this: My first car was a Toyota Camry. Nice little car, good history of reliability. I paid $1500 for an '84, replaced the clutch, and had a good little car that lasted a few years. Squishy pedals? Ohhhh ya...especially as I was learning to drive stick at the time.

You'll have to forgive my romantic illusions of a Shelby GT 500 in good running condition, properly maintained by her owners, and driven with a steady hand throughout her life. :D I'm well aware that most car owners drive their cars into the ground (myself included, which is why, with my limited mechanical abilities I do not currently own an older Ford Mustang, though I have stopped many times at used car dealerships to consider it).

jeepmauler

Monkey
Mar 9, 2004
Lynnwood
J.B. and the statement "wet all over" made me 'bout brake the mouse....good lord girl!!
I love the new mustangs.
My last comp rig had the 5.0 HO outa a '90 mustang GT.That thing ripped!!

bmxr

Monkey
Jan 29, 2004
Marietta, GA
I am pretty damn tempted to get a new GT... The only problem is that the 03/04 Mach 1 is also very tempting at sub$20k prices. Then again another Fox Coupe would be pretty bad-azz with that kind of budget...

I have owned several Fords, and my company keeps dozens of Ford trucks on the road. I have had very good experiences with Ford products. My Jetta, Odyssey, and Cherokee have all made numerous visits to the dealer for warranty work; my Ranger has never been and my '91 Mustang went once in 12 years. Shall I insert a dumb generalization of my own now?

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
It looks SAD:(

Funny they say people are lining up to buy them, the f.o.r.d. dealers here have them sitting on the lot because people are not buying them. The performance is just not there. The GTO KILLS it across the board in street numbers, comfort, and build quality just not in looks

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
They are cool looking but ford even states its a chick car. When they introduced the 2005 prototype i saw a press release saying we revolutionized womens cars.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Well...I have to say that unfortunately I agree...cuz...uhm...if my darlin was drivin this car, I'd do anything to have a chance at the keys and driving it and feel it purr...

But, since I already know he appreciates cars that state their muscle in much more subtle ways...:D I think she'd be mine all mine!!! :devil: :love:

Oh baby - I want one midnight blue, with a silver or red undercoat, and cherry red leather interior.....

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
there's a 92 5.0 near campus that is ****in' beeeeeaauuuuutiful. fresh paint, sweet ass rims, perfect black leather interior. god, that car gives me a stiffee. i wet myself whenever i see 93 Cobras.

chick car or not, i'd take a GT anyday. i'd give a nut for a Cobra. oh, then you got the Roush cars.

- this thread, plus " happy f'n humpday, now bend over and grab some rail" had a lot of potential to work together. biggins dropped the ball, though.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
I am assuming you are guessing because the industry info I have seen doesn't support that. The base is about even the last time I saw any info and the GT is male dominated. As far as sucking, eh I havent been a fan until the 05, except for the 03 Cobra that was basically a bolt-on away from being an 11 second car out of the box.
I'm not sure about nationally or world wide but I know in San Diego the number of female mustang owners far surpasses the number of male owners. What's even more dissapointing is that you see an eye catching car like that with a license plate reading something like 2HOT4U and expect to find some hot little college chick in the drivers seat, but when you pull up next to her it's some less than attractive 30 something woman sucking on a cigarette. :dead:

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
MtnBikerChk said:
we know that ;) and we love you for it! :cool:
Stop TEASING ME!

Hawkeye said:
It looks SAD:(

Funny they say people are lining up to buy them, the f.o.r.d. dealers here have them sitting on the lot because people are not buying them.
Well maybe you need to drive by one day and then drive by another and see that they are actually different cars sitting there. When you move a 100 or so a month they may look similar to the untrained eye :eviltongu

They are selling very well.

BigHit-Maniac

Monkey
Jul 5, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
Kornphlake said:
I'm not sure about nationally or world wide but I know in San Diego the number of female mustang owners far surpasses the number of male owners. What's even more dissapointing is that you see an eye catching car like that with a license plate reading something like 2HOT4U and expect to find some hot little college chick in the drivers seat, but when you pull up next to her it's some less than attractive 30 something woman sucking on a cigarette. :dead:

Those types are all over Kansas City. What's worse, is 1/2 of em have Schmullet's here...... :mumble:

Ack.

Ford should no longer allow RWD cars to be sold to women. Save the Escort ZX2's for the women, and the Mustang GT's for the guys.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Kornphlake said:
I'm not sure about nationally or world wide but I know in San Diego the number of female mustang owners far surpasses the number of male owners.
Are you in the industry? Do you see sales figures? Or are you just guesstimating?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Are you in the industry? Do you see sales figures? Or are you just guesstimating?
You're right I'm just guessing, maybe all the guys buy them and keep them in a garage only to be driven on weekends and the ladys are the fashion concious ones who insist on driving them during the week. Still there was that commercial with the chick from The Blue Lagoon who was definately trying to sell more mustangs to women than to men. Maybe that was just an attempt to push into the women's market since mustangs have obviously been sold primarily to men over the last 10 years or so and are now being bought used by thirty something women. I guess sales figures must not reflect sales of used cars.

Sorry if I called your dream car a girly mobile, but you still can't convince me that some sales figures mean that, in my area, equal numbers of men and women purchase mustangs. If that really is the case it must be men buying them for their wives to drive. I just don't see your statistics being too close when I'm on the highway.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i saw a commercial last night about a boy coming home from the Army, to see his dad pull up in a nice, restored Fastback (i think it was a Fastback). they had a touching moment, then the dad opens the garage door, and there is a new, red GT. the father and son have another touching moment, and the father tosses the keys to the son.

i almost cried.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Kornphlake said:
Still there was that commercial with the chick from The Blue Lagoon who was definately trying to sell more mustangs to women than to men. Maybe that was just an attempt to push into the women's market since mustangs have obviously been sold primarily to men over the last 10 years or so
Its actually 40 years, but yes you are probably correct in the above statement.

the Inbred said:
i saw a commercial last night about a boy coming home from the Army, to see his dad pull up in a nice, restored Fastback (i think it was a Fastback). they had a touching moment, then the dad opens the garage door, and there is a new, red GT. the father and son have another touching moment, and the father tosses the keys to the son.

i almost cried.
It is a little cheeasy, but you have to admit it is a good commercial!

However I still like the H2 SoapBox racer commercial better.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
BigHit-Maniac said:
Ford should no longer allow RWD cars to be sold to women. Save the Escort ZX2's for the women, and the Mustang GT's for the guys.

:eviltongu

and hence further the suspicion among women that men are just selfish ;) :cool:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Opeth said:
Found On Road Dead

Only Ford I'd get would be either one of the new F-150's or a 1998.5 F250 with the Off Road Package.
F*cked Over Rebuilt Daihatsu

:rolleyes:

My old '88 FOrd Ranger was a champ. I like it more than my Dodge. My Dodge feels like you have to baby it...(I bought it new) BUt I had some of my best adventures in my little red truck.

:heart:
88 Ford Ranger Xtra cab 2.9L V6 5sp 2wd I miss her so.