Ohio's WIN BIKE

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Ohio's electric supermoto release party

He did not go cheap on the parts, either:

The location was pretty smoot-dooty:

Inside was pure Italian elegance, a mix of tech and motorhead.

I've been waiting 3 weeks to create this thread, although the original title was Ohio's FAIL BIKE. But this is a total win for Ohio. Congrats!

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Nice! Did you get the battery life higher than when we last talked? I'm guessing the super-x bike is a no go currently?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Congrats, Ohio. I didn't get the photos until this morning so the news article didn't get posted until I got off work today... but it's awesome news.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
With no clutch needed does it have bar mounted rear brake lever like a bicycle?
That was the main thing that was strange for me on the Empulse, nothing to do with the left side of my body (no clutch, no shift lever). I would think a bar mounted rear would be in order.

Congrats, Ohio!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
With a few accelerometers, angular rate sensor and some software hacking that thing could be turned into a robotic wheelie machine.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Looks a little more burley than the Zero.

The whole reason I got into dirt jumping was my mx bike was to loud for the back yard. With electric I could have a full on sx track and nobody would know the difference, oh I can see the step up to step offs now. . .

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Thanks, all, especially Sanjuro for putting this up and for coming by the launch to support us. We're exhausted, but really excited to finally share what we've been up to.

To answer some questions -
- The motocross bike is still planned, though it will ship in dual sport (street legal) trim to be eligible for the current government incentives for electric vehicles. We still very much have our sites on running this thing in Lites class races...
- Springer version is a great idea. Let's put a pin in that one.
- This bike has so many shims, you have no idea. But it could always use moar.
- Default is a left handed rear brake, but foot brake is an available option for curmudgeons. I don't know why anyone would choose the foot brake, though, because the combination of freeing up your feet and having SO much more sensitivity to the rear wheel is spectacular.
- Aiming for production in time for 2012 riding season, so test rides should be when the snow is melting next year.
- It already does wheelies and burnouts quite nicely, and we still have considerable development to do to get it to its full potential.
- The chassis is made to handle pro supercross. It will definitely be up for a backyard track. We're pretty excited to revive those, as well as ninja supermoto runs through SF in the middle of the night. San Francisco is kind of nothing but a series of step-ups, table tops, and step downs...
- We're not announcing pricing yet, but I can tell you it is not cheap. No way around the fact that batteries cost ****loads right now. If you're still upset about how much more 4-strokes cost than 2-strokes, you will be downright offended. That said, if you've ever bought a DH MTB, it'll feel about right.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
any videos of this available?

damn the sad thing is will be nearly impossible to get this streetlegal here.
i sooo want one because i always hated the noise of regular MX bikes...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Thanks, all, especially Sanjuro for putting this up and for coming by the launch to support us. We're exhausted, but really excited to finally share what we've been up to.
It's okay, Marc. You can admit it. The most exciting part of this entire project was your brief, shining glory where you appeared on the front page of www.ridemonkey.com.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

To answer some questions -
- The motocross bike is still planned, though it will ship in dual sport (street legal) trim to be eligible for the current government incentives for electric vehicles. We still very much have our sites on running this thing in Lites class races...
- Springer version is a great idea. Let's put a pin in that one.
- This bike has so many shims, you have no idea. But it could always use moar.
- Default is a left handed rear brake, but foot brake is an available option for curmudgeons. I don't know why anyone would choose the foot brake, though, because the combination of freeing up your feet and having SO much more sensitivity to the rear wheel is spectacular.
- Aiming for production in time for 2012 riding season, so test rides should be when the snow is melting next year.
- It already does wheelies and burnouts quite nicely, and we still have considerable development to do to get it to its full potential.
- The chassis is made to handle pro supercross. It will definitely be up for a backyard track. We're pretty excited to revive those, as well as ninja supermoto runs through SF in the middle of the night. San Francisco is kind of nothing but a series of step-ups, table tops, and step downs...
- We're not announcing pricing yet, but I can tell you it is not cheap. No way around the fact that batteries cost ****loads right now. If you're still upset about how much more 4-strokes cost than 2-strokes, you will be downright offended. That said, if you've ever bought a DH MTB, it'll feel about right.
Negative note: ran out of beer by 8pm. I am not having a glass of chardonnay.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Will regular working stiffs be able to afford it?

Or is it one of those, "if you have to ask..." things.

Edit: oops reading fail, don't answer that

Last edited:

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007

You don't like 2 stroke goodness?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Look forward to the pricing. An EV supermoto would go well with my West Hills commute in stealth mode.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
It's okay, Marc. You can admit it. The most exciting part of this entire project was your brief, shining glory where you appeared on the front page of www.ridemonkey.com.
Not gonna lie, I was super excited to share this with you guys. I've been on this site for about a decade at this point, and dammit if I don't love you ****ers to death.

Nice shop, yours? Makino A-series, Mmmmmm.
Yup, that's our shop and soon to be our production facility. I'm the wrong guy to nerd out on equipment and answer all your questions, but the frames are being done on this badass LeBlond horizontal milling station.

Negative note: ran out of beer by 8pm. I am not having a glass of chardonnay.
Sack up, pvssy. You'll drink chardonnay and like it.

I could have sworn we did an emergency beer run. I know I gave someone my AmEx and closed the event out with a case of leftover beers... Maybe you pissed off Ben, the bartender, and he was holding out on you?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA

multi-quote fail by me.

We'll have some videos up eventually, not sure exactly when though. I don't really want to post riding vids until we're gapping the crest of Gough St in SF on the thing. Parking lot wheelies and shop floor burnouts don't shine on the web the way they do in person.

Getting it street legal shouldn't be an issue. We'll ship every model as street legal in the US with full lighting and switchgear, and are doing our best to design it as CE compliant from the start. Part of our motivation was to figure out a way to get race bike performance (e.g. CRF250R) on the street.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
From a rider perspective, a quiet, cooler running bike that kicks out zero exhaust is perfect for both the city rider, who has neighbors to consider, and in the woods, where the less obnoxious, the better.

When I get my turn on a BRD, I probably won't hit much dirt, but I will be pushing hard around San Fran.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yup, that's our shop and soon to be our production facility. I'm the wrong guy to nerd out on equipment and answer all your questions, but the frames are being done on this badass LeBlond horizontal milling station.
I worked for Leblond Makino for a few years. I can assure you that machine was built with an absurd level of precision. Depending on the year and model that may have a tool changer that is one of the most giggle inducing bits of machinery I have ever seen.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I worked for Leblond Makino for a few years. I can assure you that machine was built with an absurd level of precision. Depending on the year and model that may have a tool changer that is one of the most giggle inducing bits of machinery I have ever seen.
I'm on the verge of revealing ignorance, but yes, it's got a rotating tool changer with 2 spots. The plan is to upgrade it to a 6 unit carousel for production. The two frame components take about 30 and 45 minutes respectively (each can be fully machined in a single fixturing), and swapping fixtures is about 5 minutes. It's ****ing awesome.

can it run on smug?
We use what's available, and that **** is cheap and plentiful in SF.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
a tool changer that is one of the most giggle inducing bits of machinery I have ever seen.
I ran a pair of A55's for a few year stint in aerospace. Those things straight up haul ass even by todays standards. Maybe it's just deceiving because you are way to close to the tool changer with the door open. That, and if it let go of a tool it was going thru your head.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I wish I knew what you CNC people are oohing and ahhing about. Youtube link please :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I ran a pair of A55's for a few year stint in aerospace. Those things straight up haul ass even by todays standards. Maybe it's just deceiving because you are way to close to the tool changer with the door open. That, and if it let go of a tool it was going thru your head.
I once tuned one of them bad-boys up and got it changing tools in .15 seconds. It was frightening. Any faster and it would pitch the tool at the sliding door window faster than a Nolan Ryan fastball.