Quantcast

Ohlins boxxer drop in cartridge

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
wonder if they will release that inverted fork the Wallner's were testing, or just drop it like Fox did

Wetbed0

Chimp
Dec 17, 2013
Colorado
But look at it like the charger damper being put in older boxxers. Now you could have a $1000 fork, used wc and ohlins damper, out performing a $1500+ fork. Sounds nice.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I suppose that's true if it ends up being about the same money as the charger damper (which again, is an out - f'ing - standing damper imo), but I'd hazard to guess it will be closer to avy prices - Avy damper for 888 is like $900. And it better be world's better than the charger, with 1/3 valves (dampers with only mid valves are so 2013 and essentially unrideable) and all sorts of sweet WC worthy technology.

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
super cool, but I don't see a manufacturer like Ohlins doing drop-in cartridges long-term.

They will be able to absolutely rape and pillage in the fork and shock category with the history and reputation they have in the motorsports markets. Their credibility will command an extra $500+ over the bike-specific brands, and for OEMs, an Ohlins product is a reason to charge an extra $2K at least on a complete bike.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
super cool, but I don't see a manufacturer like Ohlins doing drop-in cartridges long-term.

They will be able to absolutely rape and pillage in the fork and shock category with the history and reputation they have in the motorsports markets. Their credibility will command an extra $500+ over the bike-specific brands, and for OEMs, an Ohlins product is a reason to charge an extra $2K at least on a complete bike.
Do you really think so? I mean, even in 2014 people still ride boxxers, when things like devo and avy carts and roxx0rz my foxx0rz exist. I don't think the halo-fork market is really that open...

Will it be a selling point on companies that sell complete bikes with them? Of course...but I don't think they're going to swoop in an demolish the market share of fox or RS.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Do you really think so? I mean, even in 2014 people still ride boxxers, when things like devo and avy carts and roxx0rz my foxx0rz exist. I don't think the halo-fork market is really that open...

Will it be a selling point on companies that sell complete bikes with them? Of course...but I don't think they're going to swoop in an demolish the market share of fox or RS.
^^
That. With the new Boxxer (or the $379 Charger upgrade kit), Dorado, 380/888, 40 with the new airpsring, you've got some current great options for the vast, vast majority of consumers. I think they will always be a (small) market for really high end suspension components, but even a CCDB coil is only ~$80 more than a RC4.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Well as long as I can be just a little patriotic and run some gear beyond POC protection that is truly Swedish and something to be proud of running = STFU and take my money.

In all seriousness I doubt they will make more than a very small dent into the RS and FOX oem market and not so much more in the aftermarket either. Especially since they have never been to big on sponsorship which means most current brands will continue to spec their bikes with mostly identical stuff as their pro team run.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Good call on the support/sponsorship point. I'd be stoked if EUHlins offers mtb support out of their US offices, though.

I'm curious to see if they can compete with MTB brands in stiffness to weight ratio on the fork. I mean, I'm sure they *can* but whether they choose to spend that money is another question.

Is any moto suspension made in Taiwan yet? Pretty sure it's all Japan or Europe for the mid-to-high end.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
I suppose that's true if it ends up being about the same money as the charger damper (which again, is an out - f'ing - standing damper imo),
there is no way i foresee that happening. this is ohlins we are talking about here.

i cant figure out the damn new multi quote (didnt work for me). grrrr

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Oh dear then it is settled, if they become available it will be in my boxxer no question. Think I'll even get some custom stickers "made in sweden" never had that sentence on any piece of kit worthy of mention. Weird that we do though, we arent really much of a production country any more but I guess that explains the price tags on TTX's

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I just read that Ohlins comes stock on some higher end Honda street bikes, who had historically been Showa-exclusive for decades, I believe.

It seems like Ohlins is growing, so maybe they will go into the MTB market wholeheartedly, which I think would be s!ck bro.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
My utterly completely useless statement remotely regarding Ohlins is that I was on the lift with Luca Shaw and Marcelo Guitierrez (name droppin bomber) the other week at Beech and I just assumed he'd got to ride the Ohlins rear, but he hasn't ever. It's ironic because his dad works at Ohlins in Hendersonville. We did chuckle and gloss over in amuzement, we did.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
eh, you can find a used 40 for $800 or less with the chassis in good condition then drop in this damper and come in around what a new model costs.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Seems like they also will release a upside down fork, word is the early photos on Wallner's bike was small modded mx fork but they now have mtb specific proto.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
eh, you can find a used 40 for $800 or less with the chassis in good condition then drop in this damper and come in around what a new model costs.
provided, said person is an idiot who would buy a new 40 for 1700-1800.

i really liked my 40 when i had the big bike. i think i paid 11-1200 new for a 2013 model. kash, ti spring, and all!

PJivan

Monkey
Aug 27, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
what's a cartucchia andreania and what does that have to do with Ohlins Sweden?
Cartuccia means cartridge and Andreani is the last name of the Italian distributor owner

http://www.andreanigroup.com/en-us

it's not like "a distributor" is "The distributor" people who have very close relationship with Ohlins and know what they are doing... they work most on moto sector and they are offering Ohlins shock for any mtb with personalised tuning
Source... I'm Italian

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
So, Andreani is to Ohlins sorta like Cane Creek is to Ohlins? Bah... more interested in plain old Ohlins getting into our biz whole hog.

From your link:
Oltre enduro and the development of forks and mono already on the market and the implementation of performance improvement kit , as is also the case for the sector motorcycles and cars Andreani Group is also involved in the distribution of new and advanced mono Öhlins with Exclusive TTX pending revolutionary fork , which should make its appearance soon.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
provided, said person is an idiot who would buy a new 40 for 1700-1800.

i really liked my 40 when i had the big bike. i think i paid 11-1200 new for a 2013 model. kash, ti spring, and all!
$800 is being conservative. a quick search on pinkbike classifieds turned a 2012 up for $600. I'm sure an older one with a blown cart would go for less.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
For $900 I'd just design and machine my own cartridge, probably even give myself some tool free adjusters if I'm lucky.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
For $900 I'd just design and machine my own cartridge, probably even give myself some tool free adjusters if I'm lucky.
If you are Swedish, anodize it gold and work together with Specialized it will be amazing! :twitch:
No, seriously, do it! :thumb: