Quantcast

Ohlins ttx22m stroke variations (Updated & Solved)

madpharma

Chimp
Oct 16, 2018
Hello!

A friend of mine bought a 2nd hand ohlins ttx2m for his v10. In theory the shock is 222 x 70 mm, and we personally know the original buyer and that he had it in a mondraker summun which again uses a 222 x 70mm shock.

The problem is that when measuring the stroke with a caliper its measures 65mm! And we already had this issue with another ohlins for a spez demo that its stroke measured 74mm instead of the labeled 76mm.

According to our aproximations it would be losing like 15mm of travel at the wheel, but if someone know how to calculate this exactly and wants to share it, I would be thankful

Anyone experienced this too? And know whats the cause? 2mm I would find barely acceptable, but 5mm I think is too much.

thanks in advance

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Is it possible there is an internal bottom out bumper that is not fully compressed? I could imagine 5mm of stroke could be taken up by a hard rubber donut inside the shock. Try leaning on it hard with no air in the can? or disassemble the can and check.

madpharma

Chimp
Oct 16, 2018
Is it possible there is an internal bottom out bumper that is not fully compressed? I could imagine 5mm of stroke could be taken up by a hard rubber donut inside the shock. Try leaning on it hard with no air in the can? or disassemble the can and check.
Its a coil shock, we tried pulling away from each eye of the shock with great force but it doesnt extend more, so dont know what could be the problem :/

Thanks

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
You bought an oem shock in 8.75x2.5" sizing, that's all. Probably came from some specialized bike or other pos.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
No bumper preventing bottom-out in there?
Its a coil shock, we tried pulling away from each eye of the shock with great force but it doesnt extend more, so dont know what could be the problem :/

Thanks
Sandwich talks about compressing the shock, not extending. Bottom out bumpers will prevent them from compressing all the way.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Thanks
there's no bumper on the shaft? I feel like there should be...

that little white thing should prevent the shock from getting full travel unless bottomed out...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

that little white thing should prevent the shock from getting full travel unless bottomed out...

I don't think he's trying to measure it by compressing it... probably measuring the exposed shaft? His exposed shaft isn't long enough, duh. :D

madpharma

Chimp
Oct 16, 2018

I don't think he's trying to measure it by compressing it... probably measuring the exposed shaft? His exposed shaft isn't long enough, duh. :D
Exactly haha, jokes aside thats what I meant. Extending it to the max with more than enough force, the caliper only reads 65mm.

Today we are going to measure eye to eye again, to see what could be happening. Im starting to think that this could be a 216x63mm shock and the seller lied to us...

madpharma

Chimp
Oct 16, 2018
So this evening we measured and it gets stranger:

Total eye to eye lenght (measured many times)= 220 so 2mm short from 222mm which should be its real lenght.

Stroke lenght= 65mm so 5mm shorter than 70mm which again should be its real lenght.

So, if the shaft were compressed and for some reason could fully extend, the lenght should be 222-5= 217mm, not 220.

Compared against 2 fox dhx2 that measured the two exactly 222x70, and the ohlins shaft its clearly shorter just looking at it.

The third test was trying to put a brand new nukeproof light steel spring, and to put it in the ohlins you had to compress it a little wich its not ideal, and in the fox shox it entered perfectly.

The nex step is contacting ohlins to see if they have a answer, and will chime when (if) we get an update. Thanks!

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
So this evening we measured and it gets stranger:

Total eye to eye lenght (measured many times)= 220 so 2mm short from 222mm which should be its real lenght.

Stroke lenght= 65mm so 5mm shorter than 70mm which again should be its real lenght.

So, if the shaft were compressed and for some reason could fully extend, the lenght should be 222-5= 217mm, not 220.

Compared against 2 fox dhx2 that measured the two exactly 222x70, and the ohlins shaft its clearly shorter just looking at it.

The third test was trying to put a brand new nukeproof light steel spring, and to put it in the ohlins you had to compress it a little wich its not ideal, and in the fox shox it entered perfectly.

The nex step is contacting ohlins to see if they have a answer, and will chime when (if) we get an update. Thanks!
I had to compress my old TTX in a vice to change stock springs.

madpharma

Chimp
Oct 16, 2018
Update:

As the national distrubution and service center told us:

Since the ohlins universal came out the endeye of the shock was elongated 3mm. they use to be 38mm long and now they are 41 mm long. So the stroke becomes shorter. We solved it machining the endeye to take out that 3mm to restore all the bike's travel.

To me this is a strange way of acting because if you claim the shock to have 70mm it should have 70mm not 65..66...