Quantcast

Oil Change for my RC2X, any advice.

kellyn7

Monkey
Apr 12, 2005
San Diego
I'm changing the oil in my RC2X tomorrow, anyone got any advice. I already contacted Marzocchi and they told me what oil weight and height I should use. Just wondering if anyone has any advice for me cause this is the first Marzocchi I've taken apart. (only have limited experience with boxxers) Thanks.

kellyn7

Monkey
Apr 12, 2005
San Diego
Tuning it to my weight and its always a good idea to dump the break-in oil and put new stuff in. I've got 30 rides on it and I just figured I put some quality oil in it also. (Redline synthetic) That's why I'm changing the oil so soon.

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
This is my advise to you, DON'T DO IT!!! unless you have done it before with other forks. Take it to a shop that has experience in taking apart Marz forks and changing oil, other wise you might find that you are in a bind with 2 different weight oils in your fork from not draining out all the oil correctly

kellyn7

Monkey
Apr 12, 2005
San Diego
I shouldn't have a problem getting all the oil cycled out of it. Thats pretty basic, I'm more interested in disassembly because in the past I've only dealt with boxxers and there's not much to them. Just looking for some tips, thanx.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I've never taken apart a 888 but my super-T was real easy to get apart and change the oil. If you ask 'zoke I think they will have a tech manual that tells you what you need to do step by step.

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
Yes its a good idea to change the oil after a few uses, the oil gets very dirty as little metallic bits are at the bottom of the fork because of the fork being new, anyway, whats the oil height of the rc2x?? cheers
kellyn7 said:
Tuning it to my weight and its always a good idea to dump the break-in oil and put new stuff in. I've got 30 rides on it and I just figured I put some quality oil in it also. (Redline synthetic) That's why I'm changing the oil so soon.

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
I would change it ASAP. My RC2X had a lot of metal bits in the right leg. The left didn't have as much but was still pretty dirty. This was after 3 rides so I think changing it after break in would be a good idea.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Go-ride.com has a great article on tuning the 888, it is way better than the Marz manual and by following their lead I was able to change oil and add the comp sleeve to my '05 888 with no problems. I am not sure if it's been updated for the RC2X or what has changed, so beware, but it's got lots of good tips. You are doing the right thing by changing the oil now, the height is often a little screwy from the factory (uneven between the two legs and/or just off), plus like others have said there will be lots of little metal bits from new parts breaking in.

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
OGRipper said:
Go-ride.com has a great article on tuning the 888, it is way better than the Marz manual and by following their lead I was able to change oil and add the comp sleeve to my '05 888 with no problems. I am not sure if it's been updated for the RC2X or what has changed, so beware, but it's got lots of good tips. You are doing the right thing by changing the oil now, the height is often a little screwy from the factory (uneven between the two legs and/or just off), plus like others have said there will be lots of little metal bits from new parts breaking in.
Last time I checked Go-ride.com website, it didnt tell anything about the new rc2x, I wrote Scott Crabill and he told me he hadnt had enough time to try the fork....I hope he will update his article and add some new tips about the rc2x because his 888´s article in Go-ride.com is great for tuning older 888 models