Quantcast

Oil heights for '05 Marzocchi's? (especially Z1 FR1)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
1000-Oaks said:
The manual doesn't show oil heights anymore, anyone know what they should be on the '05 Z1 FR1 w/ETA?
I think you should check the rockshox or manitou website first.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Quote from the Marzocchi site:

"Note: the table shows the oil volumes in cc."

If anyone else is using the CC volume numbers and thinking they're the oil height from the top of the stanchions in millimeters, I don't think they're going to be pleased with the results. If adding a certain number of CC's, you'll probably want to drain the fork at least overnight and work the shock to make sure all the old oil is out. Even then I'll bet there's still quite a bit in there.

Me on the other hand, I have to ride it tomorrow and was looking for the oil heights so I don't have to goof around. So I just added 10cc to each leg and will try that.

Jorgen

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Oslo, Norway
I just serviced my Z1 Fr1 with 150mm travel and had the same problem.

After trying to get rid of ALL the oil in the fork and refilling it with the said amount it was actually FULL when I slid the springs into it.

Oil height is to me, a much better way of measuring oil.

I just used a syringe to take out a bit of the oil and it felt fine. But this is not very scientific way of doing it :-(

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
That's certainly confusing, the switch from oil height to volume. I alway thought cc is easier, because it is easier to figure out the volume, vs having to cycle the cartridge.

Frankly the hardest part about measuring volume is finding a measuring cup which does cc's. The last time I found a shot glass with the measurements on the side...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
1000-Oaks said:

If anyone else is using the CC volume numbers and thinking they're the oil height from the top of the stanchions in millimeters, I don't think they're going to be pleased with the results. If adding a certain number of CC's, you'll probably want to drain the fork at least overnight and work the shock to make sure all the old oil is out. Even then I'll bet there's still quite a bit in there.
I thought about it, and if you confused cc with mm, you would be pretty stupid.

For example, Marzocchi recommends 210 cc for a 888 170mm. 210 mm is almost 2 inches longer the entire length of travel.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
1000-Oaks said:

Me on the other hand, I have to ride it tomorrow and was looking for the oil heights so I don't have to goof around. So I just added 10cc to each leg and will try that.
It's not that complex. Open the fork. Drain out oil. Cycle damper a few times to make sure all oil is out. Add new oil. If fork is not getting full travel, insert a straw, close off the end, and pull it out. Repeat a couple times. Try fork again. If fork bottoms, fill cap of oil bottle and pour capful until fork. Try fork again. Takes a little longer to tune the oil level to your liking, but when you find it where you like it, just remember the oil height, and there you go, you are set.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Eurotrash said:
is it still 7.5w for marzo forks? my Z1 is prob due for an oil change soon
Yes, still 7.5wt. I usually use Silkone or Maxima 7wt to replace stock.

Even on the closed-cartridge marzocchis (new TST dampers like on the AM1) it's still 7.5wt stock. I'm going to go do an experiment in a few minutes with my AM1, and replace the oil in the damping cart with 5wt bel ray HV1.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I take a syringe and fill it up, so it measures CC's on it. If it bottoms out too easily and it's around the right amount in each leg I'll add 5-10 CC's depending on what I'm looking for. It just makes it easier to put into the forks legs that way. No mess or anything.

But yeah, I like the 2" from the top, fully compressed deal with my shiver. I just cut a zip tie 2" long and stick it down in there. It's easier then trying to find a way to measure 200cc's of fluid. I know they are out there but not like anywhere I know of will have them.

J

JRB

Spunger said:
I take a syringe and fill it up, so it measures CC's on it.
:stupid: I use 60cc syringes I get at the feed store. Anyone in need, I will pick them up for the cost plus shipping. I usually keep at least 2 around. I use them to put latex in tires too.

*I used to swear by CCs, but once I learned how to measure height, it works just as well. I do cut a straw that is attached to a syringe to suck oil out to get the right height. There is always a syringe involved.

sanjuro said:
That's certainly confusing, the switch from oil height to volume. I alway thought cc is easier, because it is easier to figure out the volume, vs having to cycle the cartridge.

Frankly the hardest part about measuring volume is finding a measuring cup which does cc's. The last time I found a shot glass with the measurements on the side...
1cc=1ml=1cm^3