Quantcast

oil in air cartridge

dhrace

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
just took my wc boxxers apart because they started to feel harsh . when I took the air cartridge apart there was alot of oil in it. so do that mean the air cartridge is blown? when I put it back together the forks felt fine, so what caused the oil to get in there ?

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Just seeping past a seal... my 888 does that too.

How fast does it fill up? If it's relatively quick, you'll want to replace that seal.

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
The bottom of the stanchion on solo air boxxer IS sealed. Unfortunately the o-rings don't always keep the oil out, and eventually need to be replaced. You might want to pour as little as no oil in the uppers to prolong the intervals before your neg chamber needs to be drained again.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The bottom of the stanchion on solo air boxxer IS sealed. Unfortunately the o-rings don't always keep the oil out, and eventually need to be replaced. You might want to pour as little as no oil in the uppers to prolong the intervals before your neg chamber needs to be drained again.
No it's not, to my knowledge. The actual air chamber is sealed (ie. the portions of the stanchion that hold negative and positive air), however there is some volume at the bottom of the stanchion that is "volume reduced" (ie. doesn't hold spring air) and oil can enter this part because the plug at the base of the stanchion doesn't have a seal on it. Wouldn't be hard to rig something up in that region actually if you cared.

xxFRESHxx

Chimp
Jun 21, 2008
Germany, BY
where exactly is the oil you are talking about? you said "in the air cartridge" so i guess you mean that:
when you assemble the the solo air you have to put 5ml of 15 wt fork oil into the stanchion on top of the air piston. it makes the air piston glide better and supports the sealing. when the oil is below the air piston just drain it out and put new oil above the piston.
without the oil you will probably experience excessive wear on the piston o-ring, bad response on small bumps and maybe air transfer from the positive to the negative air chamber.