Quantcast

Oil now below $50/barrel...

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I don't understand why the hell the price goes up and down so wildly. Two months ago I paid $3.79 for 93 octane, and last night I paid $2.34. I just don't get it.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
N8 said:
Reg unleaded can be had for $1.91 around here...
PHP:
Call me naive here. I know that in Utah they use 85 octane fuel, are you quoting the price of 85 octane fuel? .

Here in So Cal we haven’t seen gas under the $2 mark in over 2 years. Currently, we are paying about $2.59 a gallon for 87 octane…

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I Are Baboon said:
I don't understand why the hell the price goes up and down so wildly. Two months ago I paid $3.79 for 93 octane, and last night I paid $2.34. I just don't get it.

Its a 'supply and demand' driven comodity.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
Well, gas prices are still high in the US because-

PETROLEUM ($/bbl)
PRICE* CHANGE % CHANGE TIME
Nymex Crude Future 57.60 -.28 -.48 13:08
IPE Crude Future 55.56 -.44 -.79 13:29
Dated Brent Spot 54.98 -.03 -.05 13:38
WTI Cushing Spot 57.50 -.38 -.66 12:1
(From Bloomberg 11/17/05 10:45AM)

... prices are still high here.

I use the Nymex Crude Future as my barometer.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
jacking:

so the big oil companies are in court now, right, being questioned on price gouging? so...what if it comes out that they were jacking the prices up...what will happen?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
the Inbred said:
jacking:

so the big oil companies are in court now, right, being questioned on price gouging? so...what if it comes out that they were jacking the prices up...what will happen?
The lawyers will be paid millions of dollars, while we will receive 10% off on a tank of gas.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Tenchiro said:
The lawyers will be paid millions of dollars, while we will receive 10% off on a tank of gas.
Actually, they'll have to raise prices to pay for the lawyers.

Oh - damn. You would've had gas for $1.60 by now, but since we got the $hit sued out of us you'll only see $1.75. :sneaky:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
the Inbred said:
jacking:

Are they actually in court? I thougth the Senate was grilling them? And I can't even imagine the Senate doing something like this to get votes. :rolleyes:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
SkaredShtles said:
Are they actually in court? I thougth the Senate was grilling them? And I can't even imagine the Senate doing something like this to get votes. :rolleyes:
Far from grilling considering they didn't even have to swear in before starting the session. I mean, seriously, what are you going to get out if them if they don't even have to break the law to lie?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
SkaredShtles said:
Why again do you give them your money? :confused:
Because my landlord demands rent. I demand money from my employer to satisfy the damands of my landlord, and my employer demands that I actually show up to work five days a week! Sheesh! My car demands petrol that the oil barons control before it will take me to work. I need the gas to feed my car so I give the oil barons whatever they demand for said gas. Unfortunately for me the oil barons demands change all the time, usually going higher. Sadly my landlords demands also go higher. I tried upping my demands of my employer but they laughed at me and demanded that I STFU. The only one not getting his demands met is me. :blah:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
jimmydean said:
Far from grilling considering they didn't even have to swear in before starting the session. I mean, seriously, what are you going to get out if them if they don't even have to break the law to lie?
The Senate knows that there's nothing to "get out" so they're doing this dog and pony for votes, plain and simple.

Or maybe they're not and the executives are all an alien race.......

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Ciaran said:
Because my landlord demands rent. I demand money from my employer to satisfy the damands of my landlord, and my employer demands that I actually show up to work five days a week! Sheesh! My car demands petrol that the oil barons control before it will take me to work. I need the gas to feed my car so I give the oil barons whatever they demand for said gas. Unfortunately for me the oil barons demands change all the time, usually going higher. Sadly my landlords demands also go higher. I tried upping my demands of my employer but they laughed at me and demanded that I STFU. The only one not getting his demands met is me. :blah:
You use this "need" word awfully frequently. As if there are no alternatives to you. Let's say the oil ran out tomorrow. Would you be homeless and starving within a month? :p

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
the Inbred said:
jacking:

Good question. Who knows. *Maybe* legislation to prevent gouging in the future? Congress bullied Major League Baseball into tougher steroid penalties, so maybe they'll force the oil industry into something. Then again, I find it hard to believe they can force a monster like Big Oil into anything. Like -SS- said, it's most likely a dog-and-pony show aimed at gathering goodwill among voters.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
DRB said:
Man I wish you all would have been around when "big oil" was taking a beating in the 90's.

Yep... remember a couple years ago when gas fell below $1/gal??

No one was crying for BigOil then.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
SkaredShtles said:
What are people going to do when OPEC gets hold of its members and *forces* oil to $100/bbl?

LET'S INVADE IRAQ!!!

:think:

Hold on..........
So are you saying that our war for Cheap Oil is finally paying off?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
SkaredShtles said:
You use this "need" word awfully frequently. As if there are no alternatives to you. Let's say the oil ran out tomorrow. Would you be homeless and starving within a month? :p
I only used the word NEED once. I used the word DEMAND alot.

Starving and homeless? nah... but life would be a bit tougher. Could I survive? Absolutely. I would have to go somewhere else to live but I could survive. I would probably complain and whine alot but I could survive. :D

There are alternatives to my current lifestyle and I am exploring those options but I am not ready to leave So Cal yet and live those options.

Out of curiosity, has anyone here ever tried to live without petrolium based products? It's extremely difficult to do. One of the goals some of my fellow recreationists strive for is to live completely as one would have in the middle ages. Generally they do this for a week or two at our "wars". It is very very dificult to do. I know of only one guy that has come very close and even he had to make huge allowances for some things. Personally I don't worry about such accuracy in my recreation, I just drink alot of beer. :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Ciaran said:
I only used the word NEED once. I used the word DEMAND alot.

Starving and homeless? nah... but life would be a bit tougher. Could I survive? Absolutely. I would have to go somewhere else to live but I could survive. I would probably complain and whine alot but I could survive. :D
Suck it up, Princess. :p