Quantcast

Oiled disc pads now they slip

wyrd

Chimp
Jul 28, 2008
My front disc brake was squeeky so I put a drop of oil between the disc brake pads... Now the brake has lost all it's stopping power, even after I have wiped the pads down. I read on another forum that the oil will soak into the pads and they will have to be replaced. Before I go jetting off into the unknown again and fork out for something I don't need, will I need new pads or can I give them a dose of WD40 or something?

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
you can try filing them down, but don't ever add oil to your brakes.

replace your pads, straighten your rotor or reposition your caliper. that the only 3 things you should do to adjust your disc brakes (and bleed them).

Last edited:

wyrd

Chimp
Jul 28, 2008
Thanks. Filing them down is worth a try if they are knackered anyway. Sounds like a job for a grinding stone bit on my dremel wondertoy.

Last edited:

jsh191

Monkey
Nov 16, 2006
birdsboro, pa
oil + brakes don't mix.... but, you hopefully already realize that. buying new pads will be the easiest fix...not the cheapest, but definitely the easiest. and, keep the lubes away from the brakes....:bonk:

wyrd

Chimp
Jul 28, 2008
Filing and burning seem to have made a definite improvement but I will have to ride it a few times and do some more filing and burning yet to make sure. I can always order some new pads if they are still slippy.

Last edited:

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
When I accidently spill some brake fluid on the pads, I usually spray on some "brake parts cleaner". Followed by a good torching with a lighter. Make sure to clean the rotor as well. Pay special attention to the vent holes as you may have some oil lurking there. Even a little bit of oil will cause braking problems. Good luck and welcome to Ridemonkey.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Welcome to the most wonderful place on the internet.

Replace the pads. They are toast. Once the lube gets in it's VERY hard to get rid of it. The pad material soaks it up like a sponge.

Take off the rotor, drop it in pan shallow pan of 99% pure rubbing alcohol and set it on fire. Then wipe it down with alcohol again after it cools. Use a grease/oil free cloth.

Keep lube away from pads/rotors - always. This was probably the reason they were squealing to being with.

builder666

Monkey
Dec 13, 2002
Construction in Subterfuge
Good tip to reduce disc brake noise... Next time you replace your brake pads try this.

1. Remove old pads.
2. Clean caliper assembly and rotor thoroughly with isopropyl, rubbing, alcohol and let dry.
3. File 45 degree chamfer on the leading edge of the new pads. DO NOT take off more than half of the thickness of the braking material.
4. When you have the wheel back in place, loosen the vertical bolts attaching the caliper assembly to the adapter so you can wiggle the caliper side to side.
5. Use two business cards as spacers between the new pads and the rotor and apply the brake, squeeze the lever a couple of times.
6. Tighten the bolts and remove business cards.

This works for me.

P.S. I keep isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle as it comes in handy for just these occasions.

Last edited:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
P.S. I keep isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle as it comes in handy for just these occasions.
Note:

Don't use the 70% or less rubbing alcohol they sell at the drug store. Use the 99% pure stuff.

The other dilutions have mineral oil and other crap added to them. Get the pure stuff.

El-Pinto

Chimp
Aug 11, 2008
Winkler, MB
I've heard that using a propane torch on the brake pads would burn off any oil residue in the pads.

I just came over from Pink bike, it feels good to be here, no clutter, I can actually read posts, and the information is thorough. I'm glad I found you guys.

Hope I helped.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Note:

Don't use the 70% or less rubbing alcohol they sell at the drug store. Use the 99% pure stuff.

The other dilutions have mineral oil and other crap added to them. Get the pure stuff.
The stuff I have been using is 73% and seems to work well. Where can I find the 99% alcohol? Is it available at normal stores? I've never seen it.

builder666

Monkey
Dec 13, 2002
Medical supply stores are a good resource. Your local drug store should have 91% in stock, which is still better.

The most important thing to do is remove the pads (don't spray alcohol of any type on them) before spraying and afterward to dry thoroughly (I use my air compressor to dry the nook and crannies).

dhpete93

Chimp
May 24, 2008
UK

builder666

Monkey
Dec 13, 2002
Personally, I ONLY use alcohol (no fire required) to clean the rotors and caliper assembly, and NEVER use anything on the pads themselves.

If you get any oil on the pads themselves toss them (they are done), clean everything and start over. Alcohol does the job and is much more affordable.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Personally, I ONLY use alcohol (no fire required) to clean the rotors and caliper assembly, and NEVER use anything on the pads themselves.

If you get any oil on the pads themselves toss them (they are done), clean everything and start over. Alcohol does the job and is much more affordable.
Every time I'm drinking a beer or a bottle of vodka in my garage, I always spill a little on my brakes. Keeps 'em clean. This is more my style of maintenance and my not work for everyone.

aphex2k

Chimp
Sep 7, 2008
Yep you can clean oil off pads with a blowtorch or heat gun. Not ideal I know, but it works.

Pure Acetone or IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) will clean them too and I've had good success with Fenwicks disc brake cleaner (similar the the Muc-Off variety)

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Yep you can clean oil off pads with a blowtorch or heat gun. Not ideal I know, but it works.

Pure Acetone or IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) will clean them too and I've had good success with Fenwicks disc brake cleaner (similar the the Muc-Off variety)
Acetone leaves a film on the pads. If you're going to soak in acetone, make sure to rinse in iso afterwards.