Quantcast

Ok advice needed I think

Hi girls. I have a slight problem I think:

I work at a bike shop owned by an awesome guy (climber, ex triatholoner, ex road and mountain racer, caver, scuba guy, etc..). BUT I work under this arrogant a$$ (the so called "manager"). He is very insecure, I think especially with the fact that I am doing so well at the shop (asking questions if I dont know, reading up on stuff, racing and getting out there, being a very people person ect...) , and with the fact that I am a female AND threating his job as manager.
So heres where the problem lies...
My manager is an acute acoholic, ex pot head, has flaring ADHD and is impossible to talk to and work with. If yu try to talk to him he makes you feel stupid and puts every fault onto you (this happens to the other kids I work with too).
How do you work with this? How can I work around him and be happy at my job? Right now I am not happy doing something I love... (isnt it great how one person can ruin the things you love?). Any advice? Anyone been here done this?:help: :help: :help:

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
sunnerbeanmtb said:
Hi girls. I have a slight problem I think:

I work at a bike shop owned by an awesome guy (climber, ex triatholoner, ex road and mountain racer, caver, scuba guy, etc..). BUT I work under this arrogant a$$ (the so called "manager"). He is very insecure, I think especially with the fact that I am doing so well at the shop (asking questions if I dont know, reading up on stuff, racing and getting out there, being a very people person ect...) , and with the fact that I am a female AND threating his job as manager.
So heres where the problem lies...
My manager is an acute acoholic, ex pot head, has flaring ADHD and is impossible to talk to and work with. If yu try to talk to him he makes you feel stupid and puts every fault onto you (this happens to the other kids I work with too).
How do you work with this? How can I work around him and be happy at my job? Right now I am not happy doing something I love... (isnt it great how one person can ruin the things you love?). Any advice? Anyone been here done this?:help: :help: :help:
You might look up al-anon, it is the "sister" program to AA, for friends, family and others who have alcoholics in their lives. It won't give you a magic pill that will make them stop what they are doing, but you will gain a lot of tools that will make dealing with them a lot easier.

http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I don't think it should be your personal problem to fix his personal problems. But when they affect you, you have to work something out. Can you talk to the owner of the shop? Maybe set up a meeting between the 3 of you? Other than that, I'd say document everything that happens, things he says to you etc. to use for amunition.

Good luck.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
There's not usually any "working things out" with an alcoholic. The best you can hope to do is change how you react to them, and to not take on their crap.

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
How much time do you have to spend with the manager? Is it a situation where he is always there in your face? Or can you just tell yourself he's an ass, and I'm going to keep doing my job regardless of him. If you really love your job then I stay stick with it, do your best to limit your conversations with the manager, and know that eventually he will be gone. Unfortunately there is ALWAYS that one person at work that you just wish would fall in a big hole and never be seen again.

And of course, ride your bike. :)

haha thanks girls. His alcoholism isnt realyl a problem..he is just arrogant. He thinks the shop wont get run when he isnt around but truth of the matter is that the shop not only is run better but we get more bikes put out, tunes done, services done, and items sold when he isnt gone. In 1 day, I sold just under $2,000 worth of stuff in our store. The next day, another mechanic sold over $1,000 worth of stuff. Our manager hasnt sold a bike in about a week and in 2 days my co worker and I sold 5 or 6. HAHA!
Talking to the owner of the store is tough. I feel like I bug him with these problem (he also runs the bar/resurant next door and has enough problems over there). He assures me that "everything will work out soon". So Im hoping for the best.
My manager just needs to piss off. HA!