Quantcast

OK, Armchair Chemists...Gorilla Tape Residue.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

This is what I have on hand and would try first. Citrasolv is very strong and can ruin stuff if not careful. Had a bottle fall over in a closet and it got through the cap, ate all the finish off the wood floor and seeped into the basement apartment. Make sure you neutralize the cleaned area with water. I'd keep a wet cloth handy and wipe the area immediately before moving onto the next section. Not sure about using on carbon though. But you'll find out if the rim is compromised I am sure. Good luck.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons

This is what I have on hand and would try first. Citrasolv is very strong and can ruin stuff if not careful. Had a bottle fall over in a closet and it got through the cap, ate all the finish off the wood floor and seeped into the basement apartment. Make sure you neutralize the cleaned area with water. I'd keep a wet cloth handy and wipe the area immediately before moving onto the next section. Not sure about using on carbon though. But you'll find out if the rim is compromised I am sure. Good luck.
Made a super strong batch of this with pure citric acid powder, didn’t made so much as a dent...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It’s so thick on there, the only thing that would ever create an airtight seal would be more Gorilla Tape.
Yeah

that's the system

That's what you do

You put tape back on and put the next tire back on

"clean" psh

worry about it when it creates an actual real life problem (which it never will)

Just tape it back up and go ride. I'm speaking from vast experience based in laziness.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Made a super strong batch of this with pure citric acid powder, didn’t made so much as a dent...
Do whut nao ?

I've been using citrasolv since the early 90s. Nothing beats it for removing glue residue from tape, stickers and labels. Use it full strength and neutralize immediately with water as not to ruin the finish or clear coat.

Epoxies on the other hand require something like 91% Isopropyl alcohol, denatured alcohol, acetone or odorless mineral spirits. Acetone can be found in any drug store as fingernail polish remover. Also good to have on hand should you accidentally super glue yourself to something.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
read post number 52

here is a visual
View attachment 152912
Okay, now we can see your problem. It's not the residue, it's the tape itself. No solvent that is consumer safe is going to do anything until you remove all the tape. And the only way to do that is to pick at it with your thumbnail or a scraping tool of some kind. Just going to take a lot of time and patience.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Have you tried time? Pick a good solvent and let soak for the night. Cut strip off an old towel, drench in mineral spirits, wrap around the rim and seal it in place with saran wrap or similar.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Have you tried time? Pick a good solvent and let soak for the night. Cut strip off an old towel, drench in mineral spirits, wrap around the rim and seal it in place with saran wrap or similar.
For soaking I'd go with that citrus stripper someone posted earlier. No need to soak a towel, just slather on and wait overnight. I've had good results removing old paint with it.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Which would be fine...if it were remotely possible to EVER take the tire off out on a trail. Maybe I should just say fuck it, and run Cushcore, so I never even bother to try and take a tire off?
you mean in order to put in a tube?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Just wait a week an the lizards will create a new wheel size, new rims means no tape residue and you’ll be .000765% fast through the gravel flow trails everyone is raving about.

My only suggestion is WD40, it works in a lot of sticky shit, it’ll probably not work for you, but at least I’m the first one to suggest it, I think.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Not the residue. The thickness of the gorilla tape and the tire, and the fact that the sealant bonds to it. Trust me, four dudes with tire levers couldn’t get it off. Heh.
heh.
luckily we finally fixed it with many, many Stan’s darts.