Quantcast

OK, Armchair Chemists...Gorilla Tape Residue.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Well one thing is for sure, if you don't do a thorough job then you'll almost certainly feel compelled to take the tire off to check for goo, ten minutes before your next ride. I get your problem now. If you don't get all the goo off then you can't easily get the tire off to check to see if you indeed did remove all the goo. The circles must be maddening.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I studded my own auto tires this season. I do not recommend this. I had to basically make the tool to do this, started out with a screwdriver with a socket and spacing the socket with some paper to ensure the stud protruded far enough so it wouldn't be covered by the socket, but the socket was too large in relation to the stud. I played around with various tools and it took me about 15 minutes to get one in. I put a couple in like this With about 395 studs to go, that kind of progress was not going to cut it. I eventually found a better driver handle and then a real tiny socket, maybe 7mm, that fit the stud nearly perfectly, but I had to drill it out a bit (hardened steel, you know), luckily not too much. All in all, I still "saved money" compared to the cost to have someone stud them, but it was rough getting started and it still wasn't easy. There are definitely better things I could have been doing. I eventually got it down close to as fast as I can stud bike tires, but again, I don't recommend doing this. That gorilla tape is a bitch when it hardens. It basically becomes hardened epoxy.