Quantcast

OK, Armchair Chemists...Gorilla Tape Residue.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I hated removing red sew up glue. I would sit there for hours using the blade of a swiss army knife scraping down the rims. then acetone, then more scraping then more acetone. It would take me at least two days per wheel to get that shit off. But you never rolled a tire with red.. White was great for the track easy to change a tire but I would never use it in the mountains it would soften under braking on fast descents...Red never softened under 1000s of feet of fast descents with hard braking.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I hated removing red sew up glue. I would sit there for hours using the blade of a swiss army knife scraping down the rims. then acetone, then more scraping then more acetone. It would take me at least two days per wheel to get that shit off. But you never rolled a tire with red.. White was great for the track easy to change a tire but I would never use it in the mountains it would soften under braking on fast descents...Red never softened under 1000s of feet of fast descents with hard braking.
Roadie cult stuff.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Roadie cult stuff.
1970-80s the clincher tires of the day were shit. And until the late 70s there were no Mt bikes Cross bikes were rare. we hit the trails with Stingrays and modified cruisers. Lots of nasty helmetless crashes. I was on a first name basis with the ER Docs getting stitched up on a semi monthly basis.

My roadie in 1980 was a custom Steel framed Colnago, Columbus SL Tubing, Campy Record Hubs on Mavic GP4 rims, Vittoria Sew ups, Suntour Superbe Pro Group, pedals with toe clips, sidi shoes, wool shorts and jersey by Cinelli. The bike weighed in at just under 18 pounds

Funny how I still ride a steel framed Colnago road bike , Master Light XL

First Mt Bike was a Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo fully rigid. I beat the shit out of that frame and it never broke. I killed wheels, seats, bars, shifters, cranks and fork but that steel frame never died

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I did glue up a clincher once when I worked at a shop. I've seen all sorts of cult stuff that makes me wonder if it actually even worked. Seems like tubeless is the natural evolution.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
So @eric strt6 modern research on head injuries shows the emotional symptoms you have described as absolutely classic. Have you watched the Jimmy LeVan documentary?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I did glue up a clincher once when I worked at a shop. I've seen all sorts of cult stuff that makes me wonder if it actually even worked. Seems like tubeless is the natural evolution.
Most pro road team still use tubular tires because they do not peel off the rims when flat. So, yeah, they work! However, now tubeless tires offer lower rolling resistance I guess some teams will try them even outside a time trial.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I used to use tubulars on my cross bike. Never understood why people bitched about mounting them so much. The performance was so much better than clinchers. Fwiw, I never scraped glue and never rolled a tire in 10+ years of racing.

Coolstarrybra.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
She is in a sticky situation.

But yesterday my acccumulated knowledge helped a friend get some stubborn rim strip off, so I consider this whole tape residue thing to be a net positive.

to sum up : Don’t use gorilla glue unless it is the only damn thing you have available, but take that shit off as soon as you get home. I would probably use (gasp) electrical tape for this one or two ride (emergency/camping) situation in the future.
Or better, keep some spare rim strip in my bug-out tool kit.

HTH

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A friend in highschool used black spray paint on her hair trying to dress up like the bride of frankenstein for Halloween. It didn't end well.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
NECRO

i maybe did a thing. with gorilla tape. and rims. metal rims at least.

i found technique in tape removal made a significant difference in the amount of residue left behind.