OK, Armchariors, Paradox Suspension?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Lexon Paradox

[ show mystery car hidden under a white sheet blowing from the breeze of an interior fan ]
Announcer: Can a single luxury car be both the most spacious and the most compact on the market? Lexon asks you to consider a paradox.

Female Voiceover: Paradox..

Announcer: Introducing the all-new Lexon Paradox. Smaller than the competition, yet bigger.

Female Voiceover: We are through the looking glass..

[ show two groups of Lexon engineers standing on opposite sides of the screen ]
Announcer: This remarkable automobile is the synthesis of the work of two teams of Lexon engineers. Team A was asked to decrease the size of Lexon’s most popular model.. while Team B searched for ways to make it bigger.

Announcer: While one team made Paradox the most expensive car in the world.. another made it the most affordable.

Announcer: One designed the Paradox to be an elegant, white luxury Sedan.

Female Voiceover: White Sedan..

Announcer: The others, a sporty red Coupe.

Female Voiceover: Red Coupe..

Announcer: One team gave it incredible stopping power.. the other gave it no brakes of any kind.

Announcer: One team was asked to give the Paradox four doors.. another designed it to have only two.. while still another gave it six doors.. and the final team, one gigantic all-purpose door.

Female Voiceover: One.. big.. door..

Announcer: And, while one team gave the Paradox dual airbags.. another designed it to shatter on impact, throwing passengers up to 300 yards.

Female Voiceover: Very, very dangerous..

Announcer: The new Paradox. The best car money can buy.

Female Voiceover: Or is it.. the worst?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
"Bryan McFarland personifies the renaissance man. With a bachelor's in fine art and a master's in therapeutic recreation, he has also developed expertise in clinical psychology. He's supervised and managed complex recreational programs and summer camps. Bryan has dabbled in environmental science, neurology, world religions, theoretical physics, engineering and sociology/group dynamics."

This. This is the person I want designing my mountain bike suspension.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
"Bryan McFarland personifies the renaissance man. With a bachelor's in fine art and a master's in therapeutic recreation, he has also developed expertise in clinical psychology. He's supervised and managed complex recreational programs and summer camps. Bryan has dabbled in environmental science, neurology, world religions, theoretical physics, engineering and sociology/group dynamics."

he's no less qualified than most industry "engineers"

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

But those fab skills

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I like how there are two whole paragraphs on the Kickstarter page attempting to explain how this is better than a URT. As an actual mechanical engineer, that whole page is a whole lotta rambling nonsense.

"What makes this different than other mountain bikes?

Unified Rear Triangle (URT): URTs were the biggest thing in full suspension cross country race bikes in the 1990s. Because they utilized a single-pivot design, the ride quality was somewhat flawed. The bottom brackets moved as much as 4 inches and the suspension had to lift the rider’s weight a full inch. Riders attempting to bomb downhill while not seated ended up getting thrown over the handlebars because the suspension was effectively locked out. The entire concept of the URT was dropped because it was eventually deemed unsalvageable. This is how the Paradox Suspension got its name. It accomplishes a ride quality engineers thought impossible of URTs. It has a super-efficient design that’s also superior at shock absorption no matter how the rider is positioned. In truth, this should have been the progression for full suspension mountain bikes almost 25 years ago.

Paradox Suspension: The crossing linkage was first imagined by the artist and after an extensive search for patented linkage designs, Bryan found the peculiar beginnings of this mechanical device. A Russian scientist, Pafnuty Tchebicheff invented the linkage in the 1800s as a way to transform rotary motion into a straight line. It was called the Tchebicheff Straight Line Generator and with the exception of some steam cranes, has gone fairly unutilized since. The Tchebicheff linkage is a type of 4-bar linkage that uses crossing links to rotate a link around a point and move it along in a straight line. Pafnuty hadn’t realized it at the time, but he designed the perfect concept to improve upon the ride dynamics for URT full-suspension mountain bikes. The Paradox Suspension is a derivative of the Tchebicheff linkage and utilizes a range of pivot placements to achieve specific results in axel path, bottom bracket path, leverage ratio, anti-squat and anti-rise variables."

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I like how there are two whole paragraphs on the Kickstarter page attempting to explain how this is better than a URT. As an actual mechanical engineer, that whole page is a whole lotta rambling nonsense.

"What makes this different than other mountain bikes?

Unified Rear Triangle (URT): URTs were the biggest thing in full suspension cross country race bikes in the 1990s. Because they utilized a single-pivot design, the ride quality was somewhat flawed. The bottom brackets moved as much as 4 inches and the suspension had to lift the rider’s weight a full inch. Riders attempting to bomb downhill while not seated ended up getting thrown over the handlebars because the suspension was effectively locked out. The entire concept of the URT was dropped because it was eventually deemed unsalvageable. This is how the Paradox Suspension got its name. It accomplishes a ride quality engineers thought impossible of URTs. It has a super-efficient design that’s also superior at shock absorption no matter how the rider is positioned. In truth, this should have been the progression for full suspension mountain bikes almost 25 years ago.

Paradox Suspension: The crossing linkage was first imagined by the artist and after an extensive search for patented linkage designs, Bryan found the peculiar beginnings of this mechanical device. A Russian scientist, Pafnuty Tchebicheff invented the linkage in the 1800s as a way to transform rotary motion into a straight line. It was called the Tchebicheff Straight Line Generator and with the exception of some steam cranes, has gone fairly unutilized since. The Tchebicheff linkage is a type of 4-bar linkage that uses crossing links to rotate a link around a point and move it along in a straight line. Pafnuty hadn’t realized it at the time, but he designed the perfect concept to improve upon the ride dynamics for URT full-suspension mountain bikes. The Paradox Suspension is a derivative of the Tchebicheff linkage and utilizes a range of pivot placements to achieve specific results in axel path, bottom bracket path, leverage ratio, anti-squat and anti-rise variables."
Ahh, so like GT I-drive...which basically "solved" the URT problem 20 years ago.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Ahh, so like GT I-drive...which basically "solved" the URT problem 20 years ago.
Yeah I was thinking of the Mongoose version-
1642020563053.png

I hope the Paradox uses unsealed bushings and some sort of new, breakthrough polymer spring.
EDIT- I wonder if it is the Zee Cranks guy having another go:D:D:D:D

1642020908567.png

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
As much as people bitch about the cost of suspension bearings, a few cheap door hinges might be a nice option, and you can get them in black, brass, zinc or stainless steel to match your colorway.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
As much as people bitch about the cost of suspension bearings, a few cheap door hinges might be a nice option, and you can get them in black, brass, zinc or stainless steel to match your colorway.
And you get extra float for free!

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I was thinking it's kinda like that. But then GT abandoned that platform what, like at least 12 years ago?
We have a guy at work who's the biggest loudmouth...the kind of person who is super competitive but kind of an athletic has-been but pretends he's not serious about sports or whatever until he knows he's winning, then talks shit.

He's actually quite an accomplished roadie. But he'd been talking MTB shit and we finally got him to come out and he had an ancient i-drive.

Most notable for the speaker he draped around front so everyone could hear 90s music as he death-scraped up the mountain. Then came back down it, on the dirt road instead of the singletrack. I've never heard the man say less, and it was quite rewarding. Literally the only time he's ever shut up.

So that's my i-drive story.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Also, it will be a big hit if they retain and expand on the term "Tchebicheff Straight Line Generator," make the links of brass, leather-wrap the frame, and include a set of round welding goggles and a leather cap with each bike.

E-bike version to include Tesla coil.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I've seen some weird guy lucking to kickstart a similar URT revolution on some UK used bike groups