Quantcast

OK, F- you bike industry

At some point we all used to ride with a pair of lycra shorts, jersey, single water bottle, and maybe a multitool...
Wull, maybe no. For me it was jeans, cotton tee, no water, and a scattering of individual tools and spare parts that I had come to regard as useful during years of innocent commuting. The mix has changed as I have ridden more dirt, and I even currently own a multi-tool, which has proved useful on occasion.

I have come to wear jerseys, and even biker boi shorts when it gets warm enough, but have always found a pack, with or without a bladder, to be useful.

On water consumption, on a six or eight hour ride I might typically consume half a liter of water but wouldn't miss it if I didn't have it. Don't do anything in particular to hydrate prior to riding, but tend to drink and eat a lot after.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Ride what you like, stop caring what other people like, and stop trying to convince them your way is better.

There are roughly a gajillion ways to get kicks on two wheels, do your thing and don't be a dick about it.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
There are roughly a gajillion ways to get kicks on two wheels, do your thing and don't be a dick about it.
How cliche, "just ride what you like".

There is no arguing that the industry makes it harder and harder to just "ride what you like". I like 26" bikes with 9spds, 135mmx10mm and 110mmx20mm spaced hubs, and I prefer XT level components because they are good value and last well. Not to mention that a top of the line BICYCLE shouldn't cost almost $7k.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
While I agree with you on how stupid the industry is being, I went through something similar and have to laugh, looking back. I wanted to "reconnect" with the trail, make it more challenging, get back to the "nature" of riding. I bought myself a krampus and got it ready to go....and you know what? Riding that made me love my overcomplicated FS bike even more. My Evil is the best bike I've ever ridden, with all its carbon gadgetry and hydraulic thingees and everything. It's great, and there's a reason we ride bikes like this...

That being said, I was forced to take out my 26" HT commuter with semi slicks and a dart the other day, and I still had fun.
Now that's where you went wrong :P

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
There is no arguing that the industry makes it harder and harder to just "ride what you like". I like 26" bikes with 9spds, 135mmx10mm and 110mmx20mm spaced hubs, and I prefer XT level components because they are good value and last well. Not to mention that a top of the line BICYCLE shouldn't cost almost $7k.
You can still buy parts to keep bikes with all that stuff running, and you will be for a long time. Anyway I was responding to the debate about hardtails vs. squishy bikes.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
You can't blame the giant backpack thing on endur0 2016... shit's been going on since camelbak made the HAWG 10+ years ago.

I blame certain older canadian freeride pros.

My fav version of this is Ex-Military Tactical Bro on a 5 mi loop.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The worst thing there are many new cool bikes being produced. The problem is it's hard to notice when they fling so much marketing shit and new standards at us. I really like everything happening in the 120-180mm space but I won't buy any of it simply because it's a risk I will buy somewith with standards that will live for 2 years and die. Why can't the industry just get stoked the trail and enduro people with the same that worked for the dh crowd 5+ years ago - bikes are getting lighter, get better geo and susp after years of randumb design. How hard is it to just look at what Ih did with the Sunday 10 years ago and copy it. Jebus

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
How cliche, "just ride what you like".

ummm...why can't you do that? describes what i ride exactly other than that it's 1x10 and has a 12mm thru in the rear. i had a burly hardtail for a while. rode it a bit...then took the uzzi every time.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
You can't blame the giant backpack thing on endur0 2016... shit's been going on since camelbak made the HAWG 10+ years ago.

External Bluetooth Speaker Guy

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
We were at our local bike park this weekend, about 9 of us in a line running down a trail. At one point I popped out of the woods and saw my brother in the air on a hip, where he immediately jammed on the brakes into a cloud of dust. No shirt camelbak w/ only elbow pads on a khs hardtail guy was standing on the landing just looking around. I didn't even know how to handle it.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Meh... There's not just one kind of riding, and there's not just one kind of bike. We collectively agree that the industry is on a marketing driven spree of insanity and that there are no longer any meaningful standards. Hardtails are fun, dualies are fun, narrow and wide tires are fun; they all warrant different riding styles and yield different rewards. If it has pedals, fun is to be had. Sometimes we need to change modes to be reminded.
In the early '90s we had one style of bike, it was called a "mountain bike" and we had much more diverse terrain. Now we have umpteen different categories of mountain bike and most of them ride on the same style of trail.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

OTOH I haven't been able to find a decent 25L bike pack with hydration bladder. We do a lot of 2-3 day mountain trips down here*, and I'm linda tired of the bulky feeling I get with climbing packs.

*I'm not even sure that's Enduro™ Approved.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've never understood the argument that "the top end ________ costs _________, and a ________ shouldn't cost that much". The mere existence of something I don't want/can't afford isn't a problem, provided that I can find what I do want.
I want to light that motherfucker on fire. Doubly so when hiking.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
In the early '90s we had one style of bike, it was called a "mountain bike" and we had much more diverse terrain. Now we have umpteen different categories of mountain bike and most of them ride on the same style of trail.
1990s downhill bike:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
OTOH I haven't been able to find a decent 25L bike pack with hydration bladder. We do a lot of 2-3 day mountain trips down here*, and I'm linda tired of the bulky feeling I get with climbing packs.

*I'm not even sure that's Enduro™ Approved.

EVOC for life.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
XT is already 11spd, good 26" tires are getting fewer and fewer. I suspect good 26" rims are next.
Nah. You will be able to get a ton of them cheap because idiots will sell them. The only problem will be if you destroy your wheel at a resort and will want to buy a new one fast. Same with tires

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Do we need to discuss the guy at Mountain Creek last Friday on the eNorco and Bluetooth speaker attached to a regular-ass backpack? Ran into him during pro practice at the cabin drop. "You do this shit?" he asks. I nodded. "Fuck that, man..." *motored off sounding like a R/C car or one of those battery powered kids toy cars, soundtrack by Future or Desiigner or whatever*

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
People start out riding 29r's now from day one on Manicured trails. These people in 2-3 years are running the local show......that's not good IMO.

I started in the 90's on 26 riding beat up hiking trails. Was a much steeper learning curve.
And 26 is more fun, but too bad it's so damn slow.....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i know one guy who rides with an external bluetooth speaker, old college buddy of mine. he shreds harder than all the non racers i know, and many of the racers i know. granted, he is a sales rep for boombotix, so that probably has something to do with it as well.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I drink water all day and pound a bottle before the ride. I carry one bottle on the frame for up to 20+ miles (up to 3ish hours). Sometimes I don't even take a sip, but you better believe I drink a bunch when it's over. On hot long summer rides sometimes I'll carry a life straw just in case

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
i know one guy who rides with an external bluetooth speaker, old college buddy of mine. he shreds harder than all the non racers i know, and many of the racers i know. granted, he is a sales rep for boombotix, so that probably has something to do with it as well.
Riding fast and having a bluetooth speaker are unrelated. It's fucking obnoxious to assume that everybody else in the woods want to hear your shitty music. I want to light him on fire too.