Quantcast

ok guys, help again, please.... Toshiba laptop power problem

our "network admin" doesn't know much about computers (don't ask) so people keep coming to me with their problems.... what do you make of this....

Toshiba laptop will not power up when plugged into the ac adapter. If you unplug it, it'll boot up and then you can plug it back in.

is this a Toshiba issue? an adaper issue?

thanks!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Could be either. If the adapter is outputting the wrong voltage the laptop could be shutting itself down to protect itself. Or the laptop could be bad thinking the adaptor is bad. If you can get a voltmeter check the output of the adapter, or try a new adaptor.

Westy said:
Could be either. If the adapter is outputting the wrong voltage the laptop could be shutting itself down to protect itself. Or the laptop could be bad thinking the adaptor is bad. If you can get a voltmeter check the output of the adapter, or try a new adaptor.

I went to Toshiba's website and I printed out the adapter that goes with that laptop. I checked the voltage/freq and output (just to make sure we have the right adapter) and it was ok.

I checked other adapters around the office and they are different so I don't have another one to try.

and my voltage meter is at home (seriously, I have one :) )

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
you could try shutting off any power management options temporarily in BIOS. Sometimes SLEEP and SUSPEND modes in laptops take over and cause crazy problems...

CLancy

johnbryanpeters said:
Adapter plugged into wall directly or is it plugged into a surge suppressor or battery backup (preferred)?

If one, try the other - could have noisy power right out of the wall or battery backup itself could cause electrical noise if defective.

J

we've tried it both ways! Thanks for thinking!

I ordered a new power adapter from Toshiba. Hopefully, that will be the end of it!