Quantcast

OK, I am an Idiot.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
I just ordered two 26x2.3 Tioga Factory DH tires. Problem is I have gone to a 26/24 setup and have agreed to sell my rear 26" wheel. I'm such an idiot.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I am confused by the whole 24" rear wheel concept? What does it get you? Do you have to have a frame designed for a 24" wheel? Does your BB hit things when you ride along or corner? Excuse the ignorance.....jdcamb

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I don't get it either - I guess the 24" wheel is for his Kona - which isn't designed for a 24" wheel is it?

I think this thread should be made a sticky! :) :D :D

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
i dont know either, but common sense would say maybe stronger, and it drops the rear down, usually on park or DJ bikes. Or DS bikes where you are carving turns really hard downhill.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Echo said:
I'm not down with the 24" wheel thing, but why dis a bro's choice of ride?
Not dissing him. Just curious about the advantages or reasons for running them. is all.

Actually clancy98 a 26' wheel would roll over things easier and strike square edges at lower place in the circumference of the wheel then a 24" wheel so it would have to be stronger. That and it has a shorter spoke length then a 26" wheel (remember only 2 spokes actually hold up the wheel while it is rolling) and spokes absorb a lot of the impacts a wheel sustains so that load would be spread over a smaller area then a 26" wheel. So all the other components of the wheel would have to be stronger to make up for that. So it actually isn't common sense. Common sense to me is when you look both ways before crossing the street.....jdcamb

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
I understand the reasoning for a smaller dia. bigger rubber rear for a moto because of its name sake and the torque it can put out. But when you put so much rubber on a pedally bike, it's kinda ummm.. reverse reverse logic isn't it? I mean a 24x3.0 is HUGE, about the same size as a say... 26x2.4 ish...?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
If you put a 24 rear on a bike designed for a 26, you slacken the geometry and lower it just a bit, especially if you don't go for the huge rubber that Paully's talking about. It's also a stronger wheel, maybe a bit lighter depending on how you build it.

If you design a frame specifically for a 24" rear wheel, you can design it with shorter chainstays, making it easier to get the front end up and more manuverable, with a shorter overall wheelbase.

I don't like them as much as a 26"...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Echo said:
Try knocking a 20" wheel out of true sometime.
Comparing a 20" BMX wheel to a 24/26" Mountain bike wheel isn't really a valid comparison IMO. Since a BMX wheels typically have a higher spoke count and don't have to roll over things (like a rock garden) for the most part. Correct me if I am wrong but don't you typically ride a BMX bike in a more controlled situation like a park or on the street?? To me a BMX wheel takes most of the impact on a single contact patch and a mountain wheel will take loads not only on the contact patch but against the circumference of the wheel also. That and it has to be able to roll better as it inherently goes faster and needs to be able to accelerate and be better balanced due to the increased diameter.....jdcamb

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
With the coming of the 29" bike and a MTB history of 26/24 setups I am surprised that no one has built a 29/26 bike. Seems to me you'd get most of the 29" advantages with only half the drawbacks.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I'm sure landing spinning tricks (badly, anyhow) isn't nice to 20" wheels...they probably take a LOT of side loads in street/park riding and dirtjumping. BMX racing probably isn't too hard on them.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Westy said:
With the coming of the 29" bike and a MTB history of 26/24 setups I am surprised that no one has built a 29/26 bike. Seems to me you'd get most of the 29" advantages with only half the drawbacks.
Sideways was running his Endless (26/24 design) that way...29" Karate Monkey rigid fork with a 26" and a skiiiinnnyyy tire in back, pushed way back in the horizontals to allow it to fit.

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
Bunch of reasons why 24" wheels have come to freeride/DH scene. Its a mix of preference/riding style, and design limitations.
For example, To keep the chainstays of some suspension designs on certain "big" bikes (read 8inches & up out back) from being irregularly long (hindering cornering performance etc) and to accomodate the rear wheel travel, the 24" wheel can help to "fix" a design issue.
Or, some riders prefer the slow speed handling a smaller rear wheel has.

24" rear wheel conversation is bound to be another thing that's over analized and even "mocked" as being ridiculous by folks who simply dont understand it. It's just like when I try to explain road biking to the "dh crowd" I sometimes hang with...

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
jdcamb said:
Comparing a 20" BMX wheel to a 24/26" Mountain bike wheel isn't really a valid comparison IMO. Since a BMX wheels typically have a higher spoke count and don't have to roll over things (like a rock garden) for the most part. Correct me if I am wrong but don't you typically ride a BMX bike in a more controlled situation like a park or on the street?? To me a BMX wheel takes most of the impact on a single contact patch and a mountain wheel will take loads not only on the contact patch but against the circumference of the wheel also. That and it has to be able to roll better as it inherently goes faster and needs to be able to accelerate and be better balanced due to the increased diameter.....jdcamb
I am absolutely amazed that you don't understand why a 24" wheel is stronger than a 26".

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
MikeD said:
Sideways was running his Endless (26/24 design) that way...29" Karate Monkey rigid fork with a 26" and a skiiiinnnyyy tire in back, pushed way back in the horizontals to allow it to fit.
What happened to Sideways, kinda dropped of the :monkey:. I figured he'd shoot himself before putting a 26" on the back of one of his bikes?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Westy said:
What happened to Sideways, kinda dropped of the :monkey:. I figured he'd shoot himself before putting a 26" on the back of one of his bikes?
Dunno, maybe he's too busy making riding or making bikes, or the eternal debates got under his skin...

Guess he's just a fan of the big/small wheel concept, not the specific measurements. That thing looks like a hoot to ride, IMHO.

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
Smooth move on the tires... I used to run a King/arrow 24" on the rear on th BB7, but ditched it after a couple of rides. Im sure you can put them in the buy/sell section here and will be gone with the quickness... Maybe even faser on pinkbike.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Echo said:
I am absolutely amazed that you don't understand why a 24" wheel is stronger than a 26".
I do understand that a 24" wheel can be built stronger with less weight. So that advantage would be primarily strength to weight? The sacrifices would be that they don't roll as well and accelerate as fast. So a bike built with 24" wheels wouldn't be built to go fast. It would be for DJ and 4X right?

If say you run them to compensate for poor frame design IMO you bought the wrong frame it would seem.....jdcamb

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
jdcamb said:
I do understand that a 24" wheel can be built stronger with less weight. So that advantage would be primarily strength to weight? The sacrifices would be that they don't roll as well and accelerate as fast. So a bike built with 24" wheels wouldn't be built to go fast. It would be for DJ and 4X right?

If say you run them to compensate for poor frame design IMO you bought the wrong frame it would seem.....jdcamb
I don't run them. You've seen my bikes. Opeth is not a small mammal. A nice strong 24" wheel could be just the ticket if he's toasting wheels a lot.

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
jdcamb said:
He never said he was trying to qualify for the World Cup...
jeez

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
jdcamb said:
Insightful answer. Thanks. Care to elaborarte on the above?
I'll try my best. Handling is key with certain "freeride" situations. You know, real slow crawl type situations where you might be on top of a narrow log ride transitioning to, say a teeter, or whatever, all while possibly 6' and higher off the ground.
No real way to technically explain it, I've just felt it, Since this is usually only found on real heavy big bikes anyways, the need for control over "flickability" and such is tough with all that weight. 24" makes it a little easier, the acceleration feels tighter, the bike (for it's sheer mass and weight) feels a bit easier to manuever, etc. Enough to prefer the 24 over a 26. For reference, I was on a BigHit. That any help?

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Having tried bikes with a 26/24, I gotta say I didn't like it on the trails I ride- far too much contact between the BB and pedals with rocks. I did like how it slackened the H/A for steeper stuff, though.

Having tried bikes with a 24/24, I gotta say I hated it on the trails I ride- far too many supermans over the bars when the front wheel fell into holes or jammed up against rocks or steep logpiles. It ruled on urban riding, though.

I think a strong 36-spoked 29/26 setup would be great but for the fact that Marzocchi doesn't make a big suspension fork for 29s. Rigid is simply not an option on trails where you only occasionally get a glimpse of soil.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
llkoolkeg said:
Rigid is simply not an option on trails where you only occasionally get a glimpse of soil.
Unless you're really wierd...I know the trails where Sideways rides that thing (Pisgah) are hellaciously rocky and rooty.

24/24 setups are great for street riding...it's like a supermotard setup compared to a normal dirtbike. I agree with you on the trail performance, after stupidly running a 24/24 hardtail with 3.0 tires in my bike infancy.