Quantcast

OK, I guarantee none of you have seen a bike like this!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Talk about a chainline!

I saw this thing locked up in front of our university slop house, and stood there for quite a while looking at it and trying to figure it out. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to ride it. How would you get on it and stay up?

I think its the work of a guy who lives about a half mile from me, he makes some pretty wacky bikes over there. He makes a lot of double decker bikes, and as far as I can tell does it just because. I have never seen them for sale, just seen him and a few others riding around on them. I really want to introduce myself and talk to them!

Anyway, here is the "bike":

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
yes i have seen such things

theres a guy like that here. his tandem is the best!

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
Maybe You Rest Your Chest On The Seat, And Pedal With Your Legs Or Something Like That

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
There is a cat in knoxville who's got a similar contraption. fixed gear and a little different placement of cranks and seat, but the same idea. He built it to see if anyone could ride it, and no one yet.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
d.e.f. said:
There is a cat in knoxville who's got a similar contraption. fixed gear and a little different placement of cranks and seat, but the same idea. He built it to see if anyone could ride it, and no one yet.

Well, it was out in front of a school building, I would assume he rode it there.....I guess there are no sharp turns on the way!

splat

Nam I am
Intereting , It does look like the small wheel can pivot, I wonder if those to "arms Up up can fold out ? ther eis a Quick release clamp for something up there. It doesn't look like the derailer is used , so it mst be single speed, I also don't see and Brake lever or Brake cable.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
id like to see someone ride it. Every year I go to the NYC bike show.. and they have tons of "wierd" bikes. some have reverse steering, some you steer with the back end , and some the back end sways out while turning.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I can't believe it's locked to a tree. If it was my bike I'd leave it unlocked and sit in the bushes with a video cam hoping somebody would come by and try to steal it so I could tape the ensuing hilarity as they tried to figure out how to ride off with it.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
jdschall said:
I can't believe it's locked to a tree. If it was my bike I'd leave it unlocked and sit in the bushes with a video cam hoping somebody would come by and try to steal it so I could tape the ensuing hilarity as they tried to figure out how to ride off with it.

That would be AWESOME!

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
splat said:
I wonder if those to "arms Up up can fold out ? ther eis a Quick release clamp for something up there.

I think you are talking about a fork that is being used to hold the rear cassette.

Edit: looks like the quick release is just holding the steerer tube in the downtube.