Quantcast

OK, I really need some help with Photoshop

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I am making a poster, its 42in x 60in.

I have multiple other documents I want to go into thsi poster. When I open the documents, they come up as the right size (8.5x11, etc)

I marquee select the whole document, copy, and paste into the big one. why do they not come up in the big document as 8.5x11 or whatever the original size of the document is?

Sorry if this doenst make much sense, I've been working on this thing since like.... 7:00 LAST night, its now 10:21 am (I did sleep a little bit in there, but not much)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BigMike said:
Ooooh Crap! It has to do with Pixles doesnt it?!

I think I might have to start over...................:dead:
WTF?

Mike, take a deep breath here. Unless you've been screwing with your DPI, you're fine and there's probably something you're overlooking.

Make your 42x60 inch image and double check your measurements before clicking "New".

Open one of your 8.5x11 images, and go to resize to make sure it is, indeed, 8.5x11".

Make sure both images are being viewed at the same scale (i.e. your 42x60 image probably defaults to being viewed at 15% or somesuch in order to fit it on your screen - that might cause you to freak out when you paste your 8.5x11" image into it since it'll look like it shrunk).

Now see if it worked :D

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
dirtjumpP.1 said:
on the tool bar go to image then resize

But wont that resize my whole image??

What I've done, is take the file, open it in another photoshop document, and size it to what I want. In that document, select the whole thing, copy, and paste into the 42x60 document.

the stuff is not coming up as the right size in the 42x60 document. I think its because the pixle size. I was told in order to print this document and make it pretty and stuff, keep it at 300 px/inch. if the other documents are not 300 pixles/inch, that will screw the whole thing, correct?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BigMike said:
I was told in order to print this document and make it pretty and stuff, keep it at 300 px/inch. if the other documents are not 300 pixles/inch, that will screw the whole thing, correct?
Oops.

Yeah, that'll screw stuff up :o:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
binary visions said:
WTF?

Mike, take a deep breath here. Unless you've been screwing with your DPI, you're fine and there's probably something you're overlooking.

Make your 42x60 inch image and double check your measurements before clicking "New".

Open one of your 8.5x11 images, and go to resize to make sure it is, indeed, 8.5x11".

Make sure both images are being viewed at the same scale (i.e. your 42x60 image probably defaults to being viewed at 15% or somesuch in order to fit it on your screen - that might cause you to freak out when you paste your 8.5x11" image into it since it'll look like it shrunk).

Now see if it worked :D

Yeah, I did that. (and the 42x60) actually defaults to 3% to show on my screen :) ) But the 8.5x11 is HUGE on it, not small. I checked to make sure everything was right, and the sizes I thought, and its still not working.

The thing is, not all of the documents have the same DPI, which would cause them to be resized to the correct DPI in the file I am pasting them to. Correct?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Um, if the pics don't LOOK to be the right size, it might just be a visual thing. If the image you are copying is displayed at 100%, but you're pasting it into an image that's displayed at 33%, then the image will automatically "shrink" to the 33%. The image is not acutally changing though.

If the actual dimensions are changing, it might have to do with pixel resolution. If the original and the poster are not the same resolution (72dpi, 200dip, whatever), it could screw with things.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
OK, so that brings me to my next question...... How can I make everything I have to use 300 px/in without making them HUUUGE?

I'm off to class until 4, If you can help, please let me know, i'll be back to work on this at 4

Thank you all in advance.

(by the way, this is the biggest file i've ever worked with, and my computer is not happy saving a file thats over a gig :dead: )

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BigMike said:
Yeah, I did that. (and the 42x60) actually defaults to 3% to show on my screen :) ) But the 8.5x11 is HUGE on it, not small. I checked to make sure everything was right, and the sizes I thought, and its still not working.

The thing is, not all of the documents have the same DPI, which would cause them to be resized to the correct DPI in the file I am pasting them to. Correct?
I don't know why the 8.5x11 would be huge on it - if it's smaller than 300dpi, it should be much smaller.

When you paste, it doesn't change the DPI of the image you're pasting in. It puts it in as "actual size", which if your original image is 72dpi, will be tiny, or your original image is 600dpi, will be huge.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
BigMike said:
It has to do with Pixles doesnt it?
Yep. Really though, Photoshop is an imaging program, not a layout program. Of course I dont know exactly what you are doing, but you said poster so I assume it is to be printed. Make sure you follow a few simple guidelines: Type under 12 pt is usually pretty risky to use in Photoshop unless resolution is 266 + and even then it is not reccomended (find out what it is by going to IMAGE/IMAGE SIZE). You can probably get away with it on some kinkos job with laser printer or maybe a high qhality ink jet like an Epson 5000 or something similar. But if you are going to press with this thing steer clear of using anything but really large type in raster programs like Photoshop. Photoshop is a support program for layout programs, not the other way around. Text is best left to Quark & Illustrator type programs.

As for the pasting documents into Photoshop... if you must just make sure that the program you are cutting from is outputting the image at the same resolution as the document you are pasting into (i.e. what you have your PS document set at). Cutting and pasting is not always the thing to do in this situation. You want CONTROL over you resolution so its usually best to save the document as an EPS or maybe a PSD if you dont have that option... when you export it from whatever program you are using make sure you go into the settings as you save it to check and make sure it is exporting at the resolution you want. Hell, you may not even get many options so if you only get a few make sure you choose one that is 266 or above. When you are done saving the file just open it with PS and size it as you see fit, if the resolutions matched up perfectly then you most likely wont have to.

Good luck.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
150 dpi is standard for poster prints (anything over 12 x 17 )

are you trying to paste a .doc into a photoshop doc?

my advice is to keep all text as vector and you can resize all day long without resolution problems.

i'm still having a hard time figuring out what you are trying to do.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
if are wanting to put a paragraph or whatever from the doc. it may be simpler to highlight the text, copy to clipboard - go to Photoshop use the text tool and paste the clipboard as new text into photoshop, which now has limited and crappy vector capability.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
DVNT said:
150 dpi is standard for poster prints (anything over 12 x 17)
This is only true if you are working with laser printers, color copiers, and ink jets and even still some really good ones like a Phaser or a high end Epson can do batter than 150. Real presses on the other hand reach MUCH higher, and theres nothing worse than lowrez artwork thats been interpolated at the press to match printer spec that comes out all blurry and dirty, :blah:.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
i was assuming it is a poster print for a presentation.
every print shop and their mother seem to be using large format epsons these days.

every do any design for billboards?

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
pretty funny how i don't mind talking about work just not DOING anywork today. :think: :devil:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
DVNT said:
I once did 2000+sq.ft. of design wallpaper for a tradeshow. We had 8 walls that were about 12' high and 15' wide.

I had to design each wall as one piece, I think 50dpi at 100%. Break it down into 4'x8' panels. Took each panel into Genuine Fractals -- which did an impressive job of bumping up the res to 150dpi.

That was a neat project.

EDIT: I dig your sig.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Hey, thanks for all the responses.

Let me try and clarify what I am trying to do a bit.

I am a lighting designer. I have a competition in Florida next week that I am flying to. I have to present my show on somthing no larger than 4'x6' and no more than one inch thick. I already prepared a really nice presentation, but found out it is not going to work for this competition (it will for the next) because of a technicallity. I was going to make a new one on foamcore, with old fashioned print out the pictures cut and paste (or photomount). I then ran into the problem of getting it to Florida. It would be ass expensive to ship, I dont want to check it on the plane because they would break it, and I cant do a 4'x6' as a carry on.

I approached the graphic designer at my school, and she said to do it on a poster, have it printed, and laminate it. That is what I am doing. I talked to her a bit about how to go about it, but I do not have Illustrator. All I have is Photoshop CS 8. She said its totally doable in PS, but its not as easy as Illustrator.

On this "poster" I have pictures from my Digital Camera, Photoshop designed text and stuff, and a plot exported out of VectorWorks. I want to make it all nice and pretty and fit together, and I have to have it to Kinko's by tomorrow afternoon to get it by Monday afternoon so I can fly out Tuesday at 6am.

That is where I stand.

Hope that helps you understand a bit more

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
DVNT said:
i was assuming it is a poster print for a presentation.
every print shop and their mother seem to be using large format epsons these days.
You are speaking to me no?

Yeah, Epsons are good slow but high quality printers. We tested our 5000 a few years back and It showed improvement all the way up to just above 220 dpi, after that you couldnt really tell much of a difference... I know those things advertise as having something crazy like 4200 dpi, but that just a load of crap.

Yeah I've done 10-15 billboards in my career so far, I drive by one of them every day (billboards kinda come with the territory), though I dont do them very often. I designed most of them while I was at Idea Design Group which was an ad agency I worked at from about 99-01.