Quantcast

ok... I'm an ass...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
*possible darwin award nominee*

Some of you know that I've complained about my X9 triggers because I was unable to rip through more than 1 gear at a time - i.e. 1 thumb push changed 1 gear.

Well, my bike has been out of comission for a couple of weeks due to damaged wheels, so I've been doing a lot of tinkering to stave off bordem. I changed my cable and re-routed the r/d cable. When I was dialing in the shifting, I noticed I could get through 3 gears with one thumb push.

Well, last night I rode around in my yard a bit (on a backup set of wheels) and, among other things, tried to get though 3 gears at a time. When I thought about it, I was able to do it, but I had to consciencely push the trigger all the way.

I can't imagine that changing the cable routing had any real impact on anything, so for as much as I hate to say it... I think my problem was that my triggers were rotated too far under the bars... so I couldn't "reach" with my thumb far enough to get through more than 1 gear.

yea, I'm an idiot.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Thats funny because I've been noticing I can fly thru gears and I've been wondering WTF you were talking about....

J

JRB

edit - I just saw stosh's pic thread and I feel bad that right now, he seems smarter than you, jackson. ;)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I Are Baboon said:
I took MMcG's Hollowpoint onto our front yard yesterday and MtnBikerChk yelled at me.
why?

This isn't going to end up having to do with your haircut appointment is it?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
We do as little lawn maintenance as possible...it's too easily blown off for biking :D Our neighbors have nice lush lawns and ours is mostly sandy. We don't care to spend a ton of $ having better topsoil brought in, fertilized, seeded, weeded, etc. We'd rather ride!

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
TreeSaw said:
We do as little lawn maintenance as possible...it's too easily blown off for biking :D Our neighbors have nice lush lawns and ours is mostly sandy. We don't care to spend a ton of $ having better topsoil brought in, fertilized, seeded, weeded, etc. We'd rather ride!
The people we bought the house from were old and retired. The guy spent all day in the yard. The grounds look liked a park when we moved in. Give me two years and I'll have it looking like hell. :thumb:

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
My dumbass move:

A few years back I had built up an old(er) San Andreas with some extra parts I had. It actually turned out okay, psylo race, decent v's, truvativ huss and box guide, but the drivetrain was a mix-and-match. Anyway, I took it for a couple rides as it was. During the ride I could've sworn that I was bottoming the suspension on every other hit, there was a huge knock, it felt horrible. So I get back to the apartment and have my friend check it out. He's like, "Dude, you might want to add about 2 or 3 inches to your chain."

What did I do? Added a few links to the chain and rode the bike.