Quantcast

Ok Just for Begginers Info

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
The guy who sets up a Bike stand, has a table, An EZup, couple box's of tubes near the bike racks at teh Triatholons....... DOESNT CHARGE FOR REPAIRS!!!!!! I cannot belive how many people today skipped service because they thought they had to pay us. But then again afterwards they heard and got some freebies anyways. I think I totalled out about two bills worth or tubes, chains, and tires today. Good day down here in SOcal for a race!!!!!

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
dang dirty ,why didn't you tell me you guys weren't charging for repairs ? i would have brought my boxxer forks down so you could of rebuilt it and my road bike down so you could of tuned it up.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Count yourself lucky. We don't charge at those things, but I also think it's ridiculous when grown people can't air their own f*#king tires up just because we are there.

Newsflash - it's to help people that need it, not to be someone's bitch because they are lazy.

Second newsflash - while I don't think it should cost more because of convenience, I am damn sure not discounting it because you have it at home but were too f*#king stupid to bring it with you to the event.

There - my nerve has been touched.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
dang dirty ,why didn't you tell me you guys weren't charging for repairs ? i would have brought my boxxer forks down so you could of rebuilt it and my road bike down so you could of tuned it up.
Oh come on Mike, you already know you can bring me your road bike anytime you want a freebie tune up, and your boxxer as well. Its not like its hard to rebuild a boxxer!!!!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
How 'bout donating a set of wheels so I can finish a bike for a kid who can't afford one?
Actually I had three sets with me today, Open pros on Ultegra hubs, 2 of them, one was campy. Not for donation, but for loaning if you have a major problem right before the start, I had three cassette to go with the wheelsets also, 9sp shimano 10 sp shimao, and 10 sp campy.

Oh yeah, they were all also ready to go with Diamonte pro tires as well

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Actually I had three sets with me today, Open pros on Ultegra hubs, 2 of them, one was campy. Not for donation, but for loaning if you have a major problem right before the start, I had three cassette to go with the wheelsets also, 9sp shimano 10 sp shimao, and 10 sp campy.
Was this to promote a shop? if so I understand. If not, WTF?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I remember one triathlon I agreed to mechanic at. I suggested I set up near registration. They threw me down deep in the vendor section about a quarter mile away, despite telling them I am here for mechanical support. Also the shop investor flaked out with the tent and the signage, so I had to work in the drizzle.

I sat there quietly (I also had a crit 4 hours later which I raced), until a few people realized there was a mechanic on duty. About 20 minutes before the race started, they announce on the PA that there is a mechanic on duty.

A bunch of people ran down to use my pump and other minor repairs but it was too late then.

If I went to a road race, they would have put me next to the official's table or near the start/finish, so riders could use my services.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
If you seriously ride a rode bike, why would you need a lemonade stand that hands out wheels and chains?
1. Sell stuff at the event.
2. Good publicity for shop.
3. It is a nice thing to help the cycling community.

I was a mechanic and a coach for a Nor Cal HS mountain bike team, and I didn't get a dime for doing it. I did bring in several racers and parents to the shop (3 of them bought bikes), and I bet a lot of kids are happy I helped out. And I am glad I did it.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
If you seriously ride a roadie bike, why would you need a lemonade stand that hands out wheels and chains?
The free support is 1, yes, to Promote your shop. Belive me, I didnt take my personal stuff down for people to have. 2, tohelp the cycling community. Imagine being at a race/event, and you clip a pothole, ruin a wheel. Your out. But hey there is a shop there giving support and happened to bring loaner wheels!!!! You leave your broken/damaged product, and your Drivers license and your off for a race!!!!