Quantcast

Ok let's here all about Beacon!

TurkeyJerkey

Chimp
Aug 8, 2002
WA
For those of you lucky folks out there who went please give me some feedback....iam not haten, but danm i would have like to have gone.

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
cool course... im basically crippled tho! the course was smooth if you ran clean, but had consequences of you didnt. had a great time tho!:thumb:

i had a few nice clean fast runs in practice, satisfaction enough for me:D

btw.... anyone else have major respiritory problems? or was it just me cuz i spent to much time with my face in the dirt? i cant stop coughing from all the dust.

frizanko

Monkey
Jan 29, 2004
Bend, OR
Practice on Saturday was super fun. I forced myself to ride through a shoulder injury and prolly came away worse for it, but the runs I did manage to get were a blast.The course was showing signs of abuse Sunday morning though.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
the course kicked ass! the doubles at the bottom were a ton of fun. and like sebring said, if you didnt stay focused you could easily be in a world of hurt. i saw some knarly wrecks.

and as for the dust, i'm still pulling black boogers out.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Hiya everyone...glad to hear the race was fun....maybe I'll make it to one sometime this year ;). I meant to go to this one...but plans keep getting in the way! I'm aiming for chelan next ... (okay okay, I'm lyin....afraid to death of the course that broke my ribs last year :p that and I haven't been a ridin much lately...anyone wanna go ride one of these days?)

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Had a great time again. The best part of racing is hanging out with your team, all the friends you've made along the way. The attitude at this race was really positive. Practice didnt start to late, shuttles ran later in the night, although we hiked mostly instead of shuttling. The "sorry for the last race" bbq was a nice gesture.....I shoulda waited till I was done practicing though to eat..... the course was blazing fast.

My times this year improved a little. Theres always a reason why you coulda done better...... In run 1 i sucked a stick in between my cassette and spokes causing my freeweel not to work right, and also made the chain skip. I basically coasted the last section after the rock drop/new roll. I was pedalling, but wasnt getting any power I didnt know till I got to the end the stick was there. I thought maybe my hub failed, or skipped the chain in the front. So after that i got 1:58.5 (the same as last years fastest run.) Run 2 i washed out after the steep rock waterfall before the trees into the stepup. I came to a complete stop after skidding a huge cloud of dust up. I think derek was there and I hope he got a sequence of it...although he might have been running to save his camera I gave the spectators a good scare and sent them running. My run 2 was .9 seconds slower, but thats after having to actually stop to get re orientated after my bobble. My combined time was under 4:00 compared to last years time of 4:04:02. Maybe next year ill have better luck.

Great to meet some of the new RM folks out there. Hope all those who got hurt are doing ok. I saw Rhino in the tent and heard about Kai. We had a few scraped guys on out team but nothing that serious.

Even though i diskile the winthrop venue im looking forward to doing it all again in 3 weeks!

D

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
Originally posted by HippieKai
broke my wrist:dead:
no riding for 6 weeks:(
so lots of beer and painils till then

Doh! Kai, that sucks man. :( sorry to hear that. what part of the course did it happen on? How's the bike? last year on that course wasn't good for your bike... not good at all.

hope you heal up quick and are back out there in no time. :thumb:

i want to ride my bike

Awesome course. It required real speed management. There were spots the required some horsepower and speed, if you spent it early you were screwed. I spoent a lot of time trying to dial all the drops and jumps and get a handle the flow, late saturday I finally nailed a good clean run over everything.

Both race runs were smooth and clean, I was happy. The Super Vet class is very competitive this year!!!!! After the first run I was in 4th with 5th, 6th, and 7th within 1 second!! NO pressure!:eek:

I managed to hold off the others in the second run and held onto the 4th spot.

Good times, good times.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Originally posted by brock
Was "the jump" in the course?
the lip was taken down so it was long and low. I still didnt hit it correct. I needed to pause in practice to watch somone really hit it at speed. Im sure the stretcher would have been busy there id the original jump was there. Oh, and there was also a nice sized stump in the landing zone.

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
Originally posted by DHRacer
Doh! Kai, that sucks man. :( sorry to hear that. what part of the course did it happen on? How's the bike? last year on that course wasn't good for your bike... not good at all.
i slaped the berm to berm that ate me last year and called it my biotch!
this crash was on the bumpy rock fall section right up before the rockgarden berm of death. There is like the 3 rocks you go down and i had done it fine 6 times but on my 7th practice i did a look back off of the top and stuffed my wheel into the second rock and landed with my wrist between my chest and the earth on top of the third rock then slid down to the bottom. Then i got up and did the last little drop and the doublles then my wrist started to tell me to fvck off:monkey:

this crash was on the bumpy rock fall section right up before the rockgarden berm of death. There is like the 3 rocks you go down and i had done it fine 6 times but on my 7th practice i did a look back off of the top and stuffed my wheel into the second rock and landed with my wrist between my chest and the earth on top of the third rock then slid down to the bottom. Then i got up and did the last little drop and the doublles then my wrist started to tell me to fvck off:monkey:
Nice illustration! Reminds me of a slinky.;)

Sorry about the wrist, hope it heals fast. Good luck.

HippieKai

Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
Originally posted by PsychO!1
Nice illustration! Reminds me of a slinky.;)

Sorry about the wrist, hope it heals fast. Good luck.
Thanks man, i'm going to try and heal as fast as is possible!
and slinky! i wish
then maybe i wouldn't have a cast and this BIG bruse on my chest.:D

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Slow first run....just never felt "it" (comfortable) last weekend. I was actually looking forward to the second run. I was positive and looking for a no preasure run ging faster than my first....until a slow speed bobble over the rock exiting the corner after the step down on top of the course left me with a.....

Dislocated Shoulder :rolleyes:

My first ever. No pain meds at the hospital with they put it back and the nurses called me a stud. :) Kai can vouch on that one. I was so focused on my shoulder that I thought stud was an abbreviation for the type of dislocation I had...you know hospital code....

I heard "I think this guy is a stud. :think:ing that was a type of Dislocation
After it was reset I hear "I told you this guy was a stud" Ohhhh then it hits me.

My feet did levitate off the bed and I did try to kind of sit up but I was just startled by the sensation. It hurt less that it being out of the socket....live an learn.

Freak and VG helped me get my limp arse home. I slept in Freaks truck while VG drove my truck back. You guys were great. A big thank you for taking the time to get this gimp home by 1:30 this morning.

I drove my 5sp truck into work this morning (about an hour late) Now it is backto paying off medical bills.......

Rhino

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
That jump was on my s**t list as well and damn it was such a great feeling to clear it this year!!!

(It was also very cool that they built up the frontside of the landing so if you came up a tad short, you weren't destroying your wheel!!! Luckily though, I only came up a tad short only once and would have still been ok without the new stuff :D :D :D but it was a nice reassuring feeling to have it there just in case!)

Kai and Kevin...hope you're both feeling better soon!

Mitzel123

Crash Test Dummy
Feb 9, 2002
well i had a fricken blast there. this was the first time i was able to ride this course and it was rad, i really enjoyed it. but anyways, here are some pics hippiekai took wit my camera. . .Click Here for Pics!!!

more to come later

derekpearson

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Sorry about the injuries you guys:(
Nice to meet you as well kai and chat a bit with you kevin! Freaks mother in law is cool:cool: THanks to all who came up and introduced yourselves! and to the guys riding by who yelled HEY DEREK! who I dont even know who they were, haha that was cool :D
Saw lots of impressive riding and lots of crashes!! Got it all on film of course :)

Rode over with PsyCHo Mike. It was interesting. On our way to meet at 330 am saturday morning we both got pulled over, so we were both late for the meeting. Then we were given horrible directions to Round Table Pizza Saturday night and ended up driving around for about and hour. Found it and then got even worse driving directions to the motel and killed another hour or so taking the tour of downtown spokane:dead: Then on the drive home we got egged standing in the park and ride haha.

Oh yeah and whoever stole my sample shot of Leana Gerard off my advertising sign... shame on you:mad:

HippieKai

Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
Originally posted by derekpearson
and to the guys riding by who yelled HEY DEREK! who I dont even know who they were, haha that was cool :D
haha
one of those was me!:D

before i broke myself:(
damn i hate this........and typing with one hand sucks:mad:

HippieKai

Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
a few shots just to get them started.
since i was broke i used mitzels cam to snap a few
here is Mitzel123 over the first double

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by oly
i like that angle on the jump. Different perspective.
Yeah Oly I noticed that too.

Kai.....how tall are you? :D Look like you were in a tree or something. :) Standing on a log? :confused: It looks like you are taking that picture from up in the air.

HippieKai

Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
Originally posted by RhinofromWA
Yeah Oly I noticed that too.

Kai.....how tall are you? :D Look like you were in a tree or something. :) Standing on a log? :confused: It looks like you are taking that picture from up in the air.
i was standing on a small log with the camara held up....i didn't think it was going to work but it turned out cool.

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
Originally posted by RhinofromWA

Freak and VG helped me get my limp arse home. I slept in Freaks truck while VG drove my truck back. You guys were great. A big thank you for taking the time to get this gimp home by 1:30 this morning.

I drove my 5sp truck into work this morning (about an hour late) Now it is backto paying off medical bills.......

Rhino

wait a minute... crashing, shoulder, ER, freak and VG driving you home.... this is starting to sound ALL TOO FAMILIAR! :eek:

Dang Rhino, that sucks... you and Kia, man... that course is definitely taking it's toll on the RDR peeps.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Freak and VG for being the best friends EVER!!! What more can I say? they don't come any better than those two. :)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by DHRacer
wait a minute... crashing, shoulder, ER, freak and VG driving you home.... this is starting to sound ALL TOO FAMILIAR! :eek:

Dang Rhino, that sucks... you and Kia, man... that course is definitely taking it's toll on the RDR peeps.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Freak and VG for being the best friends EVER!!! What more can I say? they don't come any better than those two. :)
Yeah my crash was a stupid 2mph crash...er I was flying and forgot there was this drop yeah that is it. ;)

Nothing spectacular. I was disgusted that I hurt myself again. Stupid fall. :) I think we should ask for a volume discount at the ER next time.......lol I was in the hospital maybe an hour. and then sent packing. I am sore this morning but am out of the sling to work or drive.

I have taken 2 extra strength Tylenol (last night on the ride home) and 1 Alleve this morning. They don't seem to help much. :( They never do. I will probably skip anymore pain meds unless I can't sleep but I survived last night......

I really didn't see the big deal about resetting the shoulder....it hurt much worse just being out. I hear people get put under for it....it was scary when it really moved and fell in...but I was more startled then in pain.

Rhino "scaredy cat" from WA

Hey Rhino...

I've gone through the shoulder dislocation and my advise is wear the sling and do EVERYTHING the doctor's tell you, go through physical therapy if you can.

When a shoulder is dislocated, especially for a long period of time, there is extensive damage to the tendons that hold shoulder in place. If they don't heal properly, the dislocation will be more likley to happen again....and easier.

Mine came out about 20 times in 10 years. It got to the point it came out reaching for a beer!!!! Even came out in my sleep once, that's when I decided it was time for surgery.

I'm no doctor, just my experience.

By the way, my first dislocation was very similar to your experience. It was out for about 3 hours before it was put back in at the ER.
A lot of tendon damage is done in that time.

HippieKai

Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
i just tried to wrench on a bike (thats what i do for $$$) and it's a no-go:(
so now i'm off the bike and out of work....this sucks!

crash13

Chimp
Dec 19, 2003
Lake Stevens, WA
i had a great time at beacon. i didn't crash and i got pretty good times.

sorry about your injuries kai and kevin. hope u get well soon. nice pictures kai!

I'd like to thank the Round and Round crew. They did an awesome job at this race. They managed to squeeze in a free BBQ, Plenty of practice time, race re-runs for a few that had timing errors from the blast-off, blast-off awards, and of course the Bomber race and awards, all with out a hitch. (at least it appeared smooth as silk to me.)
The timing was great, results were quick. They had the expert final results up before I could grab finish my run, grab a beer and get back.

Great job, thanks.