Quantcast

Ok, looking for your opinions...

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
I've got a Trek 4500D and I'm looking for a few opinions:

I'm looking at clipless pedals, for sure, to keep myself on the bike when doing a few wild bits out on the trail. But I'm also looking for a nice smooth rear and front derailleur and a set of hydrolic discs (the cable operated discs are ok, but I love the buttery smoothness of the hydrolics).

For the rear derailleur I'm looking at the Shimano Deore LX.
For the brakes I'm thinking of Hayes Nine hydrolics.
As for the front derailleur, I'm not sure at all....the stock Shimano isn't bad, but just not entirely smooth enough for my taste.

Anything else you folks recommend?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
My old LX gear shifts as smooth as my new srams stuff does... it's all about having things dialed properly. I would think LX triggers, LX front, XT rear would be a good setup without breaking the bank.

For brakes, any of your main stream hydros will be fine. Avid mechs are also good.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
yes, derailleurs are the same... cassette and shifters are different, as is the chain. 8 speed is fine for most people... I still run it on one of my bikes.

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
they only make 9 speed derailleurs so use a 9 speed chain on eithet the 8/9 shifter.
You will notice little diference in deore/lx/xt but the XTR will make a huge change in clean and crisp shifting. I think my shimano 959s are the real deal. I have never touched them in3 years and they shed mud well and never need anything. They have never clicked or snapped and engaging is exact.
The 8 speed cassettes have large gaps that make for unsmooth shifts.

check out the 9 speed upgrade kits. The sram XO kit is abot $250. I bought a shimano kit a couple years ago and it included both rear mechs and shifters and a chain.The entire package was $230.CDN