Quantcast

Ok Monkeys, Need serious help with planning Cross Country Mtb TRip

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Ok well its official my friend and I just decided that we will be packing up the GTI with our xc and street rigs and hitting the road on October 9th. We are from the Pittsburgh area and are looking to take a cross country road trip all the way out to so cal, hitting all the good spots along the way. As it stands i have a place to stay in Vale, Arizona, and a couple in SO cal. The plan is to make a bonsai run out to Denver and then let the riding begin! :evil:

So my question for you is with that route planned i was wondering what the good spots are to hit around those areas? I have spent some time in summit county (frisco area) but that was skiing not riding (im sure there has to be great riding there), but not much anywhere else out west. We plan on hitting Moab as well...Just need some input on finding the hidden gems! Let me know what to shred!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
manhattanprjkt83 said:
<snip>
So my question for you is with that route planned i was wondering what the good spots are to hit around those areas? I have spent some time in summit county (frisco area) but that was skiing not riding (im sure there has to be great riding there), but not much anywhere else out west. We plan on hitting Moab as well...Just need some input on finding the hidden gems! Let me know what to shred!
Front Range will probably be in prime season at that time. Mountains may or may not be finished for the season due to snow. If it's sketchy in the high country I'd recommend two "semi-high country" locations that would be good stops: Salida, CO and Gunnison, CO (Hartman's Rocks).

Then head west/northwest to Fruita. Then Moab. Then SW to the Virgin, UT area. Maybe hit up the stellar looking trails around Bryce Canyon. Then S. to Sedona, AZ. Top-notch riding around there, too. For the hot part of AZ I cannot comment.

-S.S.-

P.S. I neglected to mention - please don't "shred" anything when you come out. Stay on the trail, don't skid, and watch/be considerate of other users. Keep the singletrack "single."

Oh - and that's hunting season, so bring your bright orange helmets. :D

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
SkaredShtles said:
P.S. I neglected to mention - please don't "shred" anything when you come out. Stay on the trail, don't skid, and watch/be considerate of other users. Keep the singletrack "single."
:think: always bro

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
My suggestions......hit Keystone or Vail (both! :D ) then Fruita (a must) then moab & after Moab you can make your way to Las Vegas & hit gooseberry mesa & brian head on the way. once in vegas, well boulder city, you can ride bootleg canyon. Sounds fun, I am jealous.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
TN said:
My suggestions......hit Keystone or Vail
Mid-october is actually when they usually start making snow (Keystone usually tries to open mid- to late-October), so Keystone and Vail are probably too high to be considered do-able........

Although there is low(er) elevation stuff in Summit & Eagle Counties. I just wouldn't count on 'em..........

-S.S.-

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
SkaredShtles said:
Mid-october is actually when they usually start making snow (Keystone usually tries to open mid- to late-October), so Keystone and Vail are probably too high to be considered do-able........

Although there is low(er) elevation stuff in Summit & Eagle Counties. I just wouldn't count on 'em..........

-S.S.-
wow I had no idea that they started making snow that early :dead:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
manhattanprjkt83 said:
wow I had no idea that they started making snow that early :dead:
About three years ago a buddy and I went down to Wolf Creek the 1st weekend in November and got to ski 36" of fresh pow in 24 hours. It can come early and it can come deep.............. :D :D :D :D

I can't friggin' WAIT!!

-S.S.-

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
We've got some crazy mad xc trails here around Denver, but you'll definitely want to bring your climbing legs with you. Although, for visiting flatlanders, I'd be willing to do some shutting on some trails just so you can get a taste of what front range xc is all about. Any Denverites know how far of a drive it is from the lower lot of Mt Falcon to the upper lot?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yeah i always hear about "front range" stuff, saw some pics a couple of weeks back that look awesome, now are we talking boulder area?

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
pixelninja said:
Any Denverites know how far of a drive it is from the lower lot of Mt Falcon to the upper lot?
It's about 10-15 minutes if you go south to 285 and then head north on Parmalee Gulch road instead of coming in from Kittredge. Another fun shuttle run for flatlanders would be the top of Windy Saddle. (not that I've ever shuttled front range trails.... :nope: :evil: )

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
manhattanprjkt83 said:
yeah i always hear about "front range" stuff, saw some pics a couple of weeks back that look awesome, now are we talking boulder area?
Boulder is only 20-30 minutes from Denver. If you click my user name, then selelct "Find all threads started by pixelninja" it'll list a few threads I've started with pics of around here.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Nope. This is all Denver. The people's republic of Boulder has deemed that mountain bikes hurt the karma of trails, so they don't allow it. So, Boulder comes to Denver to ride.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Morryjg said:
Nope. This is all Denver. The people's republic of Boulder has deemed that mountain bikes hurt the karma of trails, so they don't allow it. So, Boulder comes to Denver to ride.
HA!

Boulder: 25 square miles surrounded by reality...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
For real you cant ride at all in boulder? Weird, pixelninja you were the one whos pics i saw before trails look killer, damn i cant wait to go out and ride some of the western stuff...When i was out there on my skis all i could think about was how bitching the trails had to be...