Quantcast

OK, my new XC build (Wow, an MTB thread, imagine that! :p )

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
In the need for more saddle time on my DH bike, I have decided to build up an XC rig. I decided for a couple of reasons. The first being is the cardio and weight loss.

The second is the need for saddle time. I have not ridden for a couple of years until last year, exactly one year ago today, so, I need more saddle time.

The third reason is that there are an awful lot of awesome trails around the Richmond area, thereby making this whole project worthwhile.

I had a lot of help with this bike from BigMike, G-Spot, Dartman, The Captian, VTMtbkr and Goodly's Bike shop in Richmond.

Without their help I could not have done this.

So, I built up an old Mongoose Pro TI hard-tail, Mavic XC517 rims with XTR hubs, an '00 Marzocchi Z2, Deore drive-train and XTR cranks to name a few...

All I have left to do is the derailleur cables and set those up.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
if you haven't had much saddle time like you said, i would anticipate, given the number of (cough, cough) calendars under your belt, that you are going to have a sore lower back. having said that, do yourself a favor and get a suspension seatpost. naysayers be damned, i swear by them, i use the USE XCR Alien, and swear by it. they go on every hardtail ive ever had since 95 and i won't ride one without them. my fat a$$ sits down as much as possible, and i only stand when i absolutely have to, so my lower back takes a beating. perhaps it might not be as bad on you since you've got a TI bike, but i'd still highly recomend one.
etiher way, sweet rig and look forward to the ride report.

if'n yer just up r'mond way, yer definitely gonna have to make it down here once i get my lil piece o heaven cut. :drool: its gonna happen this fall when its not stupid hot and buggy.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Dude, this bike is fast, REAL responsive and limber. As with any Marzocchi, even a 3" fork saved my as a couple of times on a fun course. I launched a few roots, 4-6 inches and got it airborne. I swear the bike was gonna float away into the stratosphere. A bit different than a full squish, but the Ti frame helps take the sharpness off the harder hits.

Fun, plain fun!