Quantcast

Ok need banking help....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
N8 said:
..and you'll pay a hefty monthly PMI payment until you hit the 20% mark... right?
It's not bad thru the first time buyers program... minimal PMI comared to most but if I did the supposed 0 down I would.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
SkaredShtles said:
Well, it *is* Bank of America.........

They don't make all that money by giving it away in interest to its depositors..... :D

-S.S.-
But why would standard savings (and even my checking account) be at a higher rate of return than a money market...? I guess BofA offers limited checking services with a money market, but still...is it just a current interest rate thing?

MD

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
stosh said:
How's that work exactly?
When it comes time to shop for a mortgage, just let the bank or mortgage company or whoever you are using that you are interested in a 2nd loan for the cost minus your down payment. The rate is usually higher than your primary loan, but it beats paying PMI.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I Are Baboon said:
When it comes time to shop for a mortgage, just let the bank or mortgage company or whoever you are using that you are interested in a 2nd loan for the cost minus your down payment. The rate is usually higher than your primary loan, but it beats paying PMI.
Ok sounds good!

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
stosh said:
I'm saving money in my savings account with like .0000001% interest which isn't the greatest.

I want to save like $10k+ what is the best type of savings account for me to do this with.
I made a quick little spreadsheet that automatically calculates your monthly balances based on different interest rates and monthly contributions.... *ok, Im a nerd.... PM me with your email adress if you want it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I Are Baboon said:

did you have to pay any points or related closing costs for the 2nd loan too? the typical PMI seems to be between a half and one percent, so i guess you have to run the numbers and see what's better.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
did you have to pay any points or related closing costs for the 2nd loan too? the typical PMI seems to be between a half and one percent, so i guess you have to run the numbers and see what's better.
Generally the second is originated for a fairly nominal fee.

Well, it's nominal WRT the mortgage amount. :D

-S.S.-

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
narlus said:
Like Shuttles said, we just had your basic fees for the 2nd loan (I can not remember how much exactly...maybe $300?). There were no points involved.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I Are Baboon said:
Like Shuttles said, we just had your basic fees for the 2nd loan (I can not remember how much exactly...maybe $300?). There were no points involved.
awesome!!!!

THis is great advice...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:

Some companies will do a 'one-time' closing for both loans.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I Are Baboon said:
:thumb:

MtnBikerChk is a mountain of information on exactly how our mortgage worked, so hopefully she'll chime in tonight (she's too busy at work to post).
Ok cool! I won't be around till tomorrow afternoon so I'll check this thread again.