Quantcast

OK, Nerds, Layman’s Explanation? (Looking At You, Westy)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sounds like an effective means of extracting additional monetary volume from goobers.

Would be a little more convincing if their demonstration video wasn't a computer simulation.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Sounds like an effective means of extracting additional monetary volume from goobers.

Would be a little more convincing if their demonstration video wasn't a computer simulation.
I get the impression plenty mountain bike enthusiasts do the majority of their biking from their computer ;)

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
man if only we had something that could duplicate a coil

oh well!
If I have 30% sag with a coil it’s all good. The problem is after I eat 2 cheeseburgers, 3 hot dogs and slam 4 ipa’s I’m not getting that 30% anymore. Real world problems right there.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
are you running a 900lb coil?
I had a bike once that needed a 1000lb coil for my (then) 65kg (150mm travel from 40mm shock). It used to break the Pac-Man spring retainer thing non-stop and had everything maxxed out. 16 year old toodles probably should have put the bike in a shorter travel setting, but genuinely thought more travel was always the best option.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I had a bike once that needed a 1000lb coil for my (then) 65kg (150mm travel from 40mm shock). It used to break the Pac-Man spring retainer thing non-stop and had everything maxxed out. 16 year old toodles probably should have put the bike in a shorter travel setting, but genuinely thought more travel was always the best option.
RM9?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The marketing department would like to speak to you about how your science based arguments have no place here. Your shock pump gets hot and that is clearly the exact same thing as an air spring.
Most things get hot when I stroke them. I should make a Wikipedia submission based on that.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hmmm....maybe I’ll invent a battery charger that runs on fork and shock created heat.
kickstarter, anyone?

Google adiabatic process

Actually the damper does convert kinetic energy into heat, could slap on a Peltier generator and make microwatts of electricity!

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Does anyone actually go to a spring just for the linearity or do the do it for the reduced stiction?

I'm waiting for the bike industry to discover these. Hyperco played around with them on cars for a little bit before dropping them. You can make a linear, progressive, even digressive spring with them. And just keep an extra washer or two in your pack and you can throw one on after the 2 burgers, 4 dogs, and a 6 pack of ipas to get back to 30% sag.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Does anyone actually go to a spring just for the linearity or do the do it for the reduced stiction?

I'm waiting for the bike industry to discover these. Hyperco played around with them on cars for a little bit before dropping them. You can make a linear, progressive, even digressive spring with them. And just keep an extra washer or two in your pack and you can throw one on after the 2 burgers, 4 dogs, and a 6 pack of ipas to get back to 30% sag.
Stacking 20 or 30 things that rub in an effort to close the gap in hysteresis between air springs and coil-wound springs is like trying to tune fuel injection cars to be more like carb's, but accidentally fucking the neighbors dog.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Stacking 20 or 30 things that rub in an effort to close the gap in hysteresis between air springs and coil-wound springs is like trying to tune fuel injection cars to be more like carb's, but accidentally fucking the neighbors dog.
Sounds like Mtb suspension to a T.