Quantcast

Ok new problem...chains

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I got a bashguard that only cover's the bottom quarter of the chainwheel. THis normally works except when my foot comes off mid air causing the chainwheel to rotate the bashguard out of the way. So my chain takes a lot of abuse. I'm using the KMC 710 Kool Chain and its making a kinking/sharp poping noise when I crank down hard...anyway to work this out?

phlegm

Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
Whistler/Vancouver
You've probably buggered some links. They'll need to be replaced.. give your chain a thorough check over and replace the ones that need to be replaced.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Bad freewheel?

Wait...isn't this the chainwheel you bent? Did you tighten up the fixing bolt? The one that secures it to the crank?

Is your chain lubed? (had to ask!)

:rolleyes:

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Brand new chain...was running smoothly on the same jacked chainwheel until I took it for my first ride. The bent chainwheel would only cause a tight spot on the chain but not the creaking.

On a side not anyone know of u could run your cranks opposite? I have RHD cranks and want to run them on the left hand. I know that might play hell with the pedals unthreading but do they really unthread that easily? Also the rear wheel is a Right hand drive...but what if I flipped it around so hat the freewheel mount is on the left hand side...shouldn't all I have to do then is buy a left hand drive freewheel? If I could move to LHD as cheaply as possible it would solve a lot of my chain/chainwheel problems, they would be out of the way.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
You need at least a LHD hub and freewheel. Proberly a good idea to get a LHD crank arm as well.