Quantcast

OK, new rear shock time!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Time for the generic question, one that no one has ever heard before!! LOL!!! What’s a decent shock that’s relatively affordable? I believe SKATODD said the IH SGS would do well with the Manitou Swinger. I am seriously considering the 4 way for next season.

I'm definitely going to upgrade as I hate the shock I have now. 7.50x2.20

I may go the rout of a double crown as well, since the spacers for the 1.5 HT is not brutally expensive. However, the Sherman has been real durable and I have not had any problems with it whatsoever.

The rear for sure though. Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I like the feel of an air shock, but I'm a big dude. When I first got the bike I was about 250 or so lbs and smoking like a damn chimney. Currently, my official weight from the doctor is 227. I lost a total of 36 lbs, and more fat loss, however, I need to do a work up as I also built up muscle mass.

Point is this. I’ll be about 200 lbs, by April-May, which still puts me in the big dude category……

I’ve heard some decent things about them….

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
For your size, Avalanche for sure. I just bought a used Avalanche for $270 delivered and it had just been rebuilt.

Check the classifieds or get the new Avalanche Monty. Its only $399 new. I just took off the Fox and put on the Avy and oh my there is a HUGE difference.

What bike are you riding?

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
'03 IH SGS Expert.

Frame Material: aluminum
Frame Angles: 68.0 head, 65.0 seat
Sizes: Medium
Colors: Matte Gray
Fork: Sherman Breakout
Rear Shock: Fox Vanilla R, 7.0" travel
Brake Levers: Hayes HFX-9 HD
Handlebar: FSA riser bar
Stem: FSA
Headset: 1 1/2" FSA Big Fat Pig
Front Der: Shimano Deore
Crankset: TruVativ Hussefelt, 170mm, 22/32/44 teeth
Rear Der: Shimano Deore XT
Pedals: Wellgo Wam B-37 Platform

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
sirknight6 said:
I like the feel of an air shock, but I'm a big dude. When I first got the bike I was about 250 or so lbs and smoking like a damn chimney. Currently, my official weight from the doctor is 227. I lost a total of 36 lbs, and more fat loss, however, I need to do a work up as I also built up muscle mass.

Point is this. I’ll be about 200 lbs, by April-May, which still puts me in the big dude category……

I’ve heard some decent things about them….
Congratulations on losing the weight. Mountain biking is so much fun, sometimes I forget that it's a great wat to get into shape and stay in shape...

As for the shock, the 4-way would be a good upgrade or you can pick up a Progressive. Some people complain about them, but I have always liked my 5th...

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Yeah, Skatod said the Progressive wouldn't fit the bike properly....

Thanks. Noticeable difference riding when going to the gym 3 times a week. :thumb:

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
So everybody thinks Avalanche > Fox DHX?

Better tuneability? Better small-bump plushness? Why?

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
odiwik said:
So everybody thinks Avalanche > Fox DHX?

Better tuneability? Better small-bump plushness? Why?
Great questions. I can honestly say that I have NO faith in the shock I have now. I’d like to get something real plush that’s not real, well, quite frankly, “cheep” feeling. Even with the rebound properly adjusted on the Vanilla R, it just seems real clunky.

The only way I can really explain it is this, If I do any decent sized jumps, or drops, I feel as if the Vanilla wants to heave me over, almost bouncy feeling. Does that make any sense?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
You could send the Vanilla R into PUSH and have them rebuild it for you. A Pushed Vanilla R doesnt feel that bad really.

The Avalanche is so plush it is crazy. Ive had a Romic, Curnutt, and a Avalanche on my Foes and the Avy does everything. It takes big drops, has great small bump sensitivity, and pedals really well.

On my Big Hit I have had a Fox, Pushed Fox, Stratos, and now a Avalanche and it made such a huge difference.

I like a super plush bike and the Avy does it. You can change how well it pedals with the compression knob. Every avy I have ridden you set the rebound 4-5 clicks from slowest and forget about it. It does everything very well and I have no complaints at all. You will not find a more reliable shock either.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I have the DHS but any Avy would be awesome. The new Monty for the price would be sweet. You would have to call to see if it would fit or if it can be made in the correct size or close to it.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
the 03 sgs has a 7.875x2.0. the 5th and and thing with a long resi will not fit. i ran into the same problem. it really suck. your stuck with shock w/really short resi or no resi

i ended up with a romic but a swinger 3 way will fit just fine also look into the new rock shox pearl (it looks like a really nice shock and has no resi)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It would be good to know what kind of riding we're talking about. The way you describe the bouncy feeling makes it sound like your spring is too heavy or you need more rebound damping. But unless it's a propedal version, that is a very lively shock and if you want a more controlled feel check out an Avy, or a DHX coil if you want to spend a little less money. If you do a search there are a bunch of threads here about Avy v. DHX. The Avy cult is pretty strong but they are being gentle so far.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Fox DHX coil on rear since you are a big guy. and get a double crown fork, screw the manitou its gonna die when you start riding a lot. I will be selling my shiver in a month or so :-D

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
mobius said:
Fox DHX coil on rear since you are a big guy. and get a double crown fork, screw the manitou its gonna die when you start riding a lot. I will be selling my shiver in a month or so :-D
LOL!!!! one thing at a time! :p

If I can sell some equipment, then yeah, the dual crown is do-able. But the main thing is the rear.....

headkase

Chimp
Oct 5, 2005
not to thread jack, but how do you properly measure the rear shock for replacement? I have a 01 kona stinky-five with the fox shock on it now.

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
OGRipper said:
It would be good to know what kind of riding we're talking about. The way you describe the bouncy feeling makes it sound like your spring is too heavy or you need more rebound damping. But unless it's a propedal version, that is a very lively shock and if you want a more controlled feel check out an Avy, or a DHX coil if you want to spend a little less money. If you do a search there are a bunch of threads here about Avy v. DHX. The Avy cult is pretty strong but they are being gentle so far.
All threads I find relating to the Avalanche and DHX has a bunch of Avalanche fanboys saying how they have ridden every shock on the market and it is the best shock in the world... Then say they haven't tried any newer shocks (DHX, sometimes even the 5th). I don't know what in the world they are comparing the Avy to... Fox RC!? A plastic rod bolted in between the shock mounts would feel better than an RC. The naysayers all talk about how Craig is a jackass when talked to, but they typically don't have a DHX or very informative posts either.

So anyway, for anybody that has ridden both a DHX and Avy, which was better and why? I am probably going to end up getting a DHX.. Less money, hardly any horror stories about it or Fox's CS, and lighter...

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I have not ridden a DHX but I have ridden everything else.
Fox R, Fox RC, Manatou 4 way and 6 way, Pushed Fox, 5th Element, Curnutt, Stratos, Romic, and an Avalanche. I have had a lot of time on every shock too. The Avalanche pedals as well as every shock mentioned, except the 5th. I will give pedaling to the 5th. As for everything else, the Avalanche is hands down better. Well, the Avy is really hard to bunnyhop and the Stratos is a bunny hop king. :) The Avy soaks up every small bump to the biggest drop. I have never "felt" my Avy bottom. Never. I am sure it has bottomed but I have never felt it. I have the oil changed and nitro charged every year and it has never missed a day of riding. Never. It takes square edges very well too. It takes and makes everything smooth. It stays planted to the ground when it needs to and bounces top to top in the bumps when it needs too. Sort of like a moto shock. I cant say anything better about an Avy. I will never ride another shock. I have two bikes and they both run Avys in the rear.

I will say, there is only one negative I have found in the AVY. It isn't lively like a Fox or Romic. It takes a little getting use to when you want to jump and play around on the trail. The Avy likes to run stuff over and not look back. Dont get me wrong, once you get use to it, you can pop off anything. It just takes a little getting use to.

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
seismic said:
I have been riding a Fox DHX and I think it is an ok shock. But I like the feeling of the Avy better !
Any details, explanations, or reasons? I have never seen a post with details or reasons... :confused:

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
I can run the Avy softer than the Fox without bottoming it out. Also, even though the rebound on the Fox can be set up slower than the Avy, the Avy seems to feel more controlled in its rebound.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Its hard to explain. I run both my Avys on 4-5 clicks from slowest. If I run the shock on 1,2, or 3, the rebound is too slow and it doesnt rebound fast enough and it sort of clunks on the small bumps. It doesn't make a sound but rather a feeling.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
sirknight6 said:
Which Avy?

i think an avy is recommendable when

a)you dont put a premium on sheer pedalling perfomance,
b)you will be spending 350(+)usd
c)you wont be cracking the frame anytime soon (and lose the investment)
d)rider weight or "abusiveness" is above average.
e) you live far away from any fox, manitou, or romic service center.

any avy will give you the benefits derived of its bigger and sturdier structure, the dhs and the large resi piggyback shocks are equal in performance, the small resi piggyback shock has a theorical downside in the fact that it uses a sliding piston like all other shocks, inside the reservoir for volumen compensation (instead of a bladder), the monotube hasnt got compression adjustment and is very much like a vanilla r on steroids and with a avy sized valve.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Kanter said:
Its hard to explain. I run both my Avys on 4-5 clicks from slowest. If I run the shock on 1,2, or 3, the rebound is too slow and it doesnt rebound fast enough and it sort of clunks on the small bumps. It doesn't make a sound but rather a feeling.

OK, I know what you mean. I ride mine 3 clicks out but it is still ok on the smaller stuff...but of course the valving might be different.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Thrillkil said:
I'm buying an Avalanche Monotube in a month or so - you might have a problem with the SGS - they only come in 7.875X2.25, 8.5X2.5, and 9.5X3.0
How would that be a problem? I went to the Avy site and they have that size. I think the issue with the SGS is the reservoir size, and uf I use a remote mounted reservoir, I should be fine. And yes, I ride a bit hard and I'm not exactly a little guy.

It seems to me the route I will likely and up going will be the Avy. Not that the Fox HFX is bad, but the Avy from what I'm hearing is more durable. That coupled with my experience with Fox seems to be the smarter choice for me.

Right now, while I ride, I have no faith in the shock (Vanilla R) whatsoever.

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
Isla Vista, CA
sirknight6 said:
How would that be a problem? I went to the Avy site and they have that size. I think the issue with the SGS is the reservoir size, and uf I use a remote mounted reservoir, I should be fine. And yes, I ride a bit hard and I'm not exactly a little guy.

It seems to me the route I will likely and up going will be the Avy. Not that the Fox HFX is bad, but the Avy from what I'm hearing is more durable. That coupled with my experience with Fox seems to be the smarter choice for me.

Right now, while I ride, I have no faith in the shock (Vanilla R) whatsoever.
oh ok - the Avalanche DHS will suit you fine, then. I was talking about the new lower-cost Avalanche Monotube shock.