Quantcast

Ok, new XC bike suggestions, go now!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well, frame only to be specific.

Looking for a little more compliance and maybe fox just screwed the last tune on my shock, but looking to replace my ~2015 (mainframe replaced to v2) Pivot 429 SL with 110-120mm of travel and steeper STA.

you know the usual, unicorn stuff, light, stiff, plush, efficient, avoid wacky proprietary or stupidboost…ideally like around 95-105% AS mid-travel, but willing to make up some with lockout/trail mode.

on the list so far:
SC blur 115, AS at 50% travel is kinda low.
Ripley-heavy
Orbea Oiz 120, seems to have wacky LC
RM element Carbon 120, do
Kona hei hei bb92 :(
Norco Revolver

Not on list intentionally:
Trek top fuel
Spec epic
Canondale scalpel
Pivot 429 trail
Allied BC40

ideez pleez

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
If our trip to AZ had worked out better logistically you could have swung a leg over my XL or my wife's L Epic Evo's. As a marathon bike I wish I'd had it 15 years ago, versus using my og Turner Sultan.

Big fan of it so far for the 15 months I've owned it/12 months it's been ridden for.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm a bit hesitant to do another Spec, my Enduro 29 felt pretty harsh/hanging up in bumps compared to my Turner, but with a test ride that could help. My riding buddy that finished 12 seconds ahead of me was on the Kona, but man was he out-turning me in the singletrack. That's usually my jam.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I put a bunch more on the list, but I think I'm leaning towards the SC, plus I may be able to test ride it, as we actually have a dealer. Spur has similar suspension specs, but is more than a pound heavier. With a yoke mount and BB92, I knocked the Canyon down a few points. Of course, this hinges on being able to actually get a SC Blur TR frame. Not sure if that's even possible. Allied BC40 actually seems to be the most optimal...but it's $1500 more than the Blur frame and that buys a lot of coke. The Oiz was extremely interesting, but not available in frame-only and has a wacky headset configuration (like from Satan himself). I was initially interested in that Kona Hei Hei, but a good friend that races with me and is roughly equal (as in an equal thrasher) broke the front and rear triangle (at different times). That would probably be the value-option otherwise.

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
If you are looking for a high value option, you might look at some of the newer chinese frames. You can cut out the middleman AND have it in rootbeer!
Seriously though, I've been very impressed with mine.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I put a bunch more on the list, but I think I'm leaning towards the SC, plus I may be able to test ride it, as we actually have a dealer. Spur has similar suspension specs, but is more than a pound heavier. With a yoke mount and BB92, I knocked the Canyon down a few points. Of course, this hinges on being able to actually get a SC Blur TR frame. Not sure if that's even possible. Allied BC40 actually seems to be the most optimal...but it's $1500 more than the Blur frame and that buys a lot of coke. The Oiz was extremely interesting, but not available in frame-only and has a wacky headset configuration (like from Satan himself). I was initially interested in that Kona Hei Hei, but a good friend that races with me and is roughly equal (as in an equal thrasher) broke the front and rear triangle (at different times). That would probably be the value-option otherwise.
I would have gone for the Blur TR frameset when we were looking, but they weren't available at all and the full builds weren't to my preference. The full build I went for on the Epic EVO came with their ~1400g carbon wheels for a better price than the Blur, but I still had to swap a lot of the parts on the full build to get what I wanted.

The advantage you should have now is there is availability of everything, last spring that still wasn't the case.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Well, frame only to be specific.

on the list so far:
SC blur 115, AS at 50% travel is kinda low.
Ripley-heavy
Orbea Oiz 120, seems to have wacky LC
*snip*

ideez pleez
Big fan of the Orbea here, but not sure if you can get a frame only?
I've sold a few of the Oiz and all the feed back is that it's ridiculously fast yet comfortable.
I seems to to be an across the board thing with the orbeas's is that they are all really really fast bikes.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Big fan of the Orbea here, but not sure if you can get a frame only?
I've sold a few of the Oiz and all the feed back is that it's ridiculously fast yet comfortable.
I seems to to be an across the board thing with the orbeas's is that they are all really really fast bikes.
Yeah, I might circle back to a built Orbea since SC has no frames (jusr confirmed).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
my idea is to put the pivot 429 on your list LOL
It’s abnormally heavy for xc/racing, it uses stupid-boost so Id need new wheels, pivot doesnt sell frames, lots of reasons for no. They built that as a much heavier trail-bike, despite the 120mm. Thats fine and all, but it’s definitely outside of what im looking for (xc race, marathon, etc.). About the only thing going for it is the lateral stiffness, but id much rather have a mach 4sl with 110mm of travel (doesnt exist yet, but there are rumors) vs the trail 429.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
my idea is to put the pivot 429 on your list LOL
Friend just got one, looks good, he is in the big guy crowd, will be interesting how it holds up.

The Oreba another friend rides is pretty light, not as slack as everything else is these days.

I have no interest in going racing, just like plowing thru stuff.

Attachments

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I put a deposit on the Allied. SC blur trail cc bikes are non existent, let alone frames. I checked with my dealer and then scoured everywhere else. The dealer owner got one, but that seems to be a unicorn. Same with orbea oiz in the higher end frame spec (layup), itd be at least the m-pro but except for like two locations, at 7.5K, it doesnt exist. I believe allied is made-to order with some lead time, but may be better than waiting around for something that may never happen.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
As a Canfield fanboi I'd be intrigued to try a Revel Ranger...
I was too, until I looked at the kinematics. Not quite as high and flat as most of the canfield bikes as far as the AS curve. Not bad in that respect, but it had a few dings against it with my criteria. A little more trail-ish with everything considered.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Allied lead time 6-8 weeks, not bad considering the fairly custom/in-house nature.

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I put a deposit on the Allied. SC blur trail cc bikes are non existent, let alone frames. I checked with my dealer and then scoured everywhere else. The dealer owner got one, but that seems to be a unicorn. Same with orbea oiz in the higher end frame spec (layup), itd be at least the m-pro but except for like two locations, at 7.5K, it doesnt exist. I believe allied is made-to order with some lead time, but may be better than waiting around for something that may never happen.
Which shock are you pairing it with?

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
It’s abnormally heavy for xc/racing, it uses stupid-boost so Id need new wheels, pivot doesnt sell frames, lots of reasons for no. They built that as a much heavier trail-bike, despite the 120mm. Thats fine and all, but it’s definitely outside of what im looking for (xc race, marathon, etc.). About the only thing going for it is the lateral stiffness, but id much rather have a mach 4sl with 110mm of travel (doesnt exist yet, but there are rumors) vs the trail 429.
Mach 4 dropped today.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Mach 4 dropped today.
I saw that a few days ago.

A few reasons against pivot:
No frames-only.
BB92, especially when they crammed 30mm spindles in there, but even still, i got lots of good 30mm spindle cranks for either bsa or bb30.
Stupid-boost, not on the M4, but the trail429 is pretty close in every respect except its a pig weight wise, that’s one of the reasons and so few people want or need 27.5 plus.
They kept the hta pretty steep, I could live with that, but could be slightly slacker maybe.
I am also suspect of the lateral stiffness, the previous m4sl was already less stiff than my 429sl and with how much they shaved/saved, i have to question this a bit more-otherwise i am usually ok with a little weight penalty for parallel link lateral stiffness.

The plusses are pedaling/suspension and the travel options.

As a complete bike that someone is going to pay 8-12 grand for, I think it makes more sense than my frame-only search. Then some of these concerns are not really relevant in that case.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I think my XL Epic Evo is 24.5, but that's with ~830g tyres, and cages. Not sure what it sits at with tube and oneup pump/tools strapped to it.