Quantcast

Ok,now I’m getting ready for the Mighty Gwin return.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I know all you French Loving Monkeys Say otherwise,but I’m not feeling it. My Boy is coming back off of injuries. You think he will just vanish as his no win record in the last whatever says so? No Sir,No One is more Upset than Me. I have been watching these podcasts and YouTube videos,I’m ready. My Boy is Back,though I am worried about him on a Intense,perhaps I’m looking for an exsuse. None the less,“you will rue rue the day”.
Avy

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It will be more fun to root against Gwinn if he doesn't suck so it would be nice if he was competitive again. But as an armchair fantasy psychologist I just don't think his head was in it last year and I don't see him getting back into it.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
It will be more fun to root against Gwinn if he doesn't suck so it would be nice if he was competitive again. But as an armchair fantasy psychologist I just don't think his head was in it last year and I don't see him getting back into it.
Dam Westy,you aint never had love for Gwin to my memory(correct me if I’m wrong),always throwing Salt! What the Fuck Do We Know tobe in his shoes? The Second Baddest MotherFucker on Earf on a DownHill Bike. I forgive you.
Avy

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I am a big Gwin fan myself but I have to agree w/ you...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If you’re ever in Anchorage, you have to go to Gwennies. You don’t have to, but everyone does for some reason, it’s craptastic tourist trap fare.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Regarding his Youtube channel, I was prepared for a trainwreck after watching the 1st one, where he essentially announced that he was expecting to suck before eventually getting better at it.

To be fair, I think he is doing pretty well and is a much better communicator than I anticipated. I though his vid on the cockpit setup (bar roll, brake levers, etc) was excellent. The one linked above on the essential tools to bring to the trails was average, but I like that he was proposing a lot of budget-oriented stuff instead of only showing off custom and high-end tools. Because of that, it is probably a good video for people newer to the sport.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
For me, as long as he's in the industry and progressing with riders, manufacturers, technology, etc. I'm fine with him not being a contender. Dude has lots of knowledge and skill.

Maybe there should be an "Aaron Gwin Academy"? LOL - Take that PinkForks! :)

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
You know e-bike races don't count, right?

Interesting that he is an owner and manager for the team he is racing on....:monkey:
when did he race e-bikes?
pretty sure he's not the first to be financially involved in the team he's on.

i'll never understand hating on anyone who's out there riding bikes for a living when most of us would be pretty happy to have that option. is it because he has different beliefs than others? because he turned his hard work, skill and results into money? because by all accounts he's super approachable and nice to everyone who's interacted with him personally? (i have, he was super cool when he drove out to AZ to support a grass roots effort to raise money for melissa buhl to be able to race one year). because he accomplished more as a WC racer in a shorter period of time than anyone else in the sport?
i mean it's not like he's being accusatory and using homophobic slurs towards another racer in instagram DM's.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

i'll never understand hating on anyone who's out there riding bikes for a living when most of us would be pretty happy to have that option. is it because he has different beliefs than others? because he turned his hard work, skill and results into money? because by all accounts he's super approachable and nice to everyone who's interacted with him personally? (i have, he was super cool when he drove out to AZ to support a grass roots effort to raise money for melissa buhl to be able to race one year). because he accomplished more as a WC racer in a shorter period of time than anyone else in the sport?
i mean it's not like he's being accusatory and using homophobic slurs towards another racer in instagram DM's.
While I respect his achievements, he seems to rub me the wrong way. Being it the drama when changing teams, his Rock Jesus attitude, "destroying" the great team and vibe of the former IFR team (Deano, Jack Moir, Charlie and Nik), his willingness to compromise reliability and functionality of bike parts for sponsorship dollars, throwing his mechanic under the bus to hide a crank failure of his sponsor, etc.. I would not call it hate, but him not winning bothers me less than other racers.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006

That’s What I’m talkin About! Yes Sir.
Avy

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
While I respect his achievements, he seems to rub me the wrong way.
His latest interview on Gypsy Podcasts is worth a listen (if you can sit through the podcast host rambling about judo for an hour). Gwin really impressed me on that one. I used to think he was a boring dude at first, but he's grown on me over the years. His massive barhump at MSA finish and the the no-tire run were the first signs to me that he's just a rad dude that comes across a bit stuffy at first.

I really don't know where the sentiment that he's done comes from - I think he'll be back at the pointy end soon.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
His latest interview on Gypsy Podcasts is worth a listen (if you can sit through the podcast host rambling about judo for an hour). Gwin really impressed me on that one. I used to think he was a boring dude at first, but he's grown on me over the years. His massive barhump at MSA finish and the the no-tire run were the first signs to me that he's just a rad dude that comes across a bit stuffy at first.

I really don't know where the sentiment that he's done comes from - I think he'll be back at the pointy end soon.

He didn't race a lot this year from what seemed to be minor injuries, perhaps he was playing it down and thing were worse. I wouldn't blame him either way as I can't imagine risk trying to go that fast without 100% confidence. Other than Snowshoe he didn't even bother to go to the races, few injured riders do, but he is the team owner and manager fer chrissakes. Makes it seem like he just isn't into it anymore.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
While I respect his achievements, he seems to rub me the wrong way. Being it the drama when changing teams, his Rock Jesus attitude, "destroying" the great team and vibe of the former IFR team (Deano, Jack Moir, Charlie and Nik), his willingness to compromise reliability and functionality of bike parts for sponsorship dollars, throwing his mechanic under the bus to hide a crank failure of his sponsor, etc.. I would not call it hate, but him not winning bothers me less than other racers.
Wait,so this is a Fact about his Rock Jesus attitude destroyed the team,or your opinion?

I remember the Housman Brothers running FSA cranks just destroying them per run,I knew there mechanic at the time,garbage is garbage,FSA is garbage if you ask me. Now,what was the Crank,and what did Gwin say? His mechanic is still with him no? I’m thinking you are in the Industry?
Avy

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
He didn't race a lot this year from what seemed to be minor injuries, perhaps he was playing it down and thing were worse. I wouldn't blame him either way as I can't imagine risk trying to go that fast without 100% confidence. Other than Snowshoe he didn't even bother to go to the races, few injured riders do, but he is the team owner and manager fer chrissakes. Makes it seem like he just isn't into it anymore.
I wonder if teh covid was a weighing factor in his equation. I def don't want to travel right now. No fucking way. I'll drive to Moab (I'm in CO, btw) That's about it. Europe? East Coast? No way.

Everyone has the reasons....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I wonder if teh covid was a weighing factor in his equation. I def don't want to travel right now. No fucking way. I'll drive to Moab (I'm in CO, btw) That's about it. Europe? East Coast? No way.

Everyone has the reasons....
Imma gonna speculate that covid wasn't something Aaron was too worried about.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Wait,so this is a Fact about his Rock Jesus attitude destroyed the team,or your opinion?

I remember the Housman Brothers running FSA cranks just destroying them per run,I knew there mechanic at the time,garbage is garbage,FSA is garbage if you ask me. Now,what was the Crank,and what did Gwin say? His mechanic is still with him no? I’m thinking you are in the Industry?
Avy
Funny that the guy most oblivious to facts and opening the discussion with a fanboi post asks for facts. :rofl:

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018

Judo or Jiu Jitsu? :D I had to listen to that podcast guy ramble about it when he was chatting with Sam Hill.

The Gwin hate/dislike especially from his fellow countrymen does surprise me. I don't think he'll win another world cup with Intense and I would be surprised if he did. What about your fellow kangaroo Sam Hill? He has three kids now and seems to miss them and his wife a lot when he is away. Think he'll retire after next season?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I think people were taken back by a guy that never raced bikes at least for a long period just showing up and getting top 10s in WC races. While being able to stomp any of them on a Moto. Since he wasn't a goof, wannabe rockstar (minus the women, drugs, money), loudmouth tool that was never competitive for the top 3 like most MTB riders are people got their panties in a bunch. These are the same asshats that didn't like NICO......

Last edited:

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW