Quantcast

Ok, so now where to go instead of Big Bear?

Bobby Peru

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Big Tuna, TX
I am so bummed, I just bought a downhill bike last year and I got to go to Big Bear 3 times last summer. I was so looking forward to another season of BB. So now that it's closed for DH bikes, what should I do? Mammoth? What is MM like? Any other places around the greater LA area to ride my DH bike? Somewhere where there is a chairlift so I don't hafta walk my bike up!

help!

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I live in the claremont area and there are a number of illegal/semi legal trails on public land that I have found over the last couple years. Most of them are accessed from an open fire road loop that starts at the end of Mills ave. If you are willing to pedal up that god awful fireroad, miles of downhill and several jump parks will be your reward. . . the only problem is that some of these trials are so nasty that almost nobody rides them. . . the steepest of them have developed serious erosion issues that make riding them less possible/enjoyable for all but the most masochistic of riders. I was thinking about doing a little digging up there, but help is always appreciated if you are local. As for shuttle runs, I myself am at a loss.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Bobby Peru said:
Mammoth? What is MM like?
Mammoth is very nice. There are tons of trails to keep you happy and you can easily link up a ten mile DH run. To bad it's a 6-8 hour drive. Oh well, I'll be going up there once a month when they open the bike park.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
downhillzeypher said:
Build up your local trail. SoCal's scene is only as good as we're willing to make it.
:stupid: very well said.

I'm sick of hearing people say that there's no good riding any more. Grab a shovel and go out and dig. Even if all you do is clean up the ruts and fix some corners you will soon love your local trail again. A couple of us spent a week rebuilding an old forgoten DH trail and it is now my favorite trail!

A note to the wise, unless you own the land don't build north shore style stuff!! This will cause all your hard work to get wrecked faster than Anna Nicole Smith at a cocktail party and it gives those MTB hating bastards more fuel for the fire.

slowrollin

Chimp
Jan 25, 2005
Bootleg canyon in the winter, Mammoth in the summer. BC has great DH trails, XC trails, jumps, DS, and a BMX track. It's free to ride the trails. You can also camp for free or they have plenty of motel/hotels in Boulder City. It's closer than Mammoth (to SD) and your only 30-40 minutes away from VEGAS. You can do your own shutlin' or use one of the two shuttle services provided by the local shops.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
There's the Southridge race series in Fontana for winter DH racing. Small course with a truck shuttle and a push, but a fun time.

There are also places to ride in the LA area, best discussed off the board, but none obviously have lifts. Shuttling or pushing is all you'll have unless you go to Mammoth, Northstar, or to one of the Utah or Colorado ski-resort venues.

Bobby Peru said:
Mammoth? What is MM like? Any other places around the greater LA area to ride my DH bike? Somewhere where there is a chairlift so I don't hafta walk my bike up!
Mammoth is a different world from Big Bear. After you go to Mammoth, you will realize that a major factor in how "good" Snow Summit riding is, is that it's close to your house. Mammoth has more trails, way more distance between the top and bottom of the hill, a larger better town, higher beer prices (okay, damn them for that) and a prettier, albeit much longer, drive.

Bobby Peru

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Big Tuna, TX
slowrollin said:
Bootleg canyon in the winters
Wow, this sounds really cool! Is it open every weekend? When is the best time to go, I mean it does get really warm out there. I will be in Vegas March 17th (To see the greatest rock n roll band in the world- the SUPERSUCKERS! Click this>>> www.supersuckers.com at the Vegas House of Blues) So I may bring my bike! Damn, I can't wait!

Bobby Peru

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Big Tuna, TX
EBasil said:
Mammoth is a different world from Big Bear. After you go to Mammoth, you will realize that a major factor in how "good" Snow Summit riding is, is that it's close to your house. Mammoth has more trails, way more distance between the top and bottom of the hill, a larger better town, higher beer prices (okay, damn them for that) and a prettier, albeit much longer, drive.
A few days ago, I was really down B/C I thought I'd never get to ride my (cool ass DH) bike at a really cool place again...but now the possibilities are endless! Thanx so much you guys.... the world is once again my oyster!

slowrollin

Chimp
Jan 25, 2005
They should have a little better info on thier site. Also, you should disable any pop-up blockers before you go to thier site. They often put announce special events with a pop-up.
As far as camping goes..it's nevada, camp where you want. They have two large dirt parking lots, I have seen people with tents and RV's set up in both. remember it is the desert and can get windy. There are also more remote places you can camp off the fireroad that goes to the top. They have nice bathrooms with showers. The bathrooms are free, not sure about the showers. camping is free. doing your own shuttle is free. The two shops that run shuttles are Boulder City Outfitter and All Mountain Cyclery. They have links on the BC website. it's my understanding they are running shuttles every weekend, call to be sure.

Bobby Peru

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Big Tuna, TX
Just got back from Bootleg canyon.... OMFG! This place is f'n GREAT! The people are cool, the trails are bad f'n ass and everything about this place was cool. I had the BEST time and I will be going once again next month. Pictures soon to follow...

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
sonic rbz said:
Do you know any more info on the camping at bootleg canyon. There site doesn't say anything.
YOU CAN NOT I SAY CAN NOT CAMP AT BOOTLEG!!!!!! We tried to at 12AM and got pulled over by the cops and they said we cant camp there, the only place is lake mead and its exspensive, well thats all we found! But ya Mammoth, Northstar and Brianhead, all around 6-8 hours away :stosh: