Quantcast

Ok, so the US is the most powerful military power on Earth right?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Originally posted by fluff

In your opinion DT, what has the US done wrong in terms of foreign policy in the last 100 years or so?

You should modify that question:

tack onto the end "......while a democrat was in the White House?"

Otherwise you'll never get a proper answer. (Like there was much danger of that anyway).

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Originally posted by fluff

In your opinion DT, what has the US done wrong in terms of foreign policy in the last 100 years or so?

(And who here knows who the USA was in an arms race with between 1920 and 1936?)

I'm fond of the Marshall Plan myself.

Remember that with the uploading of a simple code we can effectively shut down GPS to all but the US military so don't muck around with us. LORAN was shut down years ago.
:D

What have we done wrong?
1992-2000 was pretty bad.:rolleyes:
I am mortally ashamed that Clinton pulled out of Somalia when a few people got killed and it became a political liability for him. IMO that was the most rightous use of military force in the last 50 years. We had no interest whatsoever there other than as a humanitiarian effort. I was, for a time, actually very proud of Clinton for sending us in there. Until he backed down, and renderd vain the losses of American lives since the mission was not accomplished. The saddest thing about it is that by doing so he set a precedent for non-involvement in civil wars such as Timor, Rawanda etc where we could have done some real good.

Clintons abject failure to get OBL when he had the chance after the USS Cole was bombed. He could have easilly put a Seal team on the ground or utilized (had he not previously emasculated) a CIA black OP to just make OBL dissapear.

I don't fully understand Viet-Nam, and don't think any of us ever will. But what I do know is that the mission was not accomplished and far far too many Americans died w/o an end result that could help their families justify, to some degree, their loss.

I have never claimed that the US is without it's share of faults. The point of my question was that this country, in a very short time, has done a lot of good on this planet. Yet all we ever hear from overseas is how much this or that sucks and how we ought to mind our own business. That is until the complaining country needs help. Then they don't mind us so much.

Originally posted by Damn True

I'm fond of the Marshall Plan myself.

Remember that with the uploading of a simple code we can effectively shut down GPS to all but the US military so don't muck around with us. LORAN was shut down years ago.
:D

What have we done wrong?
1992-2000 was pretty bad.:rolleyes:
I am mortally ashamed that Clinton pulled out of Somalia when a few people got killed and it became a political liability for him. IMO that was the most rightous use of military force in the last 50 years. We had no interest whatsoever there other than as a humanitiarian effort. I was, for a time, actually very proud of Clinton for sending us in there. Until he backed down, and renderd vain the losses of American lives since the mission was not accomplished. The saddest thing about it is that by doing so he set a precedent for non-involvement in civil wars such as Timor, Rawanda etc where we could have done some real good.

Clintons abject failure to get OBL when he had the chance after the USS Cole was bombed. He could have easilly put a Seal team on the ground or utilized (had he not previously emasculated) a CIA black OP to just make OBL dissapear.

I don't fully understand Viet-Nam, and don't think any of us ever will. But what I do know is that the mission was not accomplished and far far too many Americans died w/o an end result that could help their families justify, to some degree, their loss.

I have never claimed that the US is without it's share of faults. The point of my question was that this country, in a very short time, has done a lot of good on this planet. Yet all we ever hear from overseas is how much this or that sucks and how we ought to mind our own business. That is until the complaining country needs help. Then they don't mind us so much.
I definitely agree with the Somalia part, and as far as Vietnam goes, all I have to do is listen to my father tell stories about his experiences in Vietnam and I get upset at the fact that, in my eyes, he (and all others who fought over there) was never fully compensated for fighting over there. I just watched "We Were Soldiers" the other day. Pretty good movie.

Originally posted by Joe Pozer
I would like to know what the Life Expectancy in other countries is compared to the US. I just read that it hit an all-time high to 77 years. Does anybody have any stats on how that compares to the other industrial nations?
edited (i just checked recent numbers for a paper i'm doing): we had a shamefully high infant mortality rate (apparently it's come down some in the past few years but its still high). Japan and Canada and several Western European countries have lower infant mortality and longer life expectancy than we do. We are embarrassingly behind in health care compared to other countries.

CANADA:
Infant mortality rate: 5.02 deaths/1,000 live births (2001 est.)
Life expectancy at birth: total population: 79.56 years
male: 76.16 years
female: 83.13 years (2001 est.)

USA:
Infant mortality rate: 6.76 deaths/1,000 live births (2001 est.)
Life expectancy at birth: total population: 77.26 years
male: 74.37 years
female: 80.05 years (2001 est.)

I find Bush to be slightly embarrassing as well:

"The only thing I know about Slovakia is what I learned first-hand from your foreign minister, who came to Texas."
-Then governor George W. Bush replying to a Slovak journalist. Bush met the leader of Slovenia, not Slovakia. Source: Knight Ridder News Service, June 22, 1999.

:rolleyes: :p

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
yo dude, what's wrong with NAFTA?

the US doesn't pay attention to it anyway - take the softwood lumber dispute for example. it doesn't matter that the US efforts to kill CANADA's economy can't be stopped because you'll end up doing what you want to anyway. in the end you'll have our fresh water and vast energy supply, as well as all our weed.

i guess that's one of the problems that plagues your country's power... no one like a schoolyard bully, but no one wants to step up to take you out (until the timings right).

if i were you, i'd watch yo' back :)

however, if anyone does anything to ya, i'll be the first in line to back you up.