Quantcast

Ok, someone posted a thread about changin your car's oil...

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
and they had changed the plug out to solething with a small tube and an on/off lever with a safety latch. Now, I've searched but I cannot find anything. The stupid repair shop by my office managed to start to round off the oil pan bolt. Anyway, if it was you or you know of anything similar please let me know.

Thanks!

Colin

J

JRB

I always thought it was a stupid idea. If you are not mechanical enough to remove the plug and replace it without screwing something up, you have no business changing oil.

*not that this is you. :think:

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
loco said:
I always thought it was a stupid idea. If you are not mechanical enough to remove the plug and replace it without screwing something up, you have no business changing oil.

*not that this is you. :think:
You know, it's not that it's hard, but without an air tool to remove the plug that they installed with an air tool and the wrong size socket, it's getting hard to remove the plug without stripping it.

J

JRB

Colin said:
You know, it's not that it's hard, but without an air tool to remove the plug that they installed with an air tool and the wrong size socket, it's getting hard to remove the plug without stripping it.
Whoa - I have worked on things that take 20 gallons of oil, and never heard of a plug installed with air. You would strip the pan before you rounded the plug. Don't ever go there again.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
seriously, changing your oil is probaby teh second easiest thing to do to your car other than putting gas in. just go to your local big box car parts store and get a new, regular plug and change the oil yourself. the valved plugs are just asking for trouble

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Colin said:
Why is that?
some people say you can't drain all the oil since they stick up a bit further into the oil pan. but some people say they don't stick up further. in any case i have one on my car and it is running ok... :oink:

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
Colin said:
Why is that?
because its easier to let junk in, can eaisly leak from the valve, does intrude to the pan further as to not allow as much of the old oil out and hangs down further than a standard pan bolt so it will bust off if you go over an extremely big bump/curb/speedbump/etc. if youre going to crawl under your vehicle to get the oil out anyway, how hard its it to just take a wrench with you to unscrew a conventional bolt? i would not risk these issues for just a miniscule bit of convienence.

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
You know what is worth looking in to? Drilling and tapping your transmission pan for a bolt to do transmission fluid changes without taking the entire pan off every time.

Don't use the valve, use the conventional bolt and a wrench; no air. My pan is aluminum, and loco is right, it would yield before the bolt ever did if overtightened.