Quantcast

ok tech nerdz......I need a waterproof camera for alaska

gonefirefightin

free wieners
going on a 9 day float trip in Alaska in a month, going to be fishing and hunting off the river and will be making camp everyight, I wont have any power to recharge so it will need to take regular batteries. since I will be flying on float planes and living out of dry bags I need something small so I am limited on space and weight.

I am not going to be diving and would rather have some decent zoom and video

anyone have something like this that they would suggest or perhaps something they I should stay away from?

I began to google and I got over loaded.

for the inquiring minds......

I will be flying into Bethel Ak, and under the guide services of papa bear adventures

bethel ak - Google Maps

Last edited:

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
goPro HD? no flash, but it takes pretty good pics. fits the "small and waterproof" category as well.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
goPro HD? no flash, but it takes pretty good pics. fits the "small and waterproof" category as well.
I will be taking my gopro sd but using it for video on the raft and such....not a bad idea though to upgrade for ad HD...how is the pic quality?

edit.......just googled "pic quality go pro hd" looks like it pretty much sucks in low light. wont be an option for me. but I will upgrade to HD for video.

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I think 2-3 bens is reasonable. a long a it will last. it will be my go to cam for these trips I take.
at that price range, the Pana Lumix TS3 series is nice, especially with it's optical stabilization and better lens then most other cams. its also great at closeup shots too. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=compare.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=752103&is=REG

the Olympus TG610 is comparable with the Pana but it has a bigger and nicer screen for viewing and is 14mp compared to 12mp of the Pana (not a big deal) and is $70 cheaper
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/750005-REG/Olympus_228090_TG_610_Digital_Camera_Silver.html

none of them use AA's unfortunately. the Kodak is really one of the only ones that does but that cam blows

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Portable solar battery charger? Then you won't be restricted to regular batteries...
not too impressed with the technology yet. I have had three different panel kits (spendy) and none of them had been able to charge my sat phone battery within a full days worth of exposure. I was even swapping out batteries, in the long run I have found a few extra batteries is less weight and mass than solar charging systems.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
at that price range, the Pana Lumix TS3 series is nice, especially with it's optical stabilization and better lens then most other cams. its also great at closeup shots too.

the Olympus TG610 is comparable with the Pana but it has a bigger and nicer screen for viewing and is 14mp compared to 12mp of the Pana (not a big deal)

none of them use AA's unfortunately. the Kodak is really one of the only ones that does but that cam blows
good thing I am shopping a month early for this trip.....I have a feeling I will have to do some footwork (frys, best buy, etc) in order to molest and inspect to my liking

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
the Olympus TG610 is comparable with the Pana but it has a bigger and nicer screen for viewing and is 14mp compared to 12mp of the Pana (not a big deal) and is $70 cheaper
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/750005-REG/Olympus_228090_TG_610_Digital_Camera_Silver.html
That's the camera the lady has. I got it for her for Christmas. Seems to work pretty well. We took it to Jamaica and used it snorkeling. The only thing that seems to suck about the water camera is you get water on the lens when you take pics. So it's fine if you keep it dry or use underwater, but if you carry it around in the water you have to wipe the lens clean otherwise the pics will have water spots or end up cloudy. Sometimes it does add a cool effect though.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I bought an Olympus Stylus Tough (waterproof, freeze proof, dust proof and crash proof) for riding and it's been quite good thus far. My only complaint is the battery life and unfortunately it doesn't use regular batteries.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Check out the panny, I have the TS1 but I think there is a new model. I can take very clear pictures with good color. Has nice features including a photo burst feature at 11 FPS but low quality. I’ve used it snowboarding, mtbiking, surfing etc. Overall I’m pretty happy with the camera. I have 2 complaints:1. No lens cover so you have to remember to clean the lens (and scared of scratching it but haven’t had a problem yet even riding with it in my jersey pocket) and 2. when taking several shots in a row for a Panorama the exposures can be inconsistent causing visible seams when you stitch them together.
The video is ok. Make sure the waterproof depth is what you are looking for but I’ve surfed with it in my board short pocket for hours.
Battery life is good. For week long vacations I havent had to charge the battery yet.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I was aboot to try that as well but exploded my gopro surfing in costa rica last week. Be careful if you try to outsmartisfy it and resolve the fogging problem on your own.
lol, wth did you do?
they make foam inserts to help with fogging but keeping the seal clean and dry helps a ton too.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
lol, wth did you do?
they make foam inserts to help with fogging but keeping the seal clean and dry helps a ton too.
The inserts got wet so they were ruined. I pulled out some of the sorbent stuff they put in things to keep them dry,. The only problem was the beads were clear and i didnt realize when i shut the door that they forced themselves under the seal.
I thought I was being very careful but since the beads were clear I just didn’t see that the seal had been compromised. I was careful to monitor while I was surfing and only a very tiny amount of water got it but it must have landed in the perfect spot because it killed it. Had it less than a month. This was a replacement for the 1080 I lost surfing a month previous (making a suction cup mount for rental boards.)
I was successful with the mount. 3 suction cups attached to a dremeled piece of luxan.