Quantcast

Ok then, How about Rocky Mountain

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Wow!! Go for it!

Disclaimer: "The originator of this response takes no responsibility for damages occured by faulty manufacturing.":)
I dont know this brand, but sounds like a really good deal though. Goodluck. :D
I'm excited for you.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I don't know much about the Rocky Mountain product line either. From looking at the specs though, I think it would do you good to upgrade the shifters and brakes to XT.
________
Free Vaporizer

Last edited:
R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by Heidi
I don't know much about the Rocky Mountain product line either. From looking at the specs though, I think it would do you good to upgrade the shifters and brakes to XT.
Thats a great bike. XT would be nicer but I say go out and beat the heck outta those LX levers first. They arent that bad.

Hehe I'm probably just saying that right now cuz I have totally thrashed 5 year old 8 speed XT pod shifters that SUCK!!! Anything would be better. Hey get that bike and we'll do some tradsies :D

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Lx is "better" than just plain deore. RM is right dont worry about replacing these parts now. Ride the heck out of them and replace them when they wear out or break.

Originally posted by Heidi
LX, I think it goes Deore, DX, LX, XT, XTR.
Heidi is right...and the really lower end components are Acera and Alivio...steer clear of those. There are also shimano airlines which is the creme de la creme, but these are basically put on downhill bikes. Go to www.shimano.com and you can read all about the characteristics of each component group...

Originally posted by LeatherFace

Heidi is right...and the really lower end components are Acera and Alivio...steer clear of those. There are also shimano airlines which is the creme de la creme, but these are basically put on downhill bikes. Go to www.shimano.com and you can read all about the characteristics of each component group...
I have alivio on my rockhopper now - I know you are jealous - but it's ok, cuz I've beat the crap out of it, and now it's going BYE BYE.

Anyone want to buy a "slightly" used RH?

:D :D

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
Rockies are great bikes, made by human hands in Vancouver. The powdercoat paint jobs are indestructible. I have a Slayer, which is the Element on steroids. Check out www.rocky-mountain.com or www.simonsbikeshop.com for specs. I've always liked Rocky bikes; they have kind of a cult status here in the Northwest, even though they don't spend as much cash on advertising and coolness as Kona. The Element is a great X-C bike. It's light and climbs well. If you analyse the linkage, it is really a swing-link like Specialized uses (except it's not a true Horst link), so it's really active in all situations. No bouncy-peddling or brake-lock-up high-pivot stuff. If you're into really pushing your descending limits, I'd think about the Slayer. More travel and heavier, but climbs OK if you like a good workout and descends like it's on a rail.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Youhardly see any Rocky Mountain bikes here in the Northeastern U.S. At least, I haven't seen too many. I had never even heard of them until my wife's cousin bought one.

I've taken mine on three XC rides so far. I love it! I climbed a hill the other day better than I ever climbed it before!

I'm ordering it today!!

We are having a hard time deciding which size to order because the shop doesn't have any in stock to try and the catalog doesn't list standover height!!

I think I've found my new LBS though, they are so cool - one of the owners' wives rides the Instinct in what we think is my size so she's bringing it in for me to try today. Now THAT'S service! Course what does she care, she probably gets a new bike every year lol.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
We've had NOTHING but good service and plenty of ass-kissing while shopping for a bike! All of the sales people have been very friendly, no pressure, and have taken time to answer questions and explain the bikes. You'd think they would try to push the more expensive bikes, but not a single one has done that. Well, there was one guy at a shop near Mount Snow that wasn't too helpful, but he was just a punk kid anyway who didn't know his head from his ass.

B-Loco

Chimp
Aug 13, 2001
South Florida
That's good to hear! We need more postive LBS stories like that! Down here it's horrible. I actually drive 1 hour up north when I need my bike to be worked on. It's the only shop I trust.

Oh the stories I have about the local shops here....don't even get my started!

anyways!!! Mtnbikechick I hope you enjoy your new ride! It def. looks sweet! You'll have to post some pics of you and Baboon in action on your new rides!

Do you think you'll get your new ride before this weekend? It sounds like they might have to order the right size?

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
No Rocky Mountains are not hand made in Vancouver. The really high end Scandiums might be but not the others. They're made off shore in Taiwan and other places like most other brands. At one time they were painted here and they are probably still assembled here but it would be hard to compete doing that. Still very good bikes though.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
Then the rep was telling me stories. He said that the RAD frames at least were made locally and I'm pretty sure he said all the high-end frames also were. But you'd probably know, being a Vangrooverite and up on the bike biz.