Quantcast

Ok, this is the most I have ever spent on a single speed rear cog...

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Rip said:
$37.00 on a Boone Ti Rear cog. Hope I like it.

I hope you do too. I betcha 5 bucks you couldn't tell the difference between that fancy one and one that is way cheaper...

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
valve bouncer said:
$37 isn't that much to spend on a bit of bling. Only matters if you like it or not.
funny you say that.. i m about to drop 80 bones on a king steel cog / lock ring / spacers for liz... quality costs...

plus, i ll pick myself up a red CK headset for the bianchi as well :)

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
partsbara said:
funny you say that.. i m about to drop 80 bones on a king steel cog / lock ring / spacers for liz... quality costs...

plus, i ll pick myself up a red CK headset for the bianchi as well :)
$80? ****. is that USD? why not Surly? or Endless?

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
the Inbred said:
$80? ****. is that USD? why not Surly? or Endless?
yeah... USD... ALL king components... the steel sporcket is 42 alone... plus the lock ring (another 20) and spacers... hell, a decent spacer kit is 25 - 30...

not cheap, but quality costs...

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
the Inbred said:
oi...i'm glad my quality costs $30.

and yeah, spacer kits seem abnormally expensive.
yeah, i could have gone cheaper with a gusset kit or whatever it s called... but i wanted to be able to dial the chainline...

agreed, spacer kits are a freakin rip.....

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
BikeGeek said:
I guess they've gone up? I know I didn't pay more than $30 for mine. :dead:
yeah, they went up right about the time Endless released their (aluminum) Kick Ass Cogs. Surly was supposed to follow suit, but were delayed. their steel cogs are out now, though. $30 for either company's cogs.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
the Inbred said:
yeah, they went up right about the time Endless released their (aluminum) Kick Ass Cogs. Surly was supposed to follow suit, but were delayed. their steel cogs are out now, though. $30 for either company's cogs.
Which are you using and how's it holding up?

I have a 16t King, 18t Endless, and a 19t Surly. The King is holding up rather well for the amount of use it sees. I only had the Endless on for the 2 days I was at SSWC. It was a nice and snug on the splines, but didn't get enough use for me to report on wear. I haven't mounted the Surly yet. It's for my On-One project.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I spent $40 on a King. Had I spent $30, I wonder what I would have done with the extra $10? A double Bacardi & Coke? The office football pool? IRA?

:rolleyes:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i have a steel 16t King and an 18t Endless, as well. the King is on its last leg, after a fair amount of use. the Endless only saw a few months of use, so not enought to really judge. you're right, though, it fits snug on the splines. i dig how tight it is.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
MMcG said:
How's that project coming along??:)
Slowly. :( I haven't purchased any parts in a while because I think my wife got me some for my upcoming birthday. I only need a crank, BB, fork, and wheels, so it will be on the trails by Spring.

J

JRB

I have a 20 tooth Boone cog, and it is nice. I don't ride it now, but it's awfully nice. A lot nicer than the King cog, but a cog not cutting into your freehub is worth something.

J

JRB

BikeGeek said:
Slowly. :( I haven't purchased any parts in a while because I think my wife got me some for my upcoming birthday. I only need a crank, BB, fork, and wheels, so it will be on the trails by Spring.
I have some XTR crank arms and a spot 34 tooth ring, and a not so great bottom bracket, if you are interested.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
loco said:
I have a 20 tooth Boone cog, and it is nice. I don't ride it now, but it's awfully nice. A lot nicer than the King cog, but a cog not cutting into your freehub is worth something.
wear it as a necklace. bling bling

J

JRB

I can do that well with leather. I would prefer to see some nice cowboy saddles, boots, or leggings.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
loco said:
I have some XTR crank arms and a spot 34 tooth ring, and a not so great bottom bracket, if you are interested.
Thanks, but I'm pretty sure I'm getting myself an Eno for my birthday.
:drool: