Quantcast

OK, who's a licensed electrician?

I want to run a sub-feed from my garage to a shed. Total run will be about 150', 100 of which is outside. It needs to supply
  • 30A 120 V to a camper
  • 20A to a quad outlet inside the shed.
  • One exterior and one exterior light. Could be a 15 A circuit, would probably wire it up 20.
I'm presuming that I'd run 120 V over to the shed, install a breaker box there.

What gauge for the feed?
What capacity for the breaker box?

Not sure if I'll run conduit in the outside run or not. Suggestions appreciated, I understand the upcoming abuse as normal.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I want to run a sub-feed from my garage to a shed. Total run will be about 150', 100 of which is outside. It needs to supply
  • 30A 120 V to a camper
  • 20A to a quad outlet inside the shed.
  • One exterior and one exterior light. Could be a 15 A circuit, would probably wire it up 20.
I'm presuming that I'd run 120 V over to the shed, install a breaker box there.

What gauge for the feed?
What capacity for the breaker box?

Not sure if I'll run conduit in the outside run or not. Suggestions appreciated, I understand the upcoming abuse as normal.
Where do on getting the power from? Existing distribution box? Check existing supply and how much extra you have.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
What kind of lights are you running? Surely 10A would be heaps, even on 120V.

I'm a licenced sparkie, but only in Australia but we have 230V mains and metric cable sizing along with different wiring rules so I can't answer unfortunately. For calculating cable size, you'll need to take into account both the circuit total capacity and well as the potential for volt drop along its length. The cable size will also be affected by the routing (underground, clipped, aerial).

What kind of lights are you running? Surely 10A would be heaps, even on 120V.

I'm a licenced sparkie, but only in Australia but we have 230V mains and metric cable sizing along with different wiring rules so I can't answer unfortunately. For calculating cable size, you'll need to take into account both the circuit total capacity and well as the potential for volt drop along its length. The cable size will also be affected by the routing (underground, clipped, aerial).
The lights consume virtually nothing. Smallest commonly available circuit breaker is 15 amperes.

For the 100' run from garage to shed, underground.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Go to Radioshack buy a whole mess of speaker wire. The thick stuff or whatever they got. Or maybe find a abandoned house nearby, break in, and help yourself. Get some Black Electrical tape, you will definitely need some. For whatever reason I am not sure. But don't cheap out and get plenty.
Go all willy nilly and hook that shit up. Make sure the breaker is off or the person hooking it up to the pole is wearing rubber gloves. Remember safety first. Use a wooden ladder for extra safety. Turn on the breaker. If sparks go flying through the air. Its hooked up wrong. Crack a beer and start over. Eventually you will figure it out. Oh yeah you're going to need some wirenuts and ammo. While you are at it get more beer also. Your welcome....

I was lucky. Everything was hooked up when I moved in....

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
not an electrician nor did i stay at a holiday inn express so i have nothing.
I am sure your more then capable of buying beer. Can you get some weed also? The good BarS hot dogs are on sale at Aldis. Can you pick up some? Bring some rubber gloves also. Are you afraid of heights?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The lights consume virtually nothing. Smallest commonly available circuit breaker is 15 amperes.

For the 100' run from garage to shed, underground.
Ah okies, we can get 6A and 10A here and use smaller cables as the voltage is double.

Again, I'm unsure on US wiring regulations so double check with a local sparky regarding your rules. I'd definitely use conduit for an underground run, although not strictly necessary with bedding sand it just tends to avoid problems. If you size the conduit generously and do have a problem with the cable, you can pull another one in without having to re-dig the trench.

You guys allowed to use PVC conduit over there, or is it all metal due to the cold (I have no idea if Vermont is cold or not - I think its one of those Northern states somewhere....)

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
An Uglys manual should have the requirements for Amps/run/wire sizes. You can get them at Home Depot. Or probably Amazon.

You can just run direct bury cable. I'd prob just run a 30A or 50A sub and wire from there.

Last edited:

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
Overhead or underground?

Overhead buy aluminum service entrance cable

Underground you need to get true distance down over than back up to sub panel as already mentioned uglys will help you calculate wire size based on run make sure you use the chart for wire in conduit or it will be too small the wire will heat up possibly melting insulation causing a short

If it's going underground get it 16-18" deep put about 6" of dirt on it and then lay "buried electric cable" tape in the trench it's like caution tape and can be bought at home depot

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Overhead or underground?

Overhead buy aluminum service entrance cable

Underground you need to get true distance down over than back up to sub panel as already mentioned uglys will help you calculate wire size based on run make sure you use the chart for wire in conduit or it will be too small the wire will heat up possibly melting insulation causing a short

If it's going underground get it 16-18" deep put about 6" of dirt on it and then lay "buried electric cable" tape in the trench it's like caution tape and can be bought at home depot
He lives in vermont. I suspect this will just be a series of coat hangers hooked together.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Can you put the lights on the outlet breaker? Run a 50 amp sub panel and use two 30 amp breakers, one for the camper and another for lights/outlet/electric wok.

Base plan is to run it underground; I have a big coil of aluminum service entrance cable from an old 50 A sub-feed to another garage, but stringing it overhead would be a big PITA, nothing to hang it on at the shed end.

@toodles, PVC's allowed, but most underground installations with PVC that I observe up here get torn up by frost heaves within a year or two.

Not sure if I'm going to do it myself or hire it out.