Quantcast

OK, WTF is THIS event?

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Some guys (or girl)slides on their privates on ice and pushes this.....thing, and two people sweep the ice in front of it all the way down...

WTF is this? This is a sport?

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
sirknight6 said:
Some guys (or girl)slides on their privates on ice and pushes this.....thing, and two people sweep the ice in front of it all the way down...

WTF is this? This is a sport?
It is curling, and it is one of my favorite events of the Olympics, and I don't know why.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Weird...the brushing is hysterical....

It doesn't look so easy...

Intriguing non-the-less....and addictive...in a geek can't play football kinda way...

:p

Thanks for the info...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
sirknight6 said:
Weird...the brushing is hysterical....

It doesn't look so easy...

Intriguing non-the-less....and addictive...in a geek can't play football kinda way...

:p

Thanks for the info...
The brushing actually does alot. The more they brush, the straighter the rock goes. When they brush it polishes the ice (as well as gets **** like hair and dust off of it). This allows the rock to go straighter and firther depending on the speed it was thrown.

The ice isn't smooth, it is pebbled. They water it with this inverted garden hose nozel type that that lets out little droplets. This is what the rock grips on.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
It really was quit addicting....and the through, or roll or slide looks to take a lot of practice....

I enjoyed it, but not knowing what it was or what the rules were was driving me mad...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
sirknight6 said:
It really was quit addicting....and the through, or roll or slide looks to take a lot of practice....

I enjoyed it, but not knowing what it was or what the rules were was driving me mad...
Rules are pretty simple, the closest to the button (the center dot) gets a point. If you have 3 closer then any of your opponents rocks, you get 3 points. Each of the 4 team members get's two rocks. Shots alternate (one blue, one yellow) all the way through the order. The last guy to go is the team captain (skipper). When you get to throw the last rock, it is called getting the hammer. This is because you can clean out the house and hopefully score at least one point if the other team isn't guarding it with well placed rocks.Thsi alternates each end (set of rocks).

You can't touch the edges or go out the back of the house (theres a line behind the large target thing and one about 8ft in front - this is the house).

When you throw, you need to release before the front house end at that line.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Movie - Men with Brooms....

hey, why won't the image link work?

It's a Canadian sport. If you had as much winter as they do, you'd invent things to do with rocks and ice, too.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Secret Squirrel said:
I can prolly figure out my own set of rules for this one...but give me some details of your version...!!!:blah:
Too many years and beers ago for me to remember - just had one HELLOVA night at Mt. Tremblant about 4 or so years ago that started with curling on the TV...

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
kinghami3 said:
It is curling, and it is one of my favorite events of the Olympics, and I don't know why.
it is pretty cool once you understand what is actually happening there!!! I have always liked it myself!!!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i went curling once, it was unique. Canada's version of Bowling....

Actually when i was a kid i went to Vancouver on a soccer exchange and played bowling with little balls. Much better for kid sized hands.

But yah it's fun to actually go out and play, they have kind of free lessons at a rink up here.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Skookum said:
i went curling once, it was unique. Canada's version of Bowling....

Actually when i was a kid i went to Vancouver on a soccer exchange and played bowling with little balls. Much better for kid sized hands.

But yah it's fun to actually go out and play, they have kind of free lessons at a rink up here.
Again, Scottish, not Canadian.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
IMO, its super lame but I am so suprised people never heard of this game before???

and dont they also use the brooms to "curl" the rock to a better location

LeRoy

Monkey
Apr 11, 2002
Wellington - NZ
Transcend said:
Rules are pretty simple, the closest to the button (the center dot) gets a point. If you have 3 closer then any of your opponents rocks, you get 3 points. Each of the 4 team members get's two rocks. Shots alternate (one blue, one yellow) all the way through the order. The last guy to go is the team captain (skipper). When you get to throw the last rock, it is called getting the hammer. This is because you can clean out the house and hopefully score at least one point if the other team isn't guarding it with well placed rocks.Thsi alternates each end (set of rocks).

You can't touch the edges or go out the back of the house (theres a line behind the large target thing and one about 8ft in front - this is the house).

When you throw, you need to release before the front house end at that line.
The man speaks the truth... mostly. The hammer does not change hands in alternating ends. The hammer changes hands when a team scores points in an end. If your team scores points, the other team will have the hammer in the following end. To score points without the benefit of the hammer is to "steal" them.

Curling geek out.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
LeRoy said:
The man speaks the truth... mostly. The hammer does not change hands in alternating ends. The hammer changes hands when a team scores points in an end. If your team scores points, the other team will have the hammer in the following end. To score points without the benefit of the hammer is to "steal" them.

Curling geek out.
Ya, that's a good point - completely forgot that is how it worked. Been awhile since I played.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
douglas said:
IMO, its super lame but I am so suprised people never heard of this game before???

and dont they also use the brooms to "curl" the rock to a better location
Try it before you bag on it. Also, read my post about how it works.