Quantcast

OK you mofos are gonna think I'm nuts but 6Al4V Ti Saint pedal washers

BlackAthlete

Monkey
Apr 8, 2008
Things have been kind of slow at work so I decided to make some 6Al4V Ti Saint pedal washers to replace the black steel ones that come with the crankset.

I wasn't really looking at this as a weight savings deal although you do save 3 grams a pair. My main motivation was to space the pedal slightly outwards to keep my ankles off the crank arms. I hate when that happens.

Ti Saint pedal washer

Side view showing additional thickness (which is roughly about 6/10 of a millimeter thicker than stock)

Normal Saint washer which is flush

Pair of new washers

So I gain about .63 mm per side of clearance and lose 3 grams. Not huge numbers but if it helps with keeping my ankles off the crankarms then it's worth it for sure.

I made a bunch so if anyone wants a set, PM me.

BlackAthlete

Monkey
Apr 8, 2008
I need to acquire some thinner ones. That stock washer is so thick, my atomlab pedals don't get a very good purchase in the threads. It's hard to keep them tight.
I was considering this when I was on the lathe which is why I didn't go for a full millimeter per washer. I'll be running Straitlines which I have on order so I'm not sure how much thread each axle has yet. I have a feeling it will be ok as 0.6 mm only equals about a thread at most but likely less most as standard pedals all have 20 threads per inch and 0.6 mm = 0.025"

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
haha, sorry to chime in like this, but i know some roadies that would like those. to help their q-factor

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
You do realize that your feet can move on pedals?

If your natural foot positioning lends to ankle bashing, moving your pedals 0.6 mm out from center is going to achieve nothing. You are just going to naturally move your foot further inboard on the pedal and be in the same relative position WRT the crank.

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Agree with davep. You also get the added problem of the more you space your pedals out the less thread is actually in the crank arm and the more likely you are to rip them out.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I worked a lot last year to get my feet further out on the pedals. Not because of crank rub but to get more room for the bike to move. With the 5.10 all you need is a little contact with the outer part of the pedal.

BlackAthlete

Monkey
Apr 8, 2008
Agree with davep. You also get the added problem of the more you space your pedals out the less thread is actually in the crank arm and the more likely you are to rip them out.
That's why I only went out .6 mm, which isn't much. Just enough to give me that mental edge.

And yes I know I can move my feet on the pedals.

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
I worked a lot last year to get my feet further out on the pedals. Not because of crank rub but to get more room for the bike to move. With the 5.10 all you need is a little contact with the outer part of the pedal.
got my first pair of 5.10's yesterday. Have to say this is by far one of the best "riding-improving" purchase I've made in years. Also noticed how I can just put my feet on the pedals and forget about them. Before with my skater shoes I had to feel some contact with the whole pedal or the crank to feel safe on them. Maybe you are the same and the 5.10's might help.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
how much would a set cost? I need something like that for my Roadie. tks
(I need to add Q to my ride)

BlackAthlete

Monkey
Apr 8, 2008
Well an 8" section of 1" OD 6Al4V titanium rod is about 225 bucks right now and that's the minimum my metal supply would get me.

What cranks do you have on your road bike? Do they have an indentation for pedal washers? Seems like most cranks do not.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
You do realize that your feet can move on pedals?

If your natural foot positioning lends to ankle bashing, moving your pedals 0.6 mm out from center is going to achieve nothing. You are just going to naturally move your foot further inboard on the pedal and be in the same relative position WRT the crank.
I am in agreeance, but at teh same time, I might be interested in ordering a set of ten or so, I know some roadies with a Hardon for Ti parts that really would be more for the.... Look at what I got factor

BlackAthlete

Monkey
Apr 8, 2008
I understand that these KCNC worshipping roadies love the Ti bits.

I'll make you a bunch if you give me dimensions.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Some pedal bodies are closer to the threads than others too...
I had to make some new washers for the saint cranks on my big bike because I stupidly managed to lose one. :D I didn't have any Ti laying around though, and used brass instead.

BlackAthlete

Monkey
Apr 8, 2008
I have these in both Saint and regular (i.e. Truvativ Stylo) styles, 20 a pair shipped. I rode the Saint one last weekend and they worked well. I didn't hit my cranks once.

PM me if interested.

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
just to add to this thread, I ordered a set of these Ti pedal washers from the BlackAthlete, they are really well made, look pretty good. I use DX spd's and I used to have the problem of occasionally hitting my ankle off the crank arms. But since using these washers, it seems to have gone away...dunno maybe its pyschological, but I noticed a difference, mainly because my ankles weren't sore after a weekend of riding?!
I am delighted with my purchase, good work BlackAthlete!
I say get a set...see what you think!

BlackAthlete

Monkey
Apr 8, 2008
Thanks Rayhaan. I do think there is an advantage as I haven't hit my ankles yet with the new washers, even though they only space the pedal out only a marginal amount. I think it's totally psychological but it works for me so far.

I've got a few sets of Saints and a bunch of normal crank ones if anyone is interested. PM me.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Post a link to the shoes you are talking about my man.
eh? You don't know about 5.10's? Brother you are missing the boat and it's not hype. Take a look at every single World Cup pro who wears flats & they will all have on a pair of 5.10 shoes. Stealth Rubber on the soles is a intermediate compound climbing shoe rubber that is firm and high friction with a slow rebound quality to it.

So when you put your foot on a pedal, the rubber isn't trying to push the pins out of the shoe, but lets them settle in the rubber a little. The high friction nature keeps your feet from sliding on the pedal. You can run shallower pins & have traction no matter where your foot is on the pedal.

http://www.fiveten.com Click on Footwear / Freeride . Don't get the "Basic"...it's just a casual shoe for street, etc. You want the Impact.
Go-ride's got 'em http://www.go-ride.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=FOR+THE+RIDER:Footwear:Five.Ten and if you need more style, Marzocchi has them in their own colorways:
white/black
black/purple
http://www.marzocchistore.com/template/listSPAMerchandise.asp?IDFolder=209&Sito=usa-mtb&LN=UK

BlackAthlete

Monkey
Apr 8, 2008
One thing. Why Did you not make them out of aluminium? I work at a suspension shop and we have a full machine shop. I made some out of aluminium. They are holding up great. It is way cheaper. And it is lighter then Ti.
True the Al is cheaper but I figured they used steel in the original application for a reason so I substituted in Ti. Also, machining aluminum is no challenge. Ti is better for building my skill set. Also, the point is durability which I guarantee you Ti wins over Al any day.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Hey this thread is back up, I too bought a set for a roadie friend of mine, and Damn those things are tough as hell. Absolutly no distorting when installing the pedal like you see with the steel washers. These bad boys show some pretty god machine work

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i run saint and am pretty die hard about them, and like kidwoo said with atomlabs they arent amazing...

i need a set of these, and i would normally make fun of a product like this, im running my setup without washers right now...w00p-s